Acer 64bit Ferrari Laptops - where to buy

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 31, 2004.

  1. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Divine Guest

    On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 13:47:59 +1200, AD. wrote:

    > How is not implementing something 'embrace and extend'?
    >
    > Don't you mean 'embrace and shrink'?

    I mean adopt something - but not exactly the same, and make changes that
    render the two to be incompatible.

    Divine

    --
    The Queen's Mother: "Well I don't know what all you queens are doing,
    but this old Queen wants a drink."

    Divine, Jun 7, 2004

  2. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    AD. Guest

    On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 15:14:00 +1200, Divine wrote:

    > On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 13:47:59 +1200, AD. wrote:
    >
    >> How is not implementing something 'embrace and extend'?
    >>
    >> Don't you mean 'embrace and shrink'?

    > I mean adopt something - but not exactly the same, and make changes that
    > render the two to be incompatible.

    But they aren't incompatible. Don't forget just about everything in the IT
    world is not 100% implemented eg Mozilla doesn't implement 100% of the
    specs etc etc.

    It is vary rare for any given bit of hardware or software to fully
    implement all of every appropriate standard, and that is taken as a given.
    Interoperability is based around the common ground that everyone
    implements.

    There are bigger differences in features between Intel cpus. Software (ie
    the compilers mostly) either ignores those features or checks for which
    one it should use.

    This is no different to AMD leaving out various versions of SSE until
    later generations - does that make them 'embracing and extending'?

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Jun 7, 2004

  3. Divine wrote:
    >>There are obviously microcode differences.
    >>There is also support for proprietary instructions on eachÂ… (e.g.
    >>3dnow=AMD specific)

    > By "AMD specific" I presume you mean that Intel have decided not to
    > implement the full functionality of the AMD64 chip, and have instead
    > decided to "embrace and extend" a la Micro$oft.

    actually, wouldn't it be "embrace selectivly, and extend"?

    Intel couldn't add 3dnow... that would give it validation as a good
    idea, hell, they're already using AMD's 64bit extensions.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 8, 2004
  4. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Divine Guest

    On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 10:29:22 +1200, AD. wrote:

    > Software (ie
    > the compilers mostly) either ignores those features or checks for which
    > one it should use.

    Sounds like a source code vesion of the browser wars.

    Other than that, I think you're right - I agree with you.

    Divine

    Divine, Jun 8, 2004
  5. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Divine Guest

    On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 11:08:41 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >> By "AMD specific" I presume you mean that Intel have decided not to
    >> implement the full functionality of the AMD64 chip, and have instead
    >> decided to "embrace and extend" a la Micro$oft.

    > actually, wouldn't it be "embrace selectivly, and extend"?

    Yeah...

    > Intel couldn't add 3dnow... that would give it validation as a good
    > idea, hell, they're already using AMD's 64bit extensions.

    Indeed!

    Divine

    Divine, Jun 8, 2004