ACDSee6 versus MS Digital Image Laboratory

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by John, Sep 8, 2004.

  1. John

    John Guest

    I bought ACDSee 6 PowerPack last September.

    It took them until March to produce an
    update that addressed my initial complaints.

    Since then, however, I've been quite pleased.

    Some features I now use regularly:

    - Adding captions and notes to the database, to produce contact sheets,
    album pages, and slide shows more quickly.

    - Assigning categories to images is a great help when putting together a
    show or creating a CD when the images are scattered among several different
    folders.

    - Creating a CD without having to use a separated CD burner package is very
    helpful.

    - Configuring the edit menu to readily link to any of several editors that I
    use and to easily choose my default editor.

    - Really fast access to stored images.

    I understand Microsoft Digital Image Library is getting good marks as an
    ACDSee competitor. Comments?

    John, Sep 8, 2004

  2. John wrote:
    > I bought ACDSee 6 PowerPack last September.
    >
    > It took them until March to produce an
    > update that addressed my initial complaints.
    >
    > Since then, however, I've been quite pleased.
    >
    > Some features I now use regularly:
    >
    > - Adding captions and notes to the database, to produce contact sheets,
    > album pages, and slide shows more quickly.
    >
    > - Assigning categories to images is a great help when putting together a
    > show or creating a CD when the images are scattered among several different
    > folders.
    >
    > - Creating a CD without having to use a separated CD burner package is very
    > helpful.
    >
    > - Configuring the edit menu to readily link to any of several editors that I
    > use and to easily choose my default editor.
    >
    > - Really fast access to stored images.
    >

    > I understand Microsoft Digital Image Library is getting good marks as an
    > ACDSee competitor. Comments?

    I guess I am not allowed to say anything here, since I'm an ACD Systems
    employee... :) The next version ACDSee (version 7.0) is looking nice -
    that's all I'll say, for now. Release == soon.

    --
    James Addison
    http://www.pjsoft.ca

    James Addison, Sep 9, 2004

  3. John

    Mark M Guest

    "James Addison" <> wrote in message
    > John wrote:

    > > I understand Microsoft Digital Image Library is getting good marks as an
    > > ACDSee competitor. Comments?

    > I guess I am not allowed to say anything here, since I'm an ACD Systems
    > employee... :) The next version ACDSee (version 7.0) is looking nice -
    > that's all I'll say, for now. Release == soon.

    Ah!
    Then will you tell your comrades at ACDSystems, for me--as a long-time user
    of ACDSee (as in...from the very first shareware version) to PLEASE
    PLEEEEEEEEESE...
    H-O-L-D
    O-F-F
    O-N
    Y-O-U-R
    R-E-L-E-A-S-E
    D-A-T-E
    U-N-T-I-L
    I-T
    I-S
    T-R-U-L-Y....................And I mean...........T---R---U---L---Y...
    R-E-A-D-Y !-!-!-!-!-!-!-!-!-!-!-!-!-!-!

    Please. -For ONCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    AAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thank you.

    Mark M, Sep 9, 2004
  4. John

    Mark M Guest

    Re: ACDSee 7 SUGGESTIONS

    "Mark M" <> wrote in message

    > "James Addison" <> wrote in message
    > > John wrote:

    > > > I understand Microsoft Digital Image Library is getting good marks as

    an
    > > > ACDSee competitor. Comments?

    > > I guess I am not allowed to say anything here, since I'm an ACD Systems
    > > employee... :) The next version ACDSee (version 7.0) is looking nice -
    > > that's all I'll say, for now. Release == soon.

    > Ah!
    > Then will you tell your comrades at ACDSystems, for me--as a long-time

    user
    > of ACDSee (as in...from the very first shareware version) to PLEASE
    > PLEEEEEEEEESE...
    > H-O-L-D
    > O-F-F
    > O-N
    > Y-O-U-R
    > R-E-L-E-A-S-E
    > D-A-T-E
    > U-N-T-I-L
    > I-T
    > I-S
    > T-R-U-L-Y....................And I mean...........T---R---U---L---Y...
    > R-E-A-D-Y !-!-!-!-!-!-!-!-!-!-!-!-!-!-!
    >
    > Please. -For ONCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    AAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    > !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    > Thank you.

    Ok.
    Tantrums aside... :)
    How about including the following few, easy changes:
    -Create a keyboard easy input for the photo rating system (1,2,3,4, 5) using
    simply the number pad.
    -Live refresh of file tree when changes are made to folders/sub-folders via
    other programs.
    -Stop wasting so much effort on the image editor which is little used, and
    focus on speed and filing.
    -Do away with FotoSlate's annoying requirement that you enter the custom
    template mode in order to re-size images on a layout page.
    -And... Allow real text editing on the page, rather than only through
    "properties" of a text box.
    -And... NUMBER ONE WISH>>>
    Build in a facility where screen display of images in ACDSee can be made to
    mimic Photoshop's presentation (as in a matching of the work-space
    rendition). As it stands now, Photoshop and ACDSee's displays of images
    on-screen NEVER match. This is a REAL problem when it comes to selecting
    which images need correction while browsing in ACDSee.

    Mark M, Sep 9, 2004
  5. Re: ACDSee 7 SUGGESTIONS

    Mark M wrote:

    >>Ah!
    >>Then will you tell your comrades at ACDSystems, for me--as a long-time

    > user
    >
    >>of ACDSee (as in...from the very first shareware version) to PLEASE
    >>PLEEEEEEEEESE...
    >>H-O-L-D
    >>O-F-F
    >>O-N
    >>Y-O-U-R
    >>R-E-L-E-A-S-E
    >>D-A-T-E
    >>U-N-T-I-L
    >>I-T
    >>I-S
    >>T-R-U-L-Y....................And I mean...........T---R---U---L---Y...
    >>R-E-A-D-Y !-!-!-!-!-!-!-!-!-!-!-!-!-!-!
    >>
    >>Please. -For ONCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    >>

    > AAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    >
    >>!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    >>Thank you.

    Mark,

    Oh my. :) Yes, I can say that 7.0 is looking faster and more stable
    than many previous versions. Given that it's coded by humans, bugs will
    always exist. That said, we are quite comfortable with the release this
    time around. Enough said on that.

    > Ok.
    > Tantrums aside... :)
    > How about including the following few, easy changes:
    > -Create a keyboard easy input for the photo rating system (1,2,3,4, 5) using
    > simply the number pad.
    > -Live refresh of file tree when changes are made to folders/sub-folders via
    > other programs.
    > -Stop wasting so much effort on the image editor which is little used, and
    > focus on speed and filing.
    > -Do away with FotoSlate's annoying requirement that you enter the custom
    > template mode in order to re-size images on a layout page.
    > -And... Allow real text editing on the page, rather than only through
    > "properties" of a text box.
    > -And... NUMBER ONE WISH>>>
    > Build in a facility where screen display of images in ACDSee can be made to
    > mimic Photoshop's presentation (as in a matching of the work-space
    > rendition). As it stands now, Photoshop and ACDSee's displays of images
    > on-screen NEVER match. This is a REAL problem when it comes to selecting
    > which images need correction while browsing in ACDSee.

    You raise some very interesting points here, some of which have been
    addressed. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with ACDSee 7, to be
    honest. I am uncertain as to whether FotoSlate has had many updates as
    I was on the ACDSee 7 task force.

    I would invite you to participate in the ACD forums located at
    http://forums.acdsystems.com/ to express your concerns. If you have
    ideas for our products, you can always email with
    your thoughts.

    Thanks,

    --
    James Addison
    http://www.pjsoft.ca

    James Addison, Sep 10, 2004
  6. John

    Mark M Guest

    Re: ACDSee 7 SUGGESTIONS

    > Mark M wrote:
    >
    > >>Ah!
    > >>Then will you tell your comrades at ACDSystems, for me--as a long-time

    > > user
    > >
    > >>of ACDSee (as in...from the very first shareware version) to PLEASE
    > >>PLEEEEEEEEESE...
    > >>H-O-L-D
    > >>O-F-F
    > >>O-N
    > >>Y-O-U-R
    > >>R-E-L-E-A-S-E
    > >>D-A-T-E
    > >>U-N-T-I-L
    > >>I-T
    > >>I-S
    > >>T-R-U-L-Y....................And I mean...........T---R---U---L---Y...
    > >>R-E-A-D-Y !-!-!-!-!-!-!-!-!-!-!-!-!-!-!
    > >>
    > >>Please. -For ONCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    AAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    > >>!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    > >>Thank you.

    > Mark,
    >
    > Oh my. :) Yes, I can say that 7.0 is looking faster and more stable
    > than many previous versions. Given that it's coded by humans, bugs will
    > always exist. That said, we are quite comfortable with the release this
    > time around. Enough said on that.
    >

    > > Ok.
    > > Tantrums aside... :)
    > > How about including the following few, easy changes:
    > > -Create a keyboard easy input for the photo rating system (1,2,3,4, 5)

    using
    > > simply the number pad.
    > > -Live refresh of file tree when changes are made to folders/sub-folders

    via
    > > other programs.
    > > -Stop wasting so much effort on the image editor which is little used,

    and
    > > focus on speed and filing.
    > > -Do away with FotoSlate's annoying requirement that you enter the custom
    > > template mode in order to re-size images on a layout page.
    > > -And... Allow real text editing on the page, rather than only through
    > > "properties" of a text box.
    > > -And... NUMBER ONE WISH>>>
    > > Build in a facility where screen display of images in ACDSee can be made

    > > mimic Photoshop's presentation (as in a matching of the work-space
    > > rendition). As it stands now, Photoshop and ACDSee's displays of images
    > > on-screen NEVER match. This is a REAL problem when it comes to

    selecting
    > > which images need correction while browsing in ACDSee.
    > >

    > You raise some very interesting points here, some of which have been
    > addressed. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with ACDSee 7, to be
    > honest. I am uncertain as to whether FotoSlate has had many updates as
    > I was on the ACDSee 7 task force.
    >
    > I would invite you to participate in the ACD forums located at
    > http://forums.acdsystems.com/ to express your concerns. If you have
    > ideas for our products, you can always email with
    > your thoughts.
    >

    > Thanks,
    >
    > --
    > James Addison
    > http://www.pjsoft.ca

    OK... You get brownie points for putting up with my tantrum...
    :)
    I really think it would be worth the effort for ACD to look into the
    work-space matching control idea I brought up above. This is the sort of
    feature that could really attract people from professional circles to
    ACDSee, since they are keenly aware of...and dependant upon carefully
    calibrated color-matching and image rendition for critical work. Even
    serious amatuers want what they print to look like what they see, and when
    the browser is seriously out of whack (visually) with the number one photo
    editor in the world (Photoshop), you've got a problem that is worth serious
    consideration as you try to expand your appeal. I'm not talking about
    color-matching for printing...rather color-matching specifically with
    Photoshop. This would involve the ability of ACDSee to shift its screen
    rendition to a number of profiles--just as the workspace in PS has.

    -Mark

    Mark M, Sep 10, 2004
  7. Re: ACDSee 7 SUGGESTIONS

    Mark M wrote:

    > OK... You get brownie points for putting up with my tantrum...
    > :)
    > I really think it would be worth the effort for ACD to look into the
    > work-space matching control idea I brought up above. This is the sort of
    > feature that could really attract people from professional circles to
    > ACDSee, since they are keenly aware of...and dependant upon carefully
    > calibrated color-matching and image rendition for critical work. Even
    > serious amatuers want what they print to look like what they see, and when
    > the browser is seriously out of whack (visually) with the number one photo
    > editor in the world (Photoshop), you've got a problem that is worth serious
    > consideration as you try to expand your appeal. I'm not talking about
    > color-matching for printing...rather color-matching specifically with
    > Photoshop. This would involve the ability of ACDSee to shift its screen
    > rendition to a number of profiles--just as the workspace in PS has.
    >
    > -Mark

    Mark,

    I'm not supposed to say anything on this, but again, I think you'll be
    pleasantly surprised with ACDSee 7. No promises, as that might be
    'leaking' information, and who knows what might change before release.
    You can find out for yourself in a few short weeks. Release == Soon.

    --
    James Addison
    http://www.pjsoft.ca

    James Addison, Sep 10, 2004
  8. John

    J. Cod Guest

    James Addison wrote: "The next version ACDSee (version 7.0)
    is looking nice - that's all I'll say, for now. Release ==
    soon."

    A friend of mine has a love/hate relationship with ACDSee :
    he comments :

    "If you fix the bug where the sort order of thumbnail
    display is changed from what you set it to to "custom," and
    stabilize the display of folders from its current unreliable
    state in ACDSee 6.03 ... and if you DO NOT introduce a raft
    of new bugs and performance hits as happened in the first
    release of ACDSee 6 .... blah ... blah ... blah."

    If you meet my friend's approval, I will definitely buy
    ACDSee 7, if only to get him to stop proselytizing me for
    it.

    J. Cod

    J. Cod, Sep 12, 2004
  9. John

    Mark M Guest

    "J. Cod" <> wrote in message
    > James Addison wrote: "The next version ACDSee (version 7.0)
    > is looking nice - that's all I'll say, for now. Release ==
    > soon."
    >
    > A friend of mine has a love/hate relationship with ACDSee :
    > he comments :
    >
    > "If you fix the bug where the sort order of thumbnail
    > display is changed from what you set it to to "custom," and
    > stabilize the display of folders from its current unreliable
    > state in ACDSee 6.03 ... and if you DO NOT introduce a raft
    > of new bugs and performance hits as happened in the first
    > release of ACDSee 6 .... blah ... blah ... blah."
    >
    > If you meet my friend's approval, I will definitely buy
    > ACDSee 7, if only to get him to stop proselytizing me for
    > it.

    Hey!

    Are you sure your friend isn't ME??
    :)
    I'm an ACDSee fan, but they've regularly ticked me off in similar ways.
    -Yet once they catch up, it's head and shoulders above the rest...
    ....eventually...(sigh)

    Mark M, Sep 12, 2004
  10. J. Cod wrote:

    > A friend of mine has a love/hate relationship with ACDSee :
    > he comments :
    >
    > "If you fix the bug where the sort order of thumbnail
    > display is changed from what you set it to to "custom," and
    > stabilize the display of folders from its current unreliable
    > state in ACDSee 6.03 ... and if you DO NOT introduce a raft
    > of new bugs and performance hits as happened in the first
    > release of ACDSee 6 .... blah ... blah ... blah."
    >
    > If you meet my friend's approval, I will definitely buy
    > ACDSee 7, if only to get him to stop proselytizing me for
    > it.
    >
    > J. Cod

    J. Cod,

    I really hope your friend submitted these issues in some fashion
    (perhaps via our forums - http://forums.acdsystems.com) to ACD Systems.
    That's the sure way to get issues fixed. As for those particular
    issues, I guess you'll see if they're fixed when ACDSee 7 is released.

    If you have ideas for future features, send them over to
    as well.

    --
    James Addison
    http://www.pjsoft.ca

    James Addison, Sep 12, 2004
  11. John

    John Doe Guest

    If ACD Systems was smart they would do a public beta and get loyal user's
    feedback and real world testing!

    John

    John Doe, Sep 12, 2004
  12. John Doe wrote:
    > If ACD Systems was smart they would do a public beta and get loyal user's
    > feedback and real world testing!
    >
    > John

    "John",

    Although it's not public, we do have an extensive beta program that
    people must sign up for. There are corporate reasons as to why we do
    not have public betas, and I won't go into detail on those in this
    forum. Suffice it to say, people can apply to get into our beta - in
    fact, one of the best ways to attempt to get in is to supply valid and
    valuable feedback in our forums at http://forums.acdsystems.com. There
    is limited seating, I should think, but as I've always said, customer
    feedback *is* appreciated!

    I hope that you and other customers consider this course of action.
    Thanks for your comments!

    --
    James Addison
    http://www.pjsoft.ca

    James Addison, Sep 12, 2004
  13. James Addison wrote:
    >Although it's not public, we do have an extensive beta program that
    >people must sign up for. There are corporate reasons as to why we do
    >not have public betas, and I won't go into detail on those in this
    >forum. Suffice it to say, people can apply to get into our beta - in
    >fact, one of the best ways to attempt to get in is to supply valid and
    >valuable feedback in our forums at http://forums.acdsystems.com. There
    >is limited seating, I should think, but as I've always said, customer
    >feedback *is* appreciated!

    I hope that you are skimming these comments and sending them over to your site
    for us. most of us just do not have the time to go join forums and that is why
    I and others are dumping complaints and suggestions in this venue.

    I agree with several people here. Forte's Agent USegroup and email client was
    in public beta for about 10 yrs before they finally sold 1.0 for $29 which is
    still the price. they have gone thru several updates and the most stable is
    1.93 which I am using. they have brought out 2.0 which they sell for $10 but
    which is a POC with its own problems. as a result, we all view it as a dollar
    promotion effort.

    Agent is far and away the best mail and group client out there. just as Firefox
    is the best Net browser. if they ever port Agent to Linux, I will get rid of
    Gates immediately. I hope you all are not married to Gates crap and will try to
    compete with Gimp, etc.

    fwiw
    chas
    --
    chas
    The new Canon DSLR elist. no trolls, etc

    schuetzen - RKBA!, Sep 12, 2004