    Full article here:
    http://www.freedom-to-tinker.com/?p=893

    Imhotep

    Imhotep, Sep 16, 2005

  2. Definitely cool. I bet the Feds had this years ago though, kind of like
    those evm? things that pick up what you are viewing on your monitor
    from a good distance.

    Brett Michaels From Poison, Sep 16, 2005

  3. Imhotep

    Imhotep Guest

    Brett Michaels From Poison wrote:

    > Definitely cool. I bet the Feds had this years ago though, kind of like
    > those evm? things that pick up what you are viewing on your monitor
    > from a good distance.

    Ya, I thought that was pretty interesting. I am sure, as you pointed out,
    some gov't agency is already using it...

    Imhotep

    Imhotep, Sep 16, 2005
  4. Imhotep

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 13:47:42 -0400, Imhotep <>
    wrote:

    >Brett Michaels From Poison wrote:
    >
    >> Definitely cool. I bet the Feds had this years ago though, kind of like
    >> those evm? things that pick up what you are viewing on your monitor
    >> from a good distance.

    >Ya, I thought that was pretty interesting. I am sure, as you pointed out,
    >some gov't agency is already using it...

    Read the book 'Spycatcher' - they were doing it with manual
    typewriters years ago when they were state of the art.

    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Sep 16, 2005
  5. Theres something thats always intriguing and entertaining about
    espionage..especially now in the tech age, where basically anyone can
    invent new measures virtually..but as fascinating that is..it's also
    equally if not moreso scary. Bon voyage privacy.

    Brett Michaels From Poison, Sep 16, 2005
  6. Imhotep

    Imhotep Guest

    Jim Watt wrote:

    > On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 13:47:42 -0400, Imhotep <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Brett Michaels From Poison wrote:
    >>
    >>> Definitely cool. I bet the Feds had this years ago though, kind of like
    >>> those evm? things that pick up what you are viewing on your monitor
    >>> from a good distance.

    >>Ya, I thought that was pretty interesting. I am sure, as you pointed out,
    >>some gov't agency is already using it...

    > Read the book 'Spycatcher' - they were doing it with manual
    > typewriters years ago when they were state of the art.

    Who is the author?

    Imhotep, Sep 16, 2005
  7. Imhotep

    Imhotep Guest

    Brett Michaels From Poison wrote:

    > Theres something thats always intriguing and entertaining about
    > espionage..especially now in the tech age, where basically anyone can
    > invent new measures virtually..but as fascinating that is..it's also
    > equally if not moreso scary. Bon voyage privacy.

    Yes. I think the trend will slowly (so as not to raise too much suspicion)
    errode away people's Internet privacy. I read an article the other day how
    the US is sponsoring research to have better tracking on VoIP phones.

    Imhotep

    Imhotep, Sep 16, 2005
  8. On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 20:57:30 +0200, in alt.computer.security , Jim
    Watt <_way> in
    <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 13:47:42 -0400, Imhotep <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Brett Michaels From Poison wrote:
    >>
    >>> Definitely cool. I bet the Feds had this years ago though, kind of like
    >>> those evm? things that pick up what you are viewing on your monitor
    >>> from a good distance.

    >>Ya, I thought that was pretty interesting. I am sure, as you pointed out,
    >>some gov't agency is already using it...

    >Read the book 'Spycatcher' - they were doing it with manual
    >typewriters years ago when they were state of the art.

    Weren't they listening to the ball on the Selectric? Or was that a
    different story? What is new about this, I suspect, is that they have
    software that can figure things out. But I also suspect you have to be
    a consistent typist. If you do a bit of work and some web sites and
    then some excel it will be harder to work out the keystrokes.
    "English" is only valid for one of those and then only during the
    initial writing process, not the editing.

    --
    Matt Silberstein

    Do something today about the Darfur Genocide

    Genocide is news | Be A Witness
    http://www.beawitness.org

    "Darfur: A Genocide We can Stop"
    www.darfurgenocide.org

    Save Darfur.org :: Violence and Suffering in Sudan's Darfur Region
    http://www.savedarfur.org/

    Matt Silberstein, Sep 16, 2005
  9. On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 16:01:44 -0400, in alt.computer.security , Imhotep
    <> in <> wrote:

    >Jim Watt wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 13:47:42 -0400, Imhotep <>
    >> wrote:

    >>>Ya, I thought that was pretty interesting. I am sure, as you pointed out,
    >>>some gov't agency is already using it...

    >> Read the book 'Spycatcher' - they were doing it with manual
    >> typewriters years ago when they were state of the art.

    >Who is the author?

    Peter Wright, a British spy. The book was banned pre-publication in
    Britain because he gave away "secrets". But I am pretty sure I read
    about type writer stuff before that. I know they could do it with the
    Selectric ball and maybe even before that. But it was quite difficult
    and that was only because they had people who sat and typed all day
    long. We don't have that kind of thing today (except on the Usenet).
    What was significant about this was that the software could figure
    things out.

    Matt Silberstein, Sep 16, 2005
  10. Imhotep

    Winged Guest

    Imhotep wrote:
    > Brett Michaels From Poison wrote:
    >

    >>Definitely cool. I bet the Feds had this years ago though, kind of like
    >>those evm? things that pick up what you are viewing on your monitor
    >>from a good distance.

    > Ya, I thought that was pretty interesting. I am sure, as you pointed out,
    > some gov't agency is already using it...
    >

    > Imhotep

    Actually this technique has some issues for many uses, ear (microphone)
    devices can be detected far easier than devices typically used in snooping.

    Winged

    Winged, Sep 18, 2005
  11. Imhotep

    Imhotep Guest

    Winged wrote:

    > Re: ACOUSTIC SNOOPING ON TYPED INFORMATION
    > From:
    > Winged <>
    > Date:
    > Sunday 18 September 2005 11:20:54 am
    > Groups:
    > alt.computer.security
    >
    > Imhotep wrote:
    >> Brett Michaels From Poison wrote:
    >>

    >>>Definitely cool. I bet the Feds had this years ago though, kind of like
    >>>those evm? things that pick up what you are viewing on your monitor
    >>>from a good distance.

    True, but remember the ability to use lasers off of windows to get
    sound? ;-)

    It is the primary reason the CIA head quarters has to layers to it's walls
    (with music being played in between)....

    Let the conspiracies begin! :)
    Im

    Imhotep, Sep 18, 2005
  12. Imhotep

    Winged Guest

    Imhotep wrote:
    > Winged wrote:
    >

    >>Re: ACOUSTIC SNOOPING ON TYPED INFORMATION
    >>From:
    >>Winged <>
    >>Date:
    >>Sunday 18 September 2005 11:20:54 am
    >>Groups:
    >>alt.computer.security
    >>
    >>Imhotep wrote:

    > True, but remember the ability to use lasers off of windows to get
    > sound? ;-)
    >
    > It is the primary reason the CIA head quarters has to layers to it's walls
    > (with music being played in between)....
    >
    > Let the conspiracies begin! :)
    > Im

    Quit spooking me out...back to the old squishy quiet keyboards...I hate
    those things...I am well aware of lasers n glass shucks even saw a
    commercial of the shelf on net...some bright boy gonna make us buy
    squishy keyboards again...someone shoot me please...

    Yes i was thinking direct listening devices...wasn't thinking
    lasers..which can be done at very long ranges invisibly..hell to get old.

    Winged

    Winged, Sep 19, 2005
  13. Imhotep

    Imhotep Guest

    Winged wrote:

    > Imhotep wrote:
    >> Winged wrote:
    >>

    >>>Re: ACOUSTIC SNOOPING ON TYPED INFORMATION
    >>>From:
    >>>Winged <>
    >>>Date:
    >>>Sunday 18 September 2005 11:20:54 am
    >>>Groups:
    >>>alt.computer.security

    >> True, but remember the ability to use lasers off of windows to get
    >> sound? ;-)
    >>
    >> It is the primary reason the CIA head quarters has to layers to it's
    >> walls (with music being played in between)....
    >>
    >> Let the conspiracies begin! :)
    >> Im

    > Quit spooking me out...back to the old squishy quiet keyboards...I hate
    > those things...I am well aware of lasers n glass shucks even saw a
    > commercial of the shelf on net...some bright boy gonna make us buy
    > squishy keyboards again...someone shoot me please...

    LOL...

    > Yes i was thinking direct listening devices...wasn't thinking
    > lasers..which can be done at very long ranges invisibly..hell to get old.
    >
    > Winged

    Imhotep

    Imhotep, Sep 19, 2005
  14. Imhotep

    Hootowl Guest

    On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 22:42:41 -0500, Winged <>
    wrote:

    >Imhotep wrote:
    >> Winged wrote:
    >>

    >>>Re: ACOUSTIC SNOOPING ON TYPED INFORMATION
    >>>From:
    >>>Winged <>
    >>>Date:
    >>>Sunday 18 September 2005 11:20:54 am
    >>>Groups:
    >>>alt.computer.security

    >> True, but remember the ability to use lasers off of windows to get
    >> sound? ;-)
    >>
    >> It is the primary reason the CIA head quarters has to layers to it's walls
    >> (with music being played in between)....
    >>
    >> Let the conspiracies begin! :)
    >> Im

    >Quit spooking me out...back to the old squishy quiet keyboards...I hate
    >those things...I am well aware of lasers n glass shucks even saw a
    >commercial of the shelf on net...some bright boy gonna make us buy
    >squishy keyboards again...someone shoot me please...
    >
    >Yes i was thinking direct listening devices...wasn't thinking
    >lasers..which can be done at very long ranges invisibly..hell to get old.

    Simple cure-window screens.

    Hootowl, Sep 20, 2005