    Upgrading? Not me!

    What do other people think?

    Dan

    dan, Oct 2, 2003

  2. dan

    Guest

    On 1 Oct 2003 16:35:59 -0700, (dan) wrote:

    >The trial is now available to download from www.acdsee.com , and my
    >first impression - aarghhh!!
    >
    >What have they done with the nice clean interface?
    >
    >They have taken away the album feature!!!
    >
    >It's slower and clunkier than v. 5.
    >
    >Upgrading? Not me!
    >
    >What do other people think?
    >
    >Dan

    I installed it earlier today. After installation it asked if it could
    import the database from the v5 installed, so I let it. Two hours
    later it was still churning away, crippling my pc (not slow - 2800,
    1gb ram) and was only 2/3 of the way through. I killed it. They appear
    to have made some totally pointless changes just for the sake of it,
    making you trawl through the options trying to find out where this and
    that has gone to. Neither can I find a way to customise the toolbar
    now to remove icons I don't want like In Touch and Help, so it looks
    like they've removed that little option. When you right click on a pic
    to select properties to see exif data this awful sidebar pops up full
    of crap, stealing 25% of the picture space which you then have to
    close every time. There is a new column of boxes in the folder tree by
    which you can view simultaneously the contents of more than one
    folder, which may be useful.

    But they really have excelled in stupidity in one area. The
    auto-rename. In v4 and earlier when moving files to another folder you
    could select an auto-rename separator which would automatically be put
    in place when the comparison window opened when a same file name clash
    occurred. In v5 this option failed, and you had to do each rename
    manually. Despite many complaints from people they couldn't be
    bothered to fix it. And have they fixed it in 6? Have they bollocks.
    If you de-select the 'Ask' option it will auto-rename, but then you
    don't get the option of comparing the 2 pictures and making a
    decision. At this point I wish the local group pet troll could send
    some of his comments to ACDSee.

    First views seem to indicate to me that there are no compelling
    reasons to upgrade, and more reasons to stick with the trusty, lean,
    mean v2.4.

    MJ

    , Oct 2, 2003

  3. dan

    JunkMonkey Guest

    I have upgraded to PowerPack V6 last week. I haven't had the problems you
    report. the conversion went pretty smooth and I haven't noticed any
    "slowness" but I only have about 300 photos in my database right now. You
    are correct about the "new user interface". Things have been rearranged for
    no apparent gain in productivity. I suspect it was to create a sense of
    continuity with the WIN XP look and feel. Though Win XP is incredibly UGLY
    and now ACDSee is also incredibly UGLY.

    The interface changes aren't as sweeping or radical as the one from V3 to
    V4, but it's just different enough to be irritating. I wish to God, they
    stop doing this sort of thing! They are driving people away from what is a
    very good product at its core. The interface changes seem almost malicious
    in nature now.

    As far as PowerPack goes, It now consists of ACDSee proper, fotoCanvas, and
    fotoSlate (the fancy print program) has now replaced fotoAngelo (the fancy
    slide show program). fotoCanvas and fotoSlate now have color management and
    have numerous minor improvements. Both are VERY good at what they do and
    are also VERY easy to use and learn. I could comfortably recommend both to
    either a beginner or to a serious photographer who want to maintain a simple
    workflow and who doesn't need layers. I also like the easy way you can use
    the text functions to add a semi transparent "watermark" text to a photo.
    I suspect I'll be using PhotoPaint just a little less often.

    The upgrade "sweetener" application was a new slideshow application (third
    party, apparently) called PhotoShow2. It's OK, but it is no fotoAngelo (I
    hope THAT one isn't being retired). The PhotoShow user interface and some
    functions are just a little too "Cute" for my tastes. It claims to be able
    to create CD's playable on newer DVD players, but I guess my DVD player is
    too old or too cheap. I don't use a slide show application all that often,
    but when I do, I don't want to use some lame "cutie pie" application. Which
    this one looks to be.

    JunkMonkey, Oct 2, 2003
  4. dan

    Guest

    On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 02:48:08 +0100, wrote:

    Further to my earlier comments on failing to fix a bug, I've just been
    having fun and games with a new one.

    I have a folder named 'Print' . I have just tried to rename it
    'Printed' . After I've typed in 'printed' it renames it to 'ed' and
    refuses to budge from it, even though explorer is showing it renamed
    correctly. I then tried to create a folder named 'print 2' and it
    would name it '2' Only by shutting it down and re-opening it can I get
    the right names to show. It seems to work ok now, but I'm not holding
    my breath.

    MJ

    , Oct 2, 2003
  5. dan

    Mark M Guest

    "dan" <> wrote in message
    > The trial is now available to download from www.acdsee.com , and my
    > first impression - aarghhh!!
    >
    > What have they done with the nice clean interface?
    >
    > They have taken away the album feature!!!
    >
    > It's slower and clunkier than v. 5.
    >
    > Upgrading? Not me!
    >
    > What do other people think?

    ACDSee 6 has basically turned my machine to crap with it's apparently lame
    attempts to identify things plugged into my computer.
    I've had to disable it's device detector applet...

    Also... Slide show timing no longer lets you time shots in
    miliseconds...now it's just full seconds. This makes it impossible to use
    it for time-lapse and stop-motion animation presentation adn
    experiementation--something I've had a lot of fun with.

    I haven't tried much with the program yet, but so far it gets a BUG thumbs
    DOWN...from a LONG-TIME user. :(

    Mark M, Oct 2, 2003
  6. dan

    Faolan Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > The trial is now available to download from www.acdsee.com , and my
    > first impression - aarghhh!!
    >
    > What have they done with the nice clean interface?
    >
    > They have taken away the album feature!!!
    >
    > It's slower and clunkier than v. 5.
    >
    > Upgrading? Not me!
    >
    > What do other people think?
    >
    > Dan

    I deleted the database, it slowed my system right down (this is on a
    SCSI 3 HD!). Whilst I have noticed the viewer is faster the browser is
    just too slow to use. Deleting the database actually speeds the program
    up. Not a lot but it's still a bit faster

    They have incorporated some nice features, but they have made the
    program slower than a dinosaur to respond. Probably won't buy the
    program as it's just too cumbersome to use and offers little in the way
    of 'essential' features.

    Faolan, Oct 2, 2003
  7. dan

    Guest

    On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 20:04:33 -0700, "Mark M" <> wrote:

    >"dan" <> wrote in message
    >> The trial is now available to download from www.acdsee.com , and my
    >> first impression - aarghhh!!
    >>
    >> What have they done with the nice clean interface?
    >>
    >> They have taken away the album feature!!!
    >>
    >> It's slower and clunkier than v. 5.
    >>
    >> Upgrading? Not me!
    >>
    >> What do other people think?

    >ACDSee 6 has basically turned my machine to crap with it's apparently lame
    >attempts to identify things plugged into my computer.
    >I've had to disable it's device detector applet...
    >
    >Also... Slide show timing no longer lets you time shots in
    >miliseconds...now it's just full seconds. This makes it impossible to use
    >it for time-lapse and stop-motion animation presentation adn
    >experiementation--something I've had a lot of fun with.
    >
    >I haven't tried much with the program yet, but so far it gets a BUG thumbs
    >DOWN...from a LONG-TIME user. :(

    I had this device detector after I first installed it. After I right
    clicked the applet and exited it, it has not returned since.

    I've been playing with it for a couple of hours now. I've also now
    found that the thumbnails have lost their coloured title bars to
    identify what type of file it is - jpg, tiff, psd etc, and you have to
    squint down at an icon on the lower info bar next to the file name to
    tell you. Also now gone is the option to put newly placed files at
    the beginning of the thumbnails and auto-select. They all now go
    straight to the end.

    I've just dug out my old version 4 and installed it, and I can't
    believe how much better it is than both 5 and 6. I was wrong when I
    said earlier about the auto-rename bug. v4 has it too so v3 must have
    the fully working feature. So that's 3 complete versions where they
    haven't fixed it. I haven't used v4 on XP before so I'm now going to
    give it a good workout over the next few days and see how it goes.

    MJ

    , Oct 2, 2003
  8. dan

    JohnF Guest

    "dan" <> wrote in message
    > It's slower and clunkier than v. 5.

    I decided to keep ACDSee 5.0 on my machine for a while.

    I like version 6. I'll admit the inital build of the database took a while,
    but I have lots of images and some are very large.

    JohnF, Oct 2, 2003
  9. dan

    Ptarmigan Guest

    "JohnF" <> wrote in message
    | "dan" <> wrote in message
    | > It's slower and clunkier than v. 5.
    |
    | I decided to keep ACDSee 5.0 on my machine for a while.
    |
    | I like version 6. I'll admit the inital build of the database took a
    while,
    | but I have lots of images and some are very large.

    I would agree that version 6 is very good with a few extra 'goodies' like
    rating a picture : much better cataloguing features etc.
    Thumbs up from me and worth every penny.
    HTH
    Brian--
    Checked using Norton Antivirus 2004

    Ptarmigan, Oct 2, 2003
  10. dan

    Mark M Guest

    "JohnF" <> wrote in message
    > "dan" <> wrote in message
    > > It's slower and clunkier than v. 5.

    > I decided to keep ACDSee 5.0 on my machine for a while.
    >
    > I like version 6. I'll admit the inital build of the database took a

    while,
    > but I have lots of images and some are very large.

    Right now I've got both on my system.
    I'll continue to happily use 5 until they build an update for 6.
    Meanwhile, folks...save your money and wait.
    --I'm tired of being used as a beta-tester under the guise of a finished
    product!

    I'm an ACDSee fan, but I gotta say that their initial launches have been the
    WORST, most BUG-RIDDEN I've ever seen. Once they work things out, they've
    got a product that is second to NONE for it's main purpose. But I wish
    they'd wait next time and save us all some head-aches.

    Mark M, Oct 3, 2003
  11. dan

    Mark M Guest

    "Ptarmigan" <> wrote in message
    > "JohnF" <> wrote in message
    > | "dan" <> wrote in message
    > | > It's slower and clunkier than v. 5.
    > |
    > | I decided to keep ACDSee 5.0 on my machine for a while.
    > |
    > | I like version 6. I'll admit the inital build of the database took a
    > while,
    > | but I have lots of images and some are very large.
    > |
    > I would agree that version 6 is very good with a few extra 'goodies' like
    > rating a picture : much better cataloguing features etc.
    > Thumbs up from me and worth every penny.

    I'm sure I'll agree with that eventually.
    I am looking forward to using the rating feature and several other key
    additions...once things become more stable.

    Mark M, Oct 3, 2003
  12. dan

    Basiltoo Guest

    "Mark M" <> wrote in

    > I'm an ACDSee fan, but I gotta say that their initial launches have
    > been the WORST, most BUG-RIDDEN I've ever seen. Once they work things
    > out, they've got a product that is second to NONE for it's main
    > purpose. But I wish they'd wait next time and save us all some
    > head-aches.

    Agree 100%. I like the new cleaner interface and extra features of this
    version over V.5 but miss details like the 'updirectory button'. I am
    having real problems with removeable media both floppy and CD. Once the
    data has been catalogued the program crashes in Calendar mode when the
    media is not available. You either have to delete the whole catalogue or
    remove the CD/floppy from the catalogue. I just can't believe this bug
    because it is so obvious. Perhaps I am doing something wrong.

    --
    Regards,
    Baz

    http://www.trevellan.co.uk

    Basiltoo, Oct 3, 2003
  13. dan

    Guest

    On 3 Oct 2003 09:38:33 GMT, Basiltoo <> wrote:

    >"Mark M" <> wrote in
    >
    >> I'm an ACDSee fan, but I gotta say that their initial launches have
    >> been the WORST, most BUG-RIDDEN I've ever seen. Once they work things
    >> out, they've got a product that is second to NONE for it's main
    >> purpose. But I wish they'd wait next time and save us all some
    >> head-aches.

    >Agree 100%. I like the new cleaner interface and extra features of this
    >version over V.5 but miss details like the 'updirectory button'. I am
    >having real problems with removeable media both floppy and CD. Once the
    >data has been catalogued the program crashes in Calendar mode when the
    >media is not available. You either have to delete the whole catalogue or
    >remove the CD/floppy from the catalogue. I just can't believe this bug
    >because it is so obvious. Perhaps I am doing something wrong.

    Like I mentioned earlier, after first installation I right-clicked the
    media icon in the in the tray, selected exit or something, got asked a
    question, gave the right answer and it hasn't bothered me since. There
    might also be an option in the options menu but I never needed it.

    MJ

    , Oct 3, 2003
  14. I did also have this feeling of a slow version 6. I installed the new
    version on my P4 2GHz, 512MB RAM and it was unable to work with. I
    started version 6, but nothing happened today so I use my version 5. I
    worked still OK.

    I have converted my database upon startup, and everything seemed to be
    OK. One hour after closing down version 5, the new version 6 window
    came up!!!!! But I was unable to do anything while the program was
    working.

    I stopped the program, restarted my computer, deleted the whole
    database and the rest under:
    c:\Documents and Settings\Jan Birger\Application Data\ACD Systems\

    I started the new version and it was much faster. Well, I had to
    rebuild my database, but that was quick. Even with 10 000 pictures in.

    JB

    Jan Birger H?vardsrud, Oct 4, 2003
  15. dan

    Sid Daley Guest

    How exactly do you feel the cataloging function has been improved?
    I don't see much difference myself.

    Sid

    Sid Daley, Oct 4, 2003
  16. dan

    Ptarmigan Guest

    "Sid Daley" <> wrote in message
    | How exactly do you feel the cataloging function has been improved?
    | I don't see much difference myself.
    |

    | Sid

    Hi Sid
    The difference is in the way you can catalogue pictures. You click on boxes
    to add various bits of data which is much faster than holding down the Shift
    or CTRL keys then going through all the pictures one by one.
    The whole program runs a little faster than the older version.
    The magnify button is better.
    The icons are much easier to amend/update as in Windows Excel style.
    Batch renaming is easier.
    Need I go on ?
    Try it - it works fine for me.

    Ptarmigan, Oct 4, 2003
  17. dan

    Joe Stalin Guest

    Re: ACDSee 6 ==> Slower than mollasses in January!

    On 1 Oct 2003 16:35:59 -0700, (dan) wrote:

    >The trial is now available to download from www.acdsee.com , and my
    >first impression - aarghhh!!
    >
    >What have they done with the nice clean interface?
    >
    >They have taken away the album feature!!!
    >
    >It's slower and clunkier than v. 5.
    >
    >Upgrading? Not me!
    >
    >What do other people think?
    >
    >Dan

    I installed it about 10 days ago. On the plus side, I like the
    interface, and there are some neat new features in it.

    However, this thing is horribly slow!!! Good god!! I don't have the
    world's fastest pc, but, it's far faster than ACDSee's system req's.
    It takes at least 30 secons or so just to lauch the browser. If I
    want to have more than one running, it takes over 30 seconds each
    time.
    I converted the 5.0 database, so I thought maybe it wasn't a very
    clean conversion. So I deinstalled 6.0, whacked the database, and
    resinstalled, creating a brand new d/b. No luck. It's still terribly
    slow to do ANYTHING. And if you happen to be downloading into
    the same directory the browser is pointing to, forget it. It just
    sit's there and churns away trying to refresh the view over and over.
    It locks up everything until I have to launch Task Manager and kill
    it. I never had to deal with any of this in 5.0. The actual
    ACDSee60.exe and DBlocalserver.exe are system hogs.

    Also, if I hightlight a thumbnail, right click, then click on 'Edit',
    I receive an error from Win2k saying:

    FotoCanvas3.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows.
    You will need to restart the program.
    An error log is being created.

    This only happens the first time I do this.

    ACDSee6.0 is now PRODUCTION?!? What kind of Q/A is this?

    I sent a support email to ACD Systems, and I received an email stating
    I will receive a reply within 24 to 48 hours. HA!! A WEEK later, I
    finally received a reply from a human being telling me, sorry, it took
    so long, we're receiving a lot of support calls. I'm sure they are
    after releasing this piece of junk. All this person told me was to
    compact the database. I've already done that countless times to no
    effect.

    Sorry for the long winded response. I just had to get this off my
    chest. Is anyone else suffering from this? Please let yourselves be
    heard. Maybe someone can come up with something to get around this
    frustration.

    Thanks!

    Joe Stalin, Oct 4, 2003
  18. dan

    Joe Stalin Guest

    On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 15:59:08 GMT, "Ptarmigan" <>
    wrote:

    >"Sid Daley" <> wrote in message
    >| How exactly do you feel the cataloging function has been improved?
    >| I don't see much difference myself.
    >|

    >| Sid
    >|
    >Hi Sid
    >The difference is in the way you can catalogue pictures. You click on boxes
    >to add various bits of data which is much faster than holding down the Shift
    >or CTRL keys then going through all the pictures one by one.
    >The whole program runs a little faster than the older version.
    >The magnify button is better.
    >The icons are much easier to amend/update as in Windows Excel style.
    >Batch renaming is easier.
    >Need I go on ?
    >Try it - it works fine for me.
    >HTH
    >
    >Brian--
    >Checked using Norton Antivirus 2004

    It runs faster than 5.0? What are you running? How many thumbnails
    to you have in your database? Just wondering for comparison.
    thanks.

    Joe Stalin, Oct 4, 2003
  19. dan

    Ptarmigan Guest

    <Joe Stalin> wrote in message
    | On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 15:59:08 GMT, "Ptarmigan" <>
    | wrote:
    |
    | >"Sid Daley" <> wrote in message
    | >| How exactly do you feel the cataloging function has been improved?
    | >| I don't see much difference myself.
    | >|
    | >|
    | >| Sid
    | >|
    | >Hi Sid
    | >The difference is in the way you can catalogue pictures. You click on
    boxes
    | >to add various bits of data which is much faster than holding down the
    Shift
    | >or CTRL keys then going through all the pictures one by one.
    | >The whole program runs a little faster than the older version.
    | >The magnify button is better.
    | >The icons are much easier to amend/update as in Windows Excel style.
    | >Batch renaming is easier.
    | >Need I go on ?
    | >Try it - it works fine for me.
    | >HTH
    | >
    | >Brian--
    | >Checked using Norton Antivirus 2004
    | >

    | It runs faster than 5.0? What are you running? How many thumbnails
    | to you have in your database? Just wondering for comparison.
    | thanks.

    12,578 thumbnails on a separate Hard drive.
    Once the database has captured all of them then reloading is fairly quick
    although if you look closely the quality of the thumbnails initially is not
    as good but soon becomes better after the program has updated them.
    Hope this makes sense !

    Regards

    Ptarmigan, Oct 4, 2003
  20. Re: ACDSee 6 ==> Slower than mollasses in January!

    Upgrading to 6.0, from ACD See Powerpack 5.0 is about 40 euros - no, not
    my money....
    Jouko

    Jouko Suontausta, Oct 4, 2003