acpi and msgsrv32

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by J.Wilson, May 28, 2004.

  1. J.Wilson

    J.Wilson Guest

    I'm using athlon1400, gigabyte ga-7vtx mb with
    win98se. Power management is set to standby after
    30 mins. Recovering from standby the screen
    freezes with just the systray bar showing along the
    bottom. Ctrl-Alt-Del brings up the following:

    Explorer (Not responding)
    Stimon
    Systray
    Dslagent
    Gsicon
    Msgsrv32 (Not responding)

    Ctrl-Alt-Del has to be pressed four times before the
    machine will re-boot. Then it runs OK.

    Google tells me it is probably caused by acpi associated
    with another program but my attempts to resolve it have
    just caused other problems.

    Would appreciate any input.

    John
    J.Wilson, May 28, 2004

  2. J.Wilson

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "J.Wilson" <> wrote in news:vwutc.10997
    $:

    > I'm using athlon1400, gigabyte ga-7vtx mb with
    > win98se. Power management is set to standby after
    > 30 mins. Recovering from standby the screen
    > freezes with just the systray bar showing along the
    > bottom. Ctrl-Alt-Del brings up the following:
    >
    > Explorer (Not responding)
    > Stimon
    > Systray
    > Dslagent
    > Gsicon
    > Msgsrv32 (Not responding)
    >
    > Ctrl-Alt-Del has to be pressed four times before the
    > machine will re-boot. Then it runs OK.
    >
    > Google tells me it is probably caused by acpi associated
    > with another program but my attempts to resolve it have
    > just caused other problems.
    >
    > Would appreciate any input.
    >
    > John

    Have you tried reducing the video acceleration slide bar as a
    troubleshooting method? Try updated or older video drivers.
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, May 28, 2004

  3. J.Wilson

    J.Wilson Guest

    "Dave Taylor" <> wrote in message
    > "J.Wilson" <> wrote in news:vwutc.10997
    > $:

    > Have you tried reducing the video acceleration slide bar as a
    > troubleshooting method? Try updated or older video drivers.
    > Ciao, Dave

    Yes. No difference.
    J.Wilson, May 28, 2004
  4. J.Wilson

    Bart Guest

    "J.Wilson" <> wrote in message
    > I'm using athlon1400, gigabyte ga-7vtx mb with
    > win98se. Power management is set to standby after
    > 30 mins. Recovering from standby the screen
    > freezes with just the systray bar showing along the
    > bottom. Ctrl-Alt-Del brings up the following:
    >
    > Explorer (Not responding)
    > Stimon
    > Systray
    > Dslagent
    > Gsicon
    > Msgsrv32 (Not responding)
    >
    > Ctrl-Alt-Del has to be pressed four times before the
    > machine will re-boot. Then it runs OK.
    >
    > Google tells me it is probably caused by acpi associated
    > with another program but my attempts to resolve it have
    > just caused other problems.
    >
    > Would appreciate any input.
    >
    > John

    I had this problem a couple of years ago. Replaced msgsvr32 with a more
    recent version (win ME from memory). checkout http://support.microsoft.com/
    Bart, May 29, 2004