    Any suggestion apart from using another program?

    Thanks

    ppp

    ppp, Dec 11, 2006

  2. ppp

    Arthur Small Guest

    Arthur Small, Dec 11, 2006

  3. It does take it a bit of time to generate the thumbnails for the RAW files.
    Especially if you have hundreds or thousands of them. Opening to edit should
    be much faster, but thumbnail generation is a lot slower.

    ljc

    Little Juice Coupe, Dec 11, 2006
  4. ppp

    Mark² Guest

    ppp wrote:
    > I have installed ACDSee Pro but the program takes quite a long time
    > to open up and also a long time to show pics? I have lots of raw
    > files.
    > Is this normal? With the prevoius version (5) ilt was very quick!
    >
    > Any suggestion apart from using another program?
    >
    > Thanks

    When you first install ACDSee, it is spending a great deal of processor
    power creating a cache of thumbnails for the thumbnail database it creates.
    It only does this once for each photo, but RAW files take considerably more
    processing to build thumbs from. So...it is likely simultaneously
    processing the thumb creation WHILE also opening the RAW file (which
    requires a degree of either conversion or extraction), which can lead to
    initial slowness.

    To test this, return to a folder of RAW files AFTER it has created all
    thumbnail images for each photo in that folder. You should see significant
    improvement.

    www.pbase.com/markuson

    Mark², Dec 12, 2006
  5. ppp

    Mark² Guest

    Mark² wrote:
    > ppp wrote:
    >> I have installed ACDSee Pro but the program takes quite a long time
    >> to open up and also a long time to show pics? I have lots of raw
    >> files.
    >> Is this normal? With the prevoius version (5) ilt was very quick!
    >>
    >> Any suggestion apart from using another program?
    >>
    >> Thanks

    > When you first install ACDSee, it is spending a great deal of
    > processor power creating a cache of thumbnails for the thumbnail
    > database it creates. It only does this once for each photo, but RAW
    > files take considerably more processing to build thumbs from. So...it is
    > likely simultaneously processing the thumb creation WHILE
    > also opening the RAW file (which requires a degree of either
    > conversion or extraction), which can lead to initial slowness.
    >
    > To test this, return to a folder of RAW files AFTER it has created all
    > thumbnail images for each photo in that folder. You should see
    > significant improvement.

    One more thought:

    Keep in mind that even Canon's own RAW conversion takes longer than that to
    convert a single image.
    ACDSee has to essentially convert the file in order for you to view it.

    www.pbase.com/markuson

    Mark², Dec 12, 2006
  6. ppp

    ppp Guest

    ">>
    >> When you first install ACDSee, it is spending a great deal of
    >> processor power creating a cache of thumbnails for the thumbnail
    >> database it creates. It only does this once for each photo, but RAW
    >> files take considerably more processing to build thumbs from. So...it is
    >> likely simultaneously processing the thumb creation WHILE
    >> also opening the RAW file (which requires a degree of either
    >> conversion or extraction), which can lead to initial slowness.
    >>
    >> To test this, return to a folder of RAW files AFTER it has created all
    >> thumbnail images for each photo in that folder. You should see
    >> significant improvement.

    > One more thought:
    >
    > Keep in mind that even Canon's own RAW conversion takes longer than that
    > to convert a single image.
    > ACDSee has to essentially convert the file in order for you to view it.
    >
    > --
    > Images (Plus Snaps & Grabs) by Mark² at:
    > www.pbase.com/markuson

    thanks

    ppp, Dec 12, 2006