ACDSee 7--first impressions...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mark M, Sep 24, 2004.

  1. Mark M

    Mark M Guest

    OK.
    This is coming from a LONG time user of ACDSee who has LOUDLY voiced
    irritation with them for releasing new version that are extremely buggy.

    I installed it last night (keeping version 6 on my system in case they
    screwed up).

    It is ROCK SOLID this time.

    Major improvements.

    Perhaps best:
    Images look as close to identical in ACDSee as they do in Photoshop.
    -A real bummer in the past, because you couldn't use ACDSee to judge how
    prints would look from PS.

    Faster thumbnail display, as well as FAR more control over size and quality
    of thumbnails.

    MUCH cleaner interface.

    More logical and useful "image basket..."
    -Might actually use it now.

    Far more complete EXIF and file info handling.

    Keyboard short-cuts are more complete.

    VERY fast RAW viewing (though FULL res RAW viewing isn't super fast, it's
    very decent). You can now quickly browse RAW files without needing to to
    quick jpeg conversions for browsing/selection.
    ***This means I will stop setting my camera to RAW+JPEG...which means I'll
    get more RAW shots per card (I've been shooting RAW with jpeg so that I can
    quickly view files and select which RAWs to tinker with fully).

    Nice back-up options which make synchronizing lots of gigs of files much
    more simple.

    Everything is faster.

    Automatic flash and .pdf slide-show creation with transitions.

    GLARING OMMISSION:
    Where the **HECK** is the real HELP file??
    -All that is available from the help menu is a download of a pdf manual!!
    What the heck?????

    Anyway...
    It looks great from this VERY picky user's view.
    But Let's get that useable help file, for crying out loud.
    :)
    -Mark

    Mark M, Sep 24, 2004

  2. Mark M

    PeteZ Guest

    Mark

    thanks for that . . . . I'm a long time user of the product as well BUT ...

    I brought into Ver 4 or so and actually down-graded to an earlier version as
    it was these earlier versions that had the features and UI that I liked
    most.

    The version looks very promising.

    cheers,

    - peteZ

    PeteZ, Sep 24, 2004

  3. Mark M

    Harry Krause Guest

    Mark M wrote:
    > OK.
    > This is coming from a LONG time user of ACDSee who has LOUDLY voiced
    > irritation with them for releasing new version that are extremely buggy.
    >
    > I installed it last night (keeping version 6 on my system in case they
    > screwed up).
    >
    > It is ROCK SOLID this time.

    Does it handle Nikon "NEF" format directly?

    Do you have a URL to the vendor's site that presents info on the new
    version? I just looked at the site and did not find it.

    Thanks!

    Harry Krause, Sep 24, 2004
  4. Mark M

    Mark M Guest

    "Harry Krause" <> wrote in message
    > Mark M wrote:
    > > OK.
    > > This is coming from a LONG time user of ACDSee who has LOUDLY voiced
    > > irritation with them for releasing new version that are extremely buggy.
    > >
    > > I installed it last night (keeping version 6 on my system in case they
    > > screwed up).
    > >
    > > It is ROCK SOLID this time.

    > Does it handle Nikon "NEF" format directly?
    >
    > Do you have a URL to the vendor's site that presents info on the new
    > version? I just looked at the site and did not find it.
    >
    > Thanks!

    It handles Nikon's files.
    The new version isn't available to everyone yet.

    Mark M, Sep 24, 2004
  5. Mark M

    Harry Krause Guest

    Mark M wrote:
    > "Harry Krause" <> wrote in message
    >> Mark M wrote:
    >> > OK.
    >> > This is coming from a LONG time user of ACDSee who has LOUDLY voiced
    >> > irritation with them for releasing new version that are extremely buggy.
    >> >
    >> > I installed it last night (keeping version 6 on my system in case they
    >> > screwed up).
    >> >
    >> > It is ROCK SOLID this time.

    >> Does it handle Nikon "NEF" format directly?
    >>
    >> Do you have a URL to the vendor's site that presents info on the new
    >> version? I just looked at the site and did not find it.
    >>
    >> Thanks!

    > It handles Nikon's files.
    > The new version isn't available to everyone yet.

    Thanks. Only last week I begged ACDcee to let me know whether the new
    version would support NEF. I have been a paying user of the software for
    years. I was told that such info was TOP SECRET and I couldn't even get
    a hint.

    So...

    I bought Photoshop CS...and wouldn't now use ACDcee on a bet.

    --
    We today have a president of the United States who looks like he is the
    son of Howdy Doody or Alfred E. Newman, who isn't smarter than either of

    What, me worry?

    Harry Krause, Sep 24, 2004
  6. Does it manage IPTC fields ?
    --
    Patrick Peccatte
    www.kalimages.com

    Patrick Peccatte, Sep 24, 2004
  7. Mark M

    DonB Guest

    On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 20:34:25 -0700, "Mark M"
    <> wrote:

    >OK.
    >This is coming from a LONG time user of ACDSee who has LOUDLY voiced
    >irritation with them for releasing new version that are extremely buggy.

    How much did they charge you to upgrade from version6?
    DonB

    DonB, Sep 24, 2004
  8. On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 19:18:46 GMT, (DonB) wrote:

    >On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 20:34:25 -0700, "Mark M"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>OK.
    >>This is coming from a LONG time user of ACDSee who has LOUDLY voiced
    >>irritation with them for releasing new version that are extremely buggy.

    >How much did they charge you to upgrade from version6?
    >DonB

    It will be the same price for an upgrade from all previous versions.
    No software vendor gives bigger discounts if you have the last
    version.

    Anyhow, I'll not be paying for any upgrade. 12 days with no reply. Not
    impressed. Hope they do the right thing and give me a refund or
    upgrade me for free.

    ---clip---

    Subject: ACDSee 6 online support submission

    http://www.acdsystems.com/English/Support/

    Submitted Sept 13/04 02:57 AM

    ---

    I bought an ACDSee upgrade July 10/04 to use with my first digital
    camera that wasn't purchased until Aug 12/04. I had no idea of any
    problems until I archived my photos to CD-R a few days ago.

    That CD contains 367 photos, 648.2Mbs, on the root directory - no
    folders. It takes 2 minutes 20 seconds to build a database before
    being able to view any photos and then it is so painfully slow to
    search the collection that ACDSee 6.03 is useless for me.

    It also takes 1 minute 30 seconds before a slide show begins.

    Whereas, ACDSee 3.11 CD access to view archived photos and to run a
    Slide Show has no wait times.

    I no longer use ACDSee 6.03 and had to re-install 3.11 as my working
    copy.

    I have read that there will be no updates or fixes for ACDSee 6x.

    I'm very disapppointed that ACDSee 6 did not meet my expectations and
    that I have passed the 30 day full refund time limit through no fault
    of my own.

    What do you suggest?

    TIA,

    x my name here x

    PS: The following quotes confirm that ACDSee 6x will never work
    properly for me.

    ::

    Question: ACDSee 6.0 seems to be slow. Is there anything I can do to
    improve performance?

    Answer: Performance is a known issue that should be addressed in the
    next product service release.

    ::

    http://forums.acdsystems.com/

    6.0.3 Database NOT Ready for Prime Time!

    ACD Systems closed this highly popular forum message thread on July
    21, 2004 after it had been read over 4000 times. If you are interested
    in using the database functions in ACDSEE vs. 6.0.3 this is a must
    read message thread!

    ACD Systems says they are taking these comments seriously as they work
    on version 7. Until then, however, beware of problems in the current
    product. There are apparently no plans to fix these problems in
    version 6. You will have to purchase the upgrade to version 7 to
    "hopefully" fix these significant issues.

    Here is a link to the message thread.

    http://forums.acdsystems.com/YaBB.cgi?board=ACDSee_6;action=display;num=1081702895;start=0

    djmoll

    ::

    Mark Cosgrove
    Administrator

    Hello:

    The ACDSee Database issue identified by djmoll will be addressed in
    ACDSee 7.0.

    I'm sorry to say, but at this time we do not have a workaround or
    plans to release another update to address this issue.

    We will fix this in ACDSee 7.0.

    Hap Shaughnessy, Sep 25, 2004
  9. Mark M

    Mark M Guest

    "Patrick Peccatte" <> wrote in message
    > Does it manage IPTC fields ?

    I can't answer that because I don't even know what that is.
    :)
    -Unless it stands for something that just isn't coming to mind...
    Educate me, and I'll try to answer.

    Mark M, Sep 25, 2004
  10. In Message-ID:<Sh45d.334873$Oi.113185@fed1read04> posted on Fri, 24 Sep
    2004 18:59:14 -0700, Mark M wrote:

    > Does it manage IPTC fields ?
    >
    >I can't answer that because I don't even know what that is.
    >:)
    >-Unless it stands for something that just isn't coming to mind...
    >Educate me, and I'll try to answer.

    IPTC????
    http://www.justfuckinggoogleit.com/

    ....or http://1096080640.v3.net

    Justín Käse, Sep 25, 2004
  11. Mark M

    Mark M Guest

    "Justín Käse" <> wrote in message
    > In Message-ID:<Sh45d.334873$Oi.113185@fed1read04> posted on Fri, 24 Sep
    > 2004 18:59:14 -0700, Mark M wrote:
    >
    > > Does it manage IPTC fields ?
    > >
    > >I can't answer that because I don't even know what that is.
    > >:)
    > >-Unless it stands for something that just isn't coming to mind...
    > >Educate me, and I'll try to answer.

    > IPTC????
    > http://www.justfuckinggoogleit.com/

    He asked for information I wasn't familiar with.
    I offered to help, but asked for clarification.

    Jerk.

    Mark M, Sep 25, 2004
  12. On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 20:34:25 -0700, Mark M wrote:

    > OK.
    > This is coming from a LONG time user of ACDSee who has LOUDLY voiced
    > irritation with them for releasing new version that are extremely buggy.

    I upgrade too, seems solid so far. But what´s with the PhotoPro that was
    bundled. I dont see any PhotoPro but myACD tells me that it is properly
    installed!?

    Kjell Harnesk, Sep 25, 2004
  13. Mark M

    Mark M Guest

    "Kjell Harnesk" <2g.nu> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 20:34:25 -0700, Mark M wrote:
    >
    > > OK.
    > > This is coming from a LONG time user of ACDSee who has LOUDLY voiced
    > > irritation with them for releasing new version that are extremely buggy.

    > I upgrade too, seems solid so far. But what´s with the PhotoPro that was
    > bundled. I dont see any PhotoPro but myACD tells me that it is properly
    > installed!?

    There was a text file incuded that says the following:
    ------------------------
    Thank you for purchasing ACDSee photoPro.

    ACDSee photoPro must be installed through myACD (within ACDSee 7
    or ACDSee 7 PowerPack). Simply open ACDSee, click Help | myACD,
    select ACDSee photoPro, and click Enter License Code.

    For more information about myACD, click Help from within myACD.

    You will find your Licence Code in your order confirmation e-mail.

    Mark M, Sep 25, 2004
  14. On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 00:10:01 -0700, Mark M wrote:

    > "Kjell Harnesk" <2g.nu> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 20:34:25 -0700, Mark M wrote:
    >>
    >>> OK.
    >>> This is coming from a LONG time user of ACDSee who has LOUDLY voiced
    >>> irritation with them for releasing new version that are extremely buggy.

    >> I upgrade too, seems solid so far. But what´s with the PhotoPro that was
    >> bundled. I dont see any PhotoPro but myACD tells me that it is properly
    >> installed!?

    > There was a text file incuded that says the following:
    > ------------------------
    > Thank you for purchasing ACDSee photoPro.
    >
    > ACDSee photoPro must be installed through myACD (within ACDSee 7
    > or ACDSee 7 PowerPack). Simply open ACDSee, click Help | myACD,
    > select ACDSee photoPro, and click Enter License Code.
    >
    > For more information about myACD, click Help from within myACD.
    >
    > You will find your Licence Code in your order confirmation e-mail.

    I´ve done that, worked OK, but the application PhotoPro is this something
    that just is invisible enhancemets? I expected to have a menu "Edit in
    PhotoPro" or something similar. In short, I can´t see any diffrence in
    plain ACDSee and ACDSee with PhotoPro installed. Is this what I should
    expect?

    Kjell Harnesk, Sep 25, 2004
  15. In Message-ID:<St55d.334890$Oi.298041@fed1read04> posted on Fri, 24 Sep
    2004 20:20:18 -0700, Jerk Mark M wrote:

    >He asked for information I wasn't familiar with.
    >I offered to help, but asked for clarification.

    You offered no help at all, but instead merely flaunted your ignorance,
    which should be somewhat lessened by now if you followed the second link
    provided. Next tine instead of saying something pathetically lame like
    you did, you'll justfuckinggoogleit instead.

    Justín Käse, Sep 25, 2004
  16. Short explanation:
    http://www.pixvue.com/support/faq.html#1.3
    Longer explanation:
    http://www.controlledvocabulary.com/imagedatabases/iptc_naa.html
    --
    Patrick Peccatte
    www.kalimages.com

    Patrick Peccatte, Sep 25, 2004
  17. Mark M

    > In Message-ID:<St55d.334890$Oi.298041@fed1read04> posted on Fri, 24 Sep
    > 2004 20:20:18 -0700, Jerk Mark M wrote:
    >
    > >He asked for information I wasn't familiar with.
    > >I offered to help, but asked for clarification.

    > You offered no help at all, but instead merely flaunted your ignorance,
    > which should be somewhat lessened by now if you followed the second link
    > provided. Next tine instead of saying something pathetically lame like
    > you did, you'll justfuckinggoogleit instead.

    I made no promises to become anyone's person research assistant.
    I did offer my experience with a software title few have yet seen, and the
    first on this forum. -Take it or leave it.

    What you call "flaunting ignorance" some would call humble admission.
    Perhaps you would prefer I quickly look it up and then pretend I knew it all
    along? Thank you, no.
    -If you expect everyone to instantly research questions they don't know the
    answer to, then look elsewhere. --That you follow it with insult only
    reflects upon you.

    Mark M, Sep 25, 2004
  18. Mark M

    > On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 00:10:01 -0700, Mark M wrote:
    >
    > > "Kjell Harnesk" <2g.nu> wrote in message

    buggy.

    > >> I upgrade too, seems solid so far. But what´s with the PhotoPro that

    was
    > >> bundled. I dont see any PhotoPro but myACD tells me that it is properly
    > >> installed!?

    > > There was a text file incuded that says the following:
    > > ------------------------
    > > Thank you for purchasing ACDSee photoPro.
    > >
    > > ACDSee photoPro must be installed through myACD (within ACDSee 7
    > > or ACDSee 7 PowerPack). Simply open ACDSee, click Help | myACD,
    > > select ACDSee photoPro, and click Enter License Code.
    > >
    > > For more information about myACD, click Help from within myACD.
    > >
    > > You will find your Licence Code in your order confirmation e-mail.

    > I´ve done that, worked OK, but the application PhotoPro is this something
    > that just is invisible enhancemets? I expected to have a menu "Edit in
    > PhotoPro" or something similar. In short, I can´t see any diffrence in
    > plain ACDSee and ACDSee with PhotoPro installed. Is this what I should
    > expect?

    I'm not sure, since I don't use ACDSee to edit (only to send stuff to
    Photoshop when editing is needed). But my impression is that the change
    involves things like 16 bit modes and other higher level manipulation
    abilities.

    Here's what they say in their promotion of it:
    Keep in mind that they are charging you all of...
    ....5 bucks for this addition...
    ACDSee photoPro Highlights
    Included in this offer (value of 39.99 usd):

    ACDSee photoPro adds RAW support, 16-bit per channel editing and color
    management to ACDSee.
    Get support for Image Color Management (ICM) 2.0, in compliance with
    International Color Consortium (ICC) standards.

    Decode full-resolution RAW images from all major camera manufacturers.

    Convert RAW files to TIFF or JPEG 2000 formats for editing.

    48-bit support maintains the subtle details of your original photo

    Extend ACDSee's built-in editor to support 16-bit per channel images in TIFF
    or JPEG 2000 formats.

    Select and apply monitor profiles to ensure color quality control.

    Print colors as you see them onscreen with new printer support.
    -----------------------------------
    This is a BIG DEAL if you want consistency in viewing between Photoshop and
    ACDSee, etc.

    Mark M, Sep 25, 2004
  19. Mark M

    > On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 00:10:01 -0700, Mark M wrote:
    >
    > > "Kjell Harnesk" <2g.nu> wrote in message

    buggy.

    > >> I upgrade too, seems solid so far. But what´s with the PhotoPro that

    was
    > >> bundled. I dont see any PhotoPro but myACD tells me that it is properly
    > >> installed!?

    OK.
    I now have a more complete answer:

    **After installation of PhotoPro, the "Options" window (under the tools
    menu)
    now contains an additional (and otherwise absent) section called "color
    management." This is not available without PhotoPro.

    -----This is the EXACT kind of control I was hoping would be added to ACDSee
    so that screen presentation could be made to match that of other
    color-managed programs like Photoshop.

    This has been a real barrier to full usefulness of using the viewer to
    distinguish between versions of color-corrected files.

    Thanks, ACD!
    You came though BIG this time.

    Mark M, Sep 25, 2004
  20. On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 02:47:48 -0700, Mark M wrote:

    > I now have a more complete answer:
    >
    > **After installation of PhotoPro, the "Options" window (under the tools
    > menu)
    > now contains an additional (and otherwise absent) section called "color
    > management." This is not available without PhotoPro.

    Verified here too, thanks Mark!
    --
    Kjell Harnesk, Sweden

    Kjell Harnesk, Sep 25, 2004