    for ACDSee?

    Running on PC with Windows XP and enough memory for programs like PS7
    to run without a problem.
    Tony Cooper, Feb 5, 2005

  2. Tony Cooper

    Markeau Guest

    No probs here running ACDSee 7, PS CS and usually 5 or more other apps
    at the same time - in fact ACDSee is real snappy, I use it as a
    front-end to PS CS... ACDSee did find a new auto-update today ...
    [config: XPpro, 2.8GHz, 1GB RDRAM, 7200rpm drives ...]

    Markeau, Feb 6, 2005

  3. "Tony Cooper" <> wrote in message
    >I downloaded the trial version of ACDSee. Nice enough, but s-l-o-w.
    > Deleting an image seems to take forever. It slows down other programs
    > that are running at the same time even if I keep only one or two other
    > programs running.
    >
    > I haven't had problems with other programs like Adobe Photoshop7 or
    > anything else running slowly. Something going on, or is the "normal"
    > for ACDSee?
    >
    > Running on PC with Windows XP and enough memory for programs like PS7
    > to run without a problem.

    I tried the download the other day, too. It is a little bloated. It took
    over all my associations and XP autoruns/wizards.... and when I changed the
    associations back, it changed them back every time I launched the program!
    ANNOYING!

    I did use it to sort some photos by specific EXIF info and it worked well
    for this. When I was done I was pleasantly surprised at how well it
    uninstalled and all of XP defaults (in fact it you lose some defaults due to
    anything else, try installing and uninstalling this product!).
    Dave R knows who, Feb 6, 2005
  4. Tony Cooper

    Markeau Guest

    "Dave R knows who" <> wrote in message
    > I tried the download the other day, too. It is a little bloated. It
    > took over all my associations and XP autoruns/wizards.... and when I
    > changed the associations back, it changed them back every time I
    > launched the program! ANNOYING!

    Did you have the "Verify these file associations when starting ACDSee
    7.0" checked?
    Markeau, Feb 6, 2005
  5. Tony Cooper

    Mark² Guest

    >I downloaded the trial version of ACDSee. Nice enough, but s-l-o-w.
    > Deleting an image seems to take forever. It slows down other programs
    > that are running at the same time even if I keep only one or two other
    > programs running.
    >
    > I haven't had problems with other programs like Adobe Photoshop7 or
    > anything else running slowly. Something going on, or is the "normal"
    > for ACDSee?
    >
    > Running on PC with Windows XP and enough memory for programs like PS7
    > to run without a problem.

    Something is definitely wrong.
    ACDSee is nearly instantaneous in general on my machine, and delete IS instantaneous.
    Mark², Feb 6, 2005
  6. Tony Cooper

    Mark² Guest

    > "Tony Cooper" <> wrote in message
    >>I downloaded the trial version of ACDSee. Nice enough, but s-l-o-w.
    >> Deleting an image seems to take forever. It slows down other programs
    >> that are running at the same time even if I keep only one or two other
    >> programs running.
    >>
    >> I haven't had problems with other programs like Adobe Photoshop7 or
    >> anything else running slowly. Something going on, or is the "normal"
    >> for ACDSee?
    >>
    >> Running on PC with Windows XP and enough memory for programs like PS7
    >> to run without a problem.
    >>

    > I tried the download the other day, too. It is a little bloated. It took over all my
    > associations and XP autoruns/wizards.... and when I changed the associations back, it
    > changed them back every time I launched the program! ANNOYING!

    It offered you the option of choosing which file types to associate during installation.
    You just didn't take the option.
    You can easily change associations for ACDSee, so check that.
    Also...if you close the media detection icon next to your clock, it will not run again
    unless you tell it to.
    Mark², Feb 6, 2005
  7. In article <>, tony_cooper213
    @earthlink.net says...
    > I downloaded the trial version of ACDSee. Nice enough, but s-l-o-w.

    The newer it is, more bloated and slower it is.
    Find "ACDSee classic", one of the 2.xx versions.

    That's what it was all about.
    I've been using it for years.
    Very fast.

    --
    Feel the Sound - www.audiofil.net
    d.B.
    Dalibor Bauernfrajnd, Feb 6, 2005
  8. Tony Cooper

    KenJr Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > In article <>, tony_cooper213
    > @earthlink.net says...
    > > I downloaded the trial version of ACDSee. Nice enough, but s-l-o-w.

    > The newer it is, more bloated and slower it is.
    > Find "ACDSee classic", one of the 2.xx versions.
    >
    > That's what it was all about.
    > I've been using it for years.
    > Very fast.

    While they may be true for versions 4 through 6 (as well as crash
    prone), I've had no problems with version 7. It is fast and offers many
    sorting and search options. The Power pack version comes with a half
    decent photo editor.

    KenJr, Feb 6, 2005
  9. On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 12:13:12 +0100, Dalibor Bauernfrajnd
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>, tony_cooper213
    >@earthlink.net says...
    >> I downloaded the trial version of ACDSee. Nice enough, but s-l-o-w.

    >The newer it is, more bloated and slower it is.
    >Find "ACDSee classic", one of the 2.xx versions.
    >
    >That's what it was all about.
    >I've been using it for years.
    >Very fast.

    OldVersion.com becausenewerisnotalwaysbetter
    http://www.oldversion.com/

    Serial numbers required.

    ACDSee Classic is version 2.43

    Version 3.10 is also fast and has a simple image editor [autolevels,
    brightness, rotate, etc.].

    The buggy ACDSee 6 was so painfully slow reading CDs I was given a
    full refund even though I was past the 30-day limit.

    I use the blazingly fast ACDSee 2.43 in conjunction with ACDSee 7.0.62
    to catalogue/thumbnail my CDs.

    Hap
    Hap Shaughnessy, Feb 6, 2005
  10. Tony Cooper

    paul Guest

    Tony Cooper wrote:
    > I downloaded the trial version of ACDSee. Nice enough, but s-l-o-w.
    > Deleting an image seems to take forever. It slows down other programs
    > that are running at the same time even if I keep only one or two other
    > programs running.
    >
    > I haven't had problems with other programs like Adobe Photoshop7 or
    > anything else running slowly. Something going on, or is the "normal"
    > for ACDSee?
    >
    > Running on PC with Windows XP and enough memory for programs like PS7
    > to run without a problem.

    I maintain version 4 (old) & find it very fast except with deleting and
    moving files for some odd reason. The key thing I like is drag & drop
    re-sorting and righ-click batch rename to lock that sort order in with
    numbers. It is also an excellent fast thumbnail browser even set to make
    big thumbs.
    paul, Feb 7, 2005
  11. Tony Cooper

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 21:34:42 -0800, paul <> wrote:

    >Tony Cooper wrote:
    >> I downloaded the trial version of ACDSee. Nice enough, but s-l-o-w.
    >> Deleting an image seems to take forever. It slows down other programs
    >> that are running at the same time even if I keep only one or two other
    >> programs running.
    >>
    >> I haven't had problems with other programs like Adobe Photoshop7 or
    >> anything else running slowly. Something going on, or is the "normal"
    >> for ACDSee?
    >>
    >> Running on PC with Windows XP and enough memory for programs like PS7
    >> to run without a problem.

    >I maintain version 4 (old) & find it very fast except with deleting and
    >moving files for some odd reason. The key thing I like is drag & drop
    >re-sorting and righ-click batch rename to lock that sort order in with
    >numbers. It is also an excellent fast thumbnail browser even set to make
    >big thumbs.

    I've continued to use it, and have adjusted to the comparative
    slowness of it. I use several image viewers including Irfanview and
    U-Lead Photo Explorer 7.0.

    Irfanview is quick and easy and can be set to automatically fit the
    image to the screen. It has the best sharpening tool I've found. Far
    better and easier than sharpening with Photoshop 7. The disadvantage
    of Irfanview is that you must go through the "save" steps when
    rotating pictures.

    U-Lead 7.0 (which was a free download when I picked it up) rotates and
    automatically saves. If I have a large group of pictures I'll run
    U-Lead and rotate the ones that need it and be done with it in
    minutes. You can drag-and-drop, but it's cumbersome and automatically
    re-names.

    ACDSee is the only program I've found with easy drag-and-drop for
    re-sorting. I'll often combine images from my camera, my son's
    camera, and my daughter's camera into one file and then sort them to
    like shots. Then, I'll batch re-name and set up a permanent sequence.

    I do all adjustments in Photoshop 7. I know the other programs crop
    and re-size, but I don't even do that with them. I'm not a
    particularly good photographer, but PS7 allows me to come out with
    some very good results. The unnoticed object in the frame that
    distracts from the picture can be removed.

    I had one family group shot that was perfect. Everyone had their eyes
    open, good expressions, etc. On the wall behind the couch, though, a
    picture had been knocked askew. All I could see when I looked at the
    image was that damned crooked picture. PS7, though, allowed me to
    straighten the picture. I didn't do it in this case, but I'll
    sometimes isolate the foreground and put a guassian blur on the
    background to minimize distractions.

    I have other viewers that came bundled with cameras or other products,
    but never use them. I keep meaning to delete the programs but never
    get around to it.

    The "best" image viewer is the one that does the particular task you
    want to do, and that means - for me - having several choices.
    Tony Cooper, Feb 9, 2005