    setting here?

    cheers
    BrianM

    BrianM, Dec 2, 2008

  2. BrianM

    Richard Guest

    BrianM wrote:
    > Acer Travelmate notebook (Win XP Pro). Connected cable from Viewsonic 17"
    > LCD monitor to notebook and rebooted. Boot screen graphics came up on the
    > Viewsonic but then switched back to the notebook screen. The notebook is
    > recognising the monitor but is playing hard to get. Have I missed a
    > setting here?
    >
    > cheers
    > BrianM

    Function F-something will toggle the active display.

    Richard, Dec 2, 2008

  3. BrianM

    BrianM Guest

    On Tue, 02 Dec 2008 19:44:21 +1300, Bobs wrote:

    > BrianM wrote:
    >> Acer Travelmate notebook (Win XP Pro). Connected cable from Viewsonic 17"
    >> LCD monitor to notebook and rebooted. Boot screen graphics came up on the
    >> Viewsonic but then switched back to the notebook screen. The notebook is
    >> recognising the monitor but is playing hard to get. Have I missed a
    >> setting here?
    >>
    >> cheers
    >> BrianM
    >>

    > You've set it correctly in the display settings? Sounds like you haven't
    > since it is going back to the laptop when windows boots up (which
    > suggests a display settings for windows is kicking in)
    >
    > What video card do you have?

    From the info provided in the manual and XP it may as well be missing.
    The only thing I can find a mention of anywhere is AGP. In display
    settings there are two monitors listed - flat screen digital monitor (1)
    and the default monitor (2)

    cheers
    BrianM

    BrianM, Dec 4, 2008
  4. BrianM

    BrianM Guest

    On Tue, 02 Dec 2008 20:48:25 +1300, Richard wrote:

    > BrianM wrote:
    >> Acer Travelmate notebook (Win XP Pro). Connected cable from Viewsonic 17"
    >> LCD monitor to notebook and rebooted. Boot screen graphics came up on the
    >> Viewsonic but then switched back to the notebook screen. The notebook is
    >> recognising the monitor but is playing hard to get. Have I missed a
    >> setting here?
    >>
    >> cheers
    >> BrianM

    > Function F-something will toggle the active display.

    Tried all the F keys Richard but didn't move the display.
    It's in the vid configuration somewhere.

    cheers
    BrianM

    BrianM, Dec 4, 2008
  5. BrianM

    Richard Guest

    BrianM wrote:
    > On Tue, 02 Dec 2008 20:48:25 +1300, Richard wrote:
    >
    >> BrianM wrote:
    >>> Acer Travelmate notebook (Win XP Pro). Connected cable from Viewsonic 17"
    >>> LCD monitor to notebook and rebooted. Boot screen graphics came up on the
    >>> Viewsonic but then switched back to the notebook screen. The notebook is
    >>> recognising the monitor but is playing hard to get. Have I missed a
    >>> setting here?
    >>>
    >>> cheers
    >>> BrianM

    >> Function F-something will toggle the active display.

    > Tried all the F keys Richard but didn't move the display.
    > It's in the vid configuration somewhere.

    Well thats just weird because every laptop I have used has used Fn F5 or
    Fn F8 or something similar to toggle displays, it operates at the video
    driver level or something so its not reliant on all the hotkey bullshit
    that most computers come loaded with.

    Richard, Dec 4, 2008
  6. BrianM

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs "" typed:
    > BrianM wrote:

    >>> Function F-something will toggle the active display.

    >> Tried all the F keys Richard but didn't move the display.
    >> It's in the vid configuration somewhere.

    > Well thats just weird because every laptop I have used has used Fn F5
    > or Fn F8 or something similar to toggle displays, it operates at the
    > video driver level or something so its not reliant on all the hotkey
    > bullshit that most computers come loaded with.

    <Fn F7> Here with R40 and R51 IBM ThinkPads. Toggles between laptop only,
    external only, both, then back to laptop only again.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Dec 4, 2008
  7. BrianM

    BrianM Guest

    On Thu, 04 Dec 2008 23:15:28 +1300, Richard wrote:

    > BrianM wrote:

    >>> Function F-something will toggle the active display.

    >> Tried all the F keys Richard but didn't move the display.
    >> It's in the vid configuration somewhere.

    > Well thats just weird because every laptop I have used has used Fn F5 or
    > Fn F8 or something similar to toggle displays, it operates at the video
    > driver level or something so its not reliant on all the hotkey bullshit
    > that most computers come loaded with.

    yeah weird. Tried all the F keys with ctrl alt and shift.
    I have an older Toshiba satellite laptop with win98 and that just switches
    automagically to the remote monitor when it's plugged in.

    cheers
    BrianM

    BrianM, Dec 6, 2008
  8. BrianM

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs "" typed:
    > On Thu, 04 Dec 2008 23:15:28 +1300, Richard wrote:
    >
    >> BrianM wrote:

    >>> Tried all the F keys Richard but didn't move the display.
    >>> It's in the vid configuration somewhere.

    >> Well thats just weird because every laptop I have used has used Fn
    >> F5 or Fn F8 or something similar to toggle displays, it operates at
    >> the video driver level or something so its not reliant on all the
    >> hotkey bullshit that most computers come loaded with.

    > yeah weird. Tried all the F keys with ctrl alt and shift.
    > I have an older Toshiba satellite laptop with win98 and that just
    > switches automagically to the remote monitor when it's plugged in.

    You say "Tried all the F keys with ctrl alt and shift". I take it you've
    tried them with the function (Fn) key as well?
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Dec 7, 2008
  9. BrianM

    BrianM Guest

    On Sun, 07 Dec 2008 13:07:06 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs "" typed:

    >>> Well thats just weird because every laptop I have used has used Fn
    >>> F5 or Fn F8 or something similar to toggle displays, it operates at
    >>> the video driver level or something so its not reliant on all the
    >>> hotkey bullshit that most computers come loaded with.

    >> yeah weird. Tried all the F keys with ctrl alt and shift.
    >> I have an older Toshiba satellite laptop with win98 and that just
    >> switches automagically to the remote monitor when it's plugged in.

    > You say "Tried all the F keys with ctrl alt and shift". I take it you've
    > tried them with the function (Fn) key as well?

    damn, wasn't paying attention in class. will try that tonight.

    cheers

    BrianM, Dec 17, 2008
  10. BrianM

    exjamieus

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    I had a similar problem. The function keys didn't work for me if I was already using the external monitor as a secondary source. (that took me a while to figure out)

    I think the function keys will work for you but try it this way:
    With the external monitor plugged in but not in use, toggle (Function + F5) to the monitor only view. Now with the laptop screen out of use, go to the monitor right click on the desktop go to properties, settings, then activate monitor '2' and check the extend desktop option.

    For some reason the external monitor can't be set as primary if both the monitor and the laptop screen are active. Thus it is also true that you'll need to jump through all the hoops when you want to unplug and go to the coffee shop or where ever.

    exjamieus, Apr 7, 2009