    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    http://www.dunedinwireless.co.nz
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 31, 2004

  2. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Dogg Guest

    On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 10:40:28 +1200, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    <dave@no_spam_here_please.dave.net.nz> wrote:

    >Can someone tell me where I could source one of these?
    >no-one seems to have them available yet...
    >
    >yes the Athlon 64 ones, yes I have more money than sense, yes I will be
    >running 32bit windows(dual booting with Gentoo).
    >
    >I've found the 32bit ones for ~$3700 but damn it, I want the 64 bit one :)
    >
    >preferrably in Dunedin, and preferrably with some different config
    >options, more ram, bigger hdd etc.

    Which one was in the PC World mag?
    Dogg, Jun 1, 2004

  3. Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 1, 2004
  4. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Dogg Guest

    On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 14:59:37 +1200, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    <dave@no_spam_here_please.dave.net.nz> wrote:

    >Dogg wrote:
    >>>yes the Athlon 64 ones, yes I have more money than sense, yes I will be
    >>>running 32bit windows(dual booting with Gentoo).

    >>>preferrably in Dunedin, and preferrably with some different config
    >>>options, more ram, bigger hdd etc.

    >> Which one was in the PC World mag?

    >no idea... the one I want is this one.
    >http://www.amdzone.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=462

    Okay. The one in PC World is an AMD 2500+ XP-M.
    Dogg, Jun 1, 2004
  5. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Divine Guest

    On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 10:40:28 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > yes the Athlon 64 ones, yes I have more money than sense, yes I will be
    > running 32bit windows(dual booting with Gentoo).

    Surely you'll want to be running a 64 but OS such as Mandrake 10.

    It's very nice indeed!

    Divine

    --
    The Queen's Mother: "Well I don't know what all you queens are doing,
    but this old Queen wants a drink."
    Divine, Jun 1, 2004
  6. Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 1, 2004
  7. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    AD. Guest

    On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 22:48:23 +1200, Divine wrote:

    > On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 10:40:28 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >
    >> yes the Athlon 64 ones, yes I have more money than sense, yes I will be
    >> running 32bit windows(dual booting with Gentoo).

    > Surely you'll want to be running a 64 but OS such as Mandrake 10.

    Ummm doesn't Gentoo compile everything for 64bits? For a machine like that
    Gentoo would be much cooler anyway. You wouldn't get yourself a super
    geeked out machine just to run Mandrake would you?

    He could upgrade the Windows to 64bit later on if desired - even though
    there probably wouldn't be much point.

    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Jun 1, 2004
  8. Divine wrote:
    >>yes the Athlon 64 ones, yes I have more money than sense, yes I will be
    >>running 32bit windows(dual booting with Gentoo).

    > Surely you'll want to be running a 64 but OS such as Mandrake 10.
    > It's very nice indeed!

    More than willing to be corrected here, but doesnt Gentoo compile for
    the hardware you're using during the install?

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 1, 2004
  9. AD. wrote:
    >>>yes the Athlon 64 ones, yes I have more money than sense, yes I will be
    >>>running 32bit windows(dual booting with Gentoo).

    >>Surely you'll want to be running a 64 but OS such as Mandrake 10.

    > Ummm doesn't Gentoo compile everything for 64bits?

    *snap* I win... I posted that too.

    > For a machine like that
    > Gentoo would be much cooler anyway. You wouldn't get yourself a super
    > geeked out machine just to run Mandrake would you?

    If I wanted a windows replacement I'd use it, but it is going to be
    there to compliment and compare the windows install.

    > He could upgrade the Windows to 64bit later on if desired - even though
    > there probably wouldn't be much point.

    Thats the plan.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 1, 2004
  10. In article <>,
    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <dave@no_spam_here_please.dave.net.nz> wrote:

    >Can someone tell me where I could source one of these?

    Has anybody considered what a dumb marketing idea it was trying to
    associate computers (even fast computers) with fast cars?

    Consider: a 10-year-old Ferrari is still a mighty machine. But a
    10-year-old Acer is going to look bloody pathetic, especially if it's
    painted red.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 2, 2004
  11. Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>Can someone tell me where I could source one of these?

    > Has anybody considered what a dumb marketing idea it was trying to
    > associate computers (even fast computers) with fast cars?
    > Consider: a 10-year-old Ferrari is still a mighty machine. But a
    > 10-year-old Acer is going to look bloody pathetic, especially if it's
    > painted red.

    AMD are sponsers of the Ferrari F1 team... Acer also sponser the Ferrari
    F1 team.
    Acer make the lappys for the Ferrari F1 team, so it makes sense to brand
    them as Ferrari Laptops.

    They come with some other Ferrari Gear, personally I don't care for it,
    but hey, it's all good as far as dumb arse extras with a lappy go.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 2, 2004
  12. Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >>> Can someone tell me where I could source one of these?

    $4800 and available in mid August for anyone interested... found out
    from a poster in here... will post the name once I have it.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 2, 2004
  13. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Divine Guest

    On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 08:50:05 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >> Surely you'll want to be running a 64 but OS such as Mandrake 10. It's
    >> very nice indeed!

    > More than willing to be corrected here, but doesnt Gentoo compile for the
    > hardware you're using during the install?

    Dunno.

    However, as you may have surmised, I was questioning the use of Micro$oft
    software.

    Divine

    Divine, Jun 2, 2004
  14. Divine wrote:
    >>>Surely you'll want to be running a 64 but OS such as Mandrake 10. It's
    >>>very nice indeed!

    >>More than willing to be corrected here, but doesnt Gentoo compile for the
    >>hardware you're using during the install?

    > However, as you may have surmised, I was questioning the use of Micro$oft
    > software.

    The windows install will be for the last few games that I play...
    nothing major, just no chance of getting them running with either Wine
    or Winex for quite a while.

    I'll probably flick to XP64 once it is released, I downloaded a free
    demo/beta*/whatever and played with it on a friends A64, and it flew
    along compared to XP32, and it's still beta*.

    *infact it might be alpha still, can't remember, dont care enough to
    look it up.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 2, 2004
  15. "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <dave@no_spam_here_please.dave.net.nz> wrote in message

    >>>More than willing to be corrected here, but doesnt Gentoo compile for the
    >>>hardware you're using during the install?

    >> However, as you may have surmised, I was questioning the use of Micro$oft
    >> software.

    > The windows install will be for the last few games that I play... nothing
    > major, just no chance of getting them running with either Wine or Winex
    > for quite a while.
    >
    > I'll probably flick to XP64 once it is released, I downloaded a free
    > demo/beta*/whatever and played with it on a friends A64, and it flew along
    > compared to XP32, and it's still beta*.

    We are seeing on average an 8% performance improvement for native 32bit
    software with AMD 64bit chips with Windows for 64-Bit Extended Systems
    Nathan Mercer, Jun 3, 2004
  16. Nathan Mercer wrote:
    >>I'll probably flick to XP64 once it is released, I downloaded a free
    >>demo/beta*/whatever and played with it on a friends A64, and it flew along
    >>compared to XP32, and it's still beta*.

    > We are seeing on average an 8% performance improvement for native 32bit
    > software with AMD 64bit chips with Windows for 64-Bit Extended Systems

    heh, 8% doesnt sound like much, but when you get it, it feels good.
    I assume that they'll be able to wring more out as they get through the
    alpha/beta/gamma?/delta? stages too, sounds good.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 3, 2004
  17. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Adam Warner Guest

    Hi Dave - Dave.net.nz,

    > Nathan Mercer wrote:
    >>>I'll probably flick to XP64 once it is released, I downloaded a free
    >>>demo/beta*/whatever and played with it on a friends A64, and it flew along
    >>>compared to XP32, and it's still beta*.

    >> We are seeing on average an 8% performance improvement for native 32bit
    >> software with AMD 64bit chips with Windows for 64-Bit Extended Systems

    > heh, 8% doesnt sound like much, but when you get it, it feels good.

    Some CPU prices:
    <http://www.oemcomputers.co.nz/oemCPU.htm>

    Compare the price of a 3.4GHz Intel Northwood to the 3.2GHz. That's a 6%
    clock difference which doesn't even translate into 6% better performance.
    And you're paying $275 for the difference.

    At top end CPU specifications there is a large price premium for 8%
    better performance.

    Regards,
    Adam
    Adam Warner, Jun 3, 2004
  18. "Adam Warner" <> wrote in message

    >>> We are seeing on average an 8% performance improvement for native 32bit
    >>> software with AMD 64bit chips with Windows for 64-Bit Extended Systems

    >> heh, 8% doesnt sound like much, but when you get it, it feels good.

    > Some CPU prices:
    > <http://www.oemcomputers.co.nz/oemCPU.htm>
    >
    > Compare the price of a 3.4GHz Intel Northwood to the 3.2GHz. That's a 6%
    > clock difference which doesn't even translate into 6% better performance.
    > And you're paying $275 for the difference.
    >
    > At top end CPU specifications there is a large price premium for 8%
    > better performance.

    The wave of 64-bit computing is coming like it or not

    I can't speak to the Intel CPUs as I haven't seen/used a x64 from them yet,
    I'm not even sure that Northwood is one. Hardware confuses me at the best
    of times

    By next year 100% of all PCs shipping with AMD processors and the majority
    of those with Intel procs will 64-bit capable.
    Success of 64-bit extended systems is already well documented and talked
    about in the press - 64 bit laptops and desktops around $2000 to high end
    workstations and servers costing not much more

    In a years time when x64 is mainstream, when there is little or no
    difference pricewise between a normal CPU and a x64 bit one, - that 8%
    performance is well worth it.
    Hardware is the same cost, you haven't had to reinvent the wheel with a new
    OS or applications. This is an average perf improvement, some apps will be
    way better.

    More importantly think of all the new scenarios that will be enabled -
    studio quality video editing on the desktop, realistic gaming, insanely fast
    data access

    And then the business scenarios - all high end scenarios that will now be
    cheap enough to be able to go mass market
    RDBMS, Scientific computing, Data modlling, Physical system simulation, CAD,
    Imaging, Data mining - or anything that needs to access an Address space
    that supports large data sets (hmmm 2^64 worth of RAM)

    More exciting again is in Server land
    HP are shipping 2 way Opteron boxes now, 4 way later this year.
    I've seen a 4 way AMD Opteron box hosting almost twice as many Windows
    Server 2003 Termianl Services users as compared to a similarly specced 4 way
    Intel box. Today.

    Cheers
    Nathan
    Nathan Mercer, Jun 3, 2004
  19. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    AD. Guest

    On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 12:33:19 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Nathan Mercer wrote:
    >> We are seeing on average an 8% performance improvement for native 32bit
    >> software with AMD 64bit chips with Windows for 64-Bit Extended Systems

    That was a mouthful, and it wasn't even a complete version name :)

    eg: Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition for 64-bit Extended
    Systems <phew!>

    Does MS have any internal nicknames that roll off the tongue easier?

    C'mon Nathan, you can tell us ;)

    > heh, 8% doesnt sound like much, but when you get it, it feels good. I
    > assume that they'll be able to wring more out as they get through the
    > alpha/beta/gamma?/delta? stages too, sounds good.

    8% is pretty damn good IMO. All else being equal a 64bit chip should be
    slower than 32bit one - unless of course you exceed the capabilities of
    the 32bit system.

    The extra registers AMD added to the 64bit mode wouldn't be used by 32bit
    apps (they'd help out the OS a bit though), so you're probably mostly
    seeing the benefit of higher memory bandwidth and lower latencies due to
    the hypertransport link(s).

    IMO AMDs 64bit stuff is easily the most interesting hardware development
    for PC geeks in the last decade or two.

    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Jun 3, 2004
  20. "AD." <> wrote in message
    >> Nathan Mercer wrote:
    >>> We are seeing on average an 8% performance improvement for native 32bit
    >>> software with AMD 64bit chips with Windows for 64-Bit Extended Systems

    > That was a mouthful, and it wasn't even a complete version name :)
    >
    > eg: Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition for 64-bit Extended
    > Systems <phew!>
    >
    > Does MS have any internal nicknames that roll off the tongue easier?
    >
    > C'mon Nathan, you can tell us ;)

    We just call them all Windows x64
    Nathan Mercer, Jun 3, 2004