    service manual. Clock has been keeping very accurate time for
    about a year and suddenly doesn't. Any info. leading to discovery
    of CMOS battery in Travelmate 800 greatly appreciated.

    Spike, Dec 12, 2004

  2. I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Sat,
    11 Dec 2004 18:13:16 -0700, "Spike" <>
    screamed from behind the mulberry bush:

    >Acer Travelmate laptop with XP-SP2. Clock (SysTray) loses
    >large amounts of time. Would seem like CMOS battery, however
    >no other indications of weak CMOS batt. Unable to find any
    >indication of the existence of a CMOS battery on Google. Fact
    >is, when calling tech. at Acer tech seems unsure if it even has
    >one, and if it does may be embedded in some assembly inasmuch
    >as it does not appear on the parts list. Acer will not release a
    >service manual. Clock has been keeping very accurate time for
    >about a year and suddenly doesn't. Any info. leading to discovery
    >of CMOS battery in Travelmate 800 greatly appreciated.

    It has a CMOS battery but it's probably proprietary. If your system is
    still under warranty, they don't want to fix as it is buried, as you
    have mentioned, under a bunch of components.

    Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor, Dec 12, 2004

  3. Spike

    Spike Guest

    Thanks for the reply. Rumor had it that
    a large capacitor had replaced it. It's one
    month out of warranty. Since it's out of
    warranty they would be glad for me to send
    it in. But, I never have had a CMOS battery
    fail with less than two years before and based
    on past experience with manufacturer repair
    departments would dread sending it in, especially
    when they aren't even sure if it even has a
    CMOS battery. Thanks

    Spike, Dec 12, 2004
  4. I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Sat,
    11 Dec 2004 19:33:12 -0700, "Spike" <>
    screamed from behind the mulberry bush:

    >Thanks for the reply. Rumor had it that
    >a large capacitor had replaced it. It's one
    >month out of warranty. Since it's out of
    >warranty they would be glad for me to send
    >it in. But, I never have had a CMOS battery
    >fail with less than two years before and based
    >on past experience with manufacturer repair
    >departments would dread sending it in, especially
    >when they aren't even sure if it even has a
    >CMOS battery. Thanks

    Never heard of anyone using a large capacitor before but I imagine
    they would put one in on the cheap. However, it doesn't surprise me
    that the capacitor would blow so soon as there was a run of cheap ass
    Chinese caps that are prone to go bad. Good luck.

    Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor, Dec 12, 2004
  5. Spike

    Noel Paton Guest

    Is it losing time while switched on, or off?
    If losing time while on, then there's something running in the background
    that's interfering with it - if while off, then it's almost certainly the
    CMOS Battery

    AFAIK, there is no such thing as a large enough capacitor that could take
    the place of the CMOS battery - except for very short spaces of time (such
    as changing the battery).

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    Noel Paton, Dec 12, 2004
  6. Spike

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Noel Paton" <> wrote in message
    | Is it losing time while switched on, or off?
    | If losing time while on, then there's something running in the background
    | that's interfering with it - if while off, then it's almost certainly the
    | CMOS Battery
    |
    | AFAIK, there is no such thing as a large enough capacitor that could take
    | the place of the CMOS battery - except for very short spaces of time (such
    | as changing the battery).

    Well, not in a stinkin' notebook <g>! I imagine if you had a big enough cap,
    you could go a few days 'powerless'...

    Toolman Tim, Dec 12, 2004
  7. Spike

    bujangsigandam

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    does anyone know the model number of the cmos battery for the acer travel mate 800?

    i pulled apart my acer travelmate 800... i want to replace the cmos battery.. but i was just wondering anyone know whats the cmos battery size number or model type? i lost the cmos battery which i wanted to replace so i couldnt remember whats the model type or number. all i know its the cmos battery. k thanks

    bujangsigandam, Jan 15, 2010