    TIA.

    Jack.
    , May 15, 2007

  2. Peter Guest

    Hi Jack,

    > The question I have is as ip and icmp are both network protocols do I
    > have to implicitly deny icmp or is it sufficient to have deny ip any
    > any.

    ip is the container for icmp, udp & tcp.

    Cheers................pk.

    --
    Peter from Auckland.
    Peter, May 15, 2007

  3. Trendkill Guest

    On May 15, 1:23 am, "" <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have an interesting issue.
    > On a 7200 router I have applied an extended access list with permit
    > and deny of tcp, udp, and ip.
    > The question I have is as ip and icmp are both network protocols do I
    > have to implicitly deny icmp or is it sufficient to have deny ip any
    > any.
    >
    > TIA.
    >
    > Jack.

    Yes, you could permit icmp, and deny IP, and icmp would be allowed
    through. But if you denied IP first, icmp would be nixed. I think
    (based on your question), that you want to deny icmp, therefore deny
    ip any any should take care of it provided you aren't allowing it
    through higher up on the list.
    Trendkill, May 15, 2007