    the drive would also be welcome or i will be a good kiwi bloke and
    wing it

    cheers

    me.at@yahoo..co..nz, Oct 28, 2005

  2. me.at@yahoo..co..nz

    Toyota16 Guest

    Have had a look but can only find that it can be upgraded when needed and to
    consult your dealer.

    Toyota16, Oct 29, 2005

  3. me.at@yahoo..co..nz

    Rastus Guest

    On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 21:59:14 +1300, me.at@yahoo..co..nz wrote:

    >Hi all
    >Got hold of a travelmate 512 laptop but found that the hdd is stuffed.
    >It seeks and seeks but finds nothing and it wont format and I have ran
    >a couple of hdd diagnostic programs i have and they say its broke.
    >I have damn small linux on disk and it runs perfect in ram so i reckon
    >it's just the hd thats gone.
    >
    >The ? is can i put a new hdd in.
    >Now most of you are saying of course you can you silly man BUT can i
    >put a new 40gb in they are quite cheap It came with a 4.3gb.
    >
    >The bios says nothing about hd I presume it detects auto.
    >I have played with desktops for awile and have got quite good with
    >them but this is my first laptop.
    >
    >so advice would be welcome and if anyone has details on how to replace
    >the drive would also be welcome or i will be a good kiwi bloke and
    >wing it
    >
    >cheers

    I had one of those exact models and it can be upgraded to a 10gb only
    - according to Acer support.

    Anyway, it was the motherboard that died on mine and a new replacement
    one, if available, would have cost more than a whole laptop.

    Remember, this model of Acer is now about 6 years old - well I bought
    mine in 99.

    Cheers

    Rastus, Oct 29, 2005