    If not I'm also looking at DELL E2160 same config as ACER (at least in the
    specs in the paper).

    Thanks, Bruce

    CargoTrailerStore, Apr 15, 2008

  2. Thanks was this a dual core model that you had?

    CargoTrailerStore, Apr 16, 2008

  3. On 2008-04-15, CargoTrailerStore <> wrote:
    > I'm looking at a ACER computer in the sale papers and was wondering if they
    > have a good reputation these days.
    >
    > Model AM1100-U1402A
    > has 2 G Mem, 320G HD
    > Dual core AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400
    >
    > If not I'm also looking at DELL E2160 same config as ACER (at least in the
    > specs in the paper).
    >
    > Thanks, Bruce

    I had a nice little Acer laptop which worked find until it got
    corrupted and the stupid recovery partition didn't work. So I loaded
    Linux on it and even the wireless worked OOTB...
    eMachine is a good, cheap alternative as well.

    --
    You may worry about your hair-do today, but tomorrow much peanut butter will
    be sold.

    I_Am_The_Walrus, Apr 16, 2008
  4. CargoTrailerStore

    Mara Guest

    On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 22:15:57 GMT, "CargoTrailerStore"
    <> wrote:

    >I'm looking at a ACER computer in the sale papers and was wondering if they
    >have a good reputation these days.
    >
    >Model AM1100-U1402A
    >has 2 G Mem, 320G HD
    >Dual core AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400
    >
    >If not I'm also looking at DELL E2160 same config as ACER (at least in the
    >specs in the paper).

    I'd take Acer over Dell any day of the week.

    --
    Begin doing what you want to do now. We are not living in eternity.
    We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand -

    Mara, Apr 16, 2008
  5. CargoTrailerStore

    catchme Guest

    CargoTrailerStore wrote:
    > I'm looking at a ACER computer in the sale papers and was wondering if they
    > have a good reputation these days.
    >
    > Model AM1100-U1402A
    > has 2 G Mem, 320G HD
    > Dual core AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400
    >
    > If not I'm also looking at DELL E2160 same config as ACER (at least in the
    > specs in the paper).
    >
    > Thanks, Bruce

    if it comes with xp, buy the amd.
    vista- fahgeddaboudit!
    buy a mac, or learn linux.

    --
    To the States or any one of them, or any city of the States,
    Resist much, obey little,

    -Walt Whitman, 1860

    catchme, Apr 16, 2008
  6. CargoTrailerStore

    catchme Guest

    I_Am_The_Walrus wrote:
    > On 2008-04-15, CargoTrailerStore <> wrote:
    >> I'm looking at a ACER computer in the sale papers and was wondering if they
    >> have a good reputation these days.
    >>
    >> Model AM1100-U1402A
    >> has 2 G Mem, 320G HD
    >> Dual core AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400
    >>
    >> If not I'm also looking at DELL E2160 same config as ACER (at least in the
    >> specs in the paper).
    >>
    >> Thanks, Bruce
    >>

    > I had a nice little Acer laptop which worked find until it got
    > corrupted and the stupid recovery partition didn't work. So I loaded
    > Linux on it and even the wireless worked OOTB...
    > eMachine is a good, cheap alternative as well.

    emachines are crap.
    nothing more than a toy.

    catchme, Apr 16, 2008
  7. CargoTrailerStore

    Mara Guest

    On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 21:20:36 -0500, "tom" <> wrote:

    >"Mara" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 22:15:57 GMT, "CargoTrailerStore"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I'm looking at a ACER computer in the sale papers and was wondering if

    >they
    >> >have a good reputation these days.
    >> >
    >> >Model AM1100-U1402A
    >> >has 2 G Mem, 320G HD
    >> >Dual core AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400
    >> >
    >> >If not I'm also looking at DELL E2160 same config as ACER (at least in

    >the
    >> >specs in the paper).

    >> I'd take Acer over Dell any day of the week.
    >>
    >> >Thanks, Bruce

    >Same here. The Acer I had with Win95 was the most stable dependable machine
    >I've ever owned. I've had a dell for the last 4 years that's been/is nothing
    >but trouble. It's the last dell that will ever be in my house.

    I've purchased 25+ Acers in the past 2 years at work. I've never had one have a
    part fail yet - something I can't say about the Dells or the HP "business"
    machines they had. Or the HP servers, for that matter.

    I'm posting this from my Acer TravelMate 8100. I've had this for quite awhile
    without a single problem, except for accidentally hitting the capslock key all
    the time since the keyboard's curved. (PEBKAC) I wouldn't trade it for any other
    laptop I've used or fixed - not HPs, not Toshibas, not Dells, not Fujitsus.

    --
    "The most precious possession that ever comes to a man
    in this world is a woman's heart." -- Josiah G.

    Mara, Apr 16, 2008
  8. CargoTrailerStore

    thanatoid Guest

    "CargoTrailerStore" <> wrote in

    > I'm looking at a ACER computer in the sale papers and was
    > wondering if they have a good reputation these days.

    <SNIP>

    The ONLY sensible way to purchase a computer is to have one
    built to your specs with the exact components YOU choose, by a
    neighborhood store. You will pay less, get MUCH better hardware,
    no practically un-reinstallable bloated ad-ridden HD with one
    partition (ever tried to defrag a 300GB partition?), and service
    - which you will need sooner or later no matter WHAT you buy
    WHERE - will be a short drive away instead of weeks/months of LD
    calls end emails.

    Even if your nearest friendly neighborhood store is an hour's
    drive away, that's still worth it. Here's what ONE genius who
    posted here (or somewhere) a while ago did: (he lives IN LA -
    where can you get /anything/ cheap? LA or Rotgut, Missouri?) and
    he /mail-ordered/ a computer from MONTANA. And of course, it's
    fucked up and he's whining and up the creek because shipping
    will cost him more than replacing half the damn thing. People
    THAT stupid should be put out of their misery once and for all.

    --
    The lonely child plays with eternity, while a gang of children
    plays with time.

    Karel Capek

    thanatoid, Apr 16, 2008
  9. CargoTrailerStore

    chuckcar Guest

    "CargoTrailerStore" <> wrote in

    > I'm looking at a ACER computer in the sale papers and was wondering if
    > they have a good reputation these days.
    >
    > Model AM1100-U1402A
    > has 2 G Mem, 320G HD
    > Dual core AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400
    >
    > If not I'm also looking at DELL E2160 same config as ACER (at least in
    > the specs in the paper).
    >
    > Thanks, Bruce

    First questions you find an answer to with *any* "consumer" computer are
    1. How many watts output is the power supply: typically they are
    marginal 2. Does the computer have a onboard video 3. Does the video
    have it's own dedicated ram or does it have to grab some system ram. 4.
    How *much* ram does the video card have. 5. What *specific* video
    chipset does the computer have. i.e. is it the companies own "version"
    of a chipset or does it use the same drivers as the one you would buy
    retail in a store. 6. What is the speed of the system ram.

    Without knowing the answers to those questions you cannot properly judge
    how well any computer will perform or last.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Apr 16, 2008
  10. Blinky the Shark, Apr 18, 2008
  11. CargoTrailerStore

    Guest

    , Apr 19, 2008
  12. CargoTrailerStore

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <>
    wrote:

    > "CargoTrailerStore" <> wrote:
    >
    >>I'm looking at a ACER computer in the sale papers and was wondering if they
    >>have a good reputation these days.

    >www.journaldumac.com/images/-2008/02/acer.jpg

    Looks like about 1 of Apple's 6% of the market share was sitting in that
    room. Creepy.

    DevilsPGD, Apr 20, 2008