ACDSee 6 - Updated reviews?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by John, Jul 25, 2004.

  1. John

    John Guest

    I bought ACDSee 6 last September, and it took them until March to produce an
    update that addressed my initial complaints.

    Since then, however, I've been quite pleased.

    Some features I now use regularly:

    - Adding captions and notes to the database, to produce contact sheets,
    album pages, and slide shows more quickly.

    - Assigning categories to images is a great help when putting together a
    show or creating a CD when the images are scattered among several different
    folders.

    - Creating a CD without having to use a separated CD burner package is very
    helpful.

    - Configuring the edit menu to readily link to any of several editors that I
    use and to easily choose my default editor.

    - Really fast access to stored images.


    I understand Microsoft Digital Image Library is getting good marks as an
    ACDSee competitor. Comments?


    John
     
    John, Jul 25, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. John

    Bob Thomas Guest

    On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 22:59:21 GMT, "John"
    <> wrote:

    >I bought ACDSee 6 last September, and it took them until March to produce an
    >update that addressed my initial complaints.
    >
    >Since then, however, I've been quite pleased.
    >
    >I understand Microsoft Digital Image Library is getting good marks as an
    >ACDSee competitor. Comments?
    >
    >

    I tried Version 6, and the slowness of its thumbnails was very
    offputting, so i went back to Version 5.

    Tried the updates since then - still hopelessly slow to show
    thumbnails so i'm sticking with version 5.

    Bob T.
     
    Bob Thomas, Jul 26, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. John

    ColynG© Guest

    On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 22:59:21 GMT, "John"
    <> wrote:

    >I bought ACDSee 6 last September, and it took them until March to produce an
    >update that addressed my initial complaints.
    >
    >Since then, however, I've been quite pleased.
    >

    Which version update of v6 are you using now? I'm using v6.0.3.0018


    Colyn Goodson

    email hidden

    http://www.colyngoodson.com
     
    ColynG©, Jul 26, 2004
    #3
  4. John

    Mark M Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message
    news:dXWMc.16250$...
    > I bought ACDSee 6 last September, and it took them until March to produce

    an
    > update that addressed my initial complaints.
    >
    > Since then, however, I've been quite pleased.
    >
    > Some features I now use regularly:
    >
    > - Adding captions and notes to the database, to produce contact sheets,
    > album pages, and slide shows more quickly.
    >
    > - Assigning categories to images is a great help when putting together a
    > show or creating a CD when the images are scattered among several

    different
    > folders.
    >
    > - Creating a CD without having to use a separated CD burner package is

    very
    > helpful.
    >
    > - Configuring the edit menu to readily link to any of several editors that

    I
    > use and to easily choose my default editor.
    >
    > - Really fast access to stored images.
    >
    >
    > I understand Microsoft Digital Image Library is getting good marks as an
    > ACDSee competitor. Comments?


    ACDSee 6 is now rock solid.
    The infuriating thing about ACD Systems is that they consitently release
    new versions FAR before they are even remotely ready for prime time, and are
    VERY slow to fix things.
    Add to this the fact that they NEVER admit their mistakes.
    That said...I'm am very pleased with version 6 with the latest updates.
    It handles my 100,000+ files, AND the 200,000+ back-ups of those with ease.
     
    Mark M, Jul 26, 2004
    #4
  5. John

    Fuzzy Logic Guest

    "Mark M" <> wrote in
    news:_OZMc.15272$%p4.3288@okepread04:

    >
    > "John" <> wrote in message
    > news:dXWMc.16250$...
    >> I bought ACDSee 6 last September, and it took them until March to
    >> produce

    > an
    >> update that addressed my initial complaints.
    >>
    >> Since then, however, I've been quite pleased.
    >>
    >> Some features I now use regularly:
    >>
    >> - Adding captions and notes to the database, to produce contact sheets,
    >> album pages, and slide shows more quickly.
    >>
    >> - Assigning categories to images is a great help when putting together
    >> a show or creating a CD when the images are scattered among several

    > different
    >> folders.
    >>
    >> - Creating a CD without having to use a separated CD burner package is

    > very
    >> helpful.
    >>
    >> - Configuring the edit menu to readily link to any of several editors
    >> that

    > I
    >> use and to easily choose my default editor.
    >>
    >> - Really fast access to stored images.
    >>
    >>
    >> I understand Microsoft Digital Image Library is getting good marks as
    >> an ACDSee competitor. Comments?

    >
    > ACDSee 6 is now rock solid.
    > The infuriating thing about ACD Systems is that they consitently
    > release new versions FAR before they are even remotely ready for prime
    > time, and are VERY slow to fix things.
    > Add to this the fact that they NEVER admit their mistakes.
    > That said...I'm am very pleased with version 6 with the latest updates.
    > It handles my 100,000+ files, AND the 200,000+ back-ups of those with
    > ease.


    I haven't used ACDSee since v2.43 when I switched to ThumbsPlus. They do
    extensive testing and have great support. Currently they are beta testing
    version 7. You might want to check it out <www.cerious.com>
     
    Fuzzy Logic, Jul 26, 2004
    #5
  6. John

    Guest

    Fuzzy Logic <> wrote:

    >> ACDSee 6 is now rock solid.
    >> The infuriating thing about ACD Systems is that they consitently
    >> release new versions FAR before they are even remotely ready for prime
    >> time, and are VERY slow to fix things.
    >> Add to this the fact that they NEVER admit their mistakes.
    >> That said...I'm am very pleased with version 6 with the latest updates.
    >> It handles my 100,000+ files, AND the 200,000+ back-ups of those with
    >> ease.


    > I haven't used ACDSee since v2.43 when I switched to ThumbsPlus. They do
    > extensive testing and have great support. Currently they are beta testing
    > version 7. You might want to check it out <www.cerious.com>


    Yes, ThumbsPlus is a nice product. I do with their thumbnail indexing
    is faster. ACDSee indexes my directory pretty fast. ThumbsPlus is a
    lot slower. I do like its "Scan Tree" feature though, with ACDSee have
    a similar option...

    Raymond
     
    , Sep 11, 2004
    #6
  7. John

    Rick S. Guest

    On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 01:17:20 +0000 (UTC), wrote:

    >Fuzzy Logic <> wrote:
    >
    >>> ACDSee 6 is now rock solid.
    >>> The infuriating thing about ACD Systems is that they consitently
    >>> release new versions FAR before they are even remotely ready for prime
    >>> time, and are VERY slow to fix things.
    >>> Add to this the fact that they NEVER admit their mistakes.
    >>> That said...I'm am very pleased with version 6 with the latest updates.
    >>> It handles my 100,000+ files, AND the 200,000+ back-ups of those with
    >>> ease.

    >
    >> I haven't used ACDSee since v2.43 when I switched to ThumbsPlus. They do
    >> extensive testing and have great support. Currently they are beta testing
    >> version 7. You might want to check it out <www.cerious.com>

    >
    >Yes, ThumbsPlus is a nice product. I do with their thumbnail indexing
    >is faster. ACDSee indexes my directory pretty fast. ThumbsPlus is a
    >lot slower. I do like its "Scan Tree" feature though, with ACDSee have
    >a similar option...
    >
    >Raymond

    I used ACDC from the begininnig and it was very handy, easy to
    navigate. I updated to 4.0, then 5.0 (or whatever- 5.012etc) and it
    just got so bloated that I lost interest. as the above guy says, when
    you have 1000's of photos, and backups, it matters. I bought adobe's
    album 2.0; haven't played with it enough to decide whether it's gonna
    be THE ONE for me. when he says that ACDC is rock solid now, that's
    significant; since in looking over all the choices before I went to
    Album 2,0, ACDC was still my second choice. Is it still bloated? It
    seemed it was trying to do everything in the world, and becomes too
    complex.
    What are your thoughts, Raymond and Bob?
    Rick
    PS- when you say ACDC is rocksolid, did you get the whole package,
    with all the extra stuff or just the core image management program?
     
    Rick S., Sep 11, 2004
    #7
  8. John

    Mark M Guest

    "Rick S." <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 01:17:20 +0000 (UTC), wrote:
    >
    > >Fuzzy Logic <> wrote:
    > >
    > >>> ACDSee 6 is now rock solid.
    > >>> The infuriating thing about ACD Systems is that they consitently
    > >>> release new versions FAR before they are even remotely ready for prime
    > >>> time, and are VERY slow to fix things.
    > >>> Add to this the fact that they NEVER admit their mistakes.
    > >>> That said...I'm am very pleased with version 6 with the latest

    updates.
    > >>> It handles my 100,000+ files, AND the 200,000+ back-ups of those with
    > >>> ease.

    > >
    > >> I haven't used ACDSee since v2.43 when I switched to ThumbsPlus. They

    do
    > >> extensive testing and have great support. Currently they are beta

    testing
    > >> version 7. You might want to check it out <www.cerious.com>

    > >
    > >Yes, ThumbsPlus is a nice product. I do with their thumbnail indexing
    > >is faster. ACDSee indexes my directory pretty fast. ThumbsPlus is a
    > >lot slower. I do like its "Scan Tree" feature though, with ACDSee have
    > >a similar option...
    > >
    > >Raymond

    > I used ACDC from the begininnig and it was very handy, easy to
    > navigate. I updated to 4.0, then 5.0 (or whatever- 5.012etc) and it
    > just got so bloated that I lost interest. as the above guy says, when
    > you have 1000's of photos, and backups, it matters. I bought adobe's
    > album 2.0; haven't played with it enough to decide whether it's gonna
    > be THE ONE for me. when he says that ACDC is rock solid now, that's
    > significant; since in looking over all the choices before I went to
    > Album 2,0, ACDC was still my second choice. Is it still bloated? It
    > seemed it was trying to do everything in the world, and becomes too
    > complex.
    > What are your thoughts, Raymond and Bob?
    > Rick
    > PS- when you say ACDC is rocksolid, did you get the whole package,
    > with all the extra stuff or just the core image management program?


    I have it fully installed, and yes...it is rock solid.
    As you will note from my other posts, I am certainly not shy about blowing
    the horn when they screw up, either. I think you can take my posts
    seriously because although I'm a fan, I WILL identify its flaws. As I've
    said... Tread cautiously until you've tried the demo with new versions, and
    REALLY fiddle with it. It's been 3 full major versions since they released
    a good one on the first try. I'm hoping version 7 is solid off the bat,
    because according to the ACD guy on this forum, it will address some of my
    wish list items--though he's mum about which. On the other hand...they've
    been overly optimistic before...

    Anyway... Yes. Version 6...the FULL SALAMI is very very good.
    That is, of course, assuming you're not trying to squeeze it into an old
    choppy computer system...

    -Mark M
     
    Mark M, Sep 11, 2004
    #8
  9. John

    Gadgets Guest

    Don't forget the 6.06 update if you're using v6. Great package for the $.

    Cheers, Jason (remove ... to reply)
    Video & Gaming: http://gadgetaus.com
     
    Gadgets, Sep 11, 2004
    #9
  10. Mark M wrote:

    > I have it fully installed, and yes...it is rock solid.
    > As you will note from my other posts, I am certainly not shy about blowing
    > the horn when they screw up, either. I think you can take my posts
    > seriously because although I'm a fan, I WILL identify its flaws. As I've
    > said... Tread cautiously until you've tried the demo with new versions, and
    > REALLY fiddle with it. It's been 3 full major versions since they released
    > a good one on the first try. I'm hoping version 7 is solid off the bat,
    > because according to the ACD guy on this forum, it will address some of my
    > wish list items--though he's mum about which. On the other hand...they've
    > been overly optimistic before...
    >
    > Anyway... Yes. Version 6...the FULL SALAMI is very very good.
    > That is, of course, assuming you're not trying to squeeze it into an old
    > choppy computer system...
    >
    > -Mark M
    >
    >


    All I can say is, fair enough. I really do want to tell everyone what's
    new and fixed, etc., but I can't leak information... other than what
    I've already implied.

    I can't refute anything your saying, so I'll go with the flow, and await
    your thoughts on the new version when it gets released. (I know, I
    know... soon.)


    Thanks,

    --
    James Addison
    http://www.pjsoft.ca
     
    James Addison, Sep 11, 2004
    #10
  11. Gadgets wrote:
    > Don't forget the 6.06 update if you're using v6. Great package for the $.
    >
    > Cheers, Jason (remove ... to reply)
    > Video & Gaming: http://gadgetaus.com


    If I recall correctly, 6.0.6 is a locale-specific version. For English
    users, 6.0.3 is the latest version. I'm almost positive. :)

    --
    James Addison
    http://www.pjsoft.ca
     
    James Addison, Sep 11, 2004
    #11
  12. John

    Hal Guest

    "James Addison" <> wrote in message
    news:32I0d.375481$M95.312590@pd7tw1no...
    > Gadgets wrote:
    > > Don't forget the 6.06 update if you're using v6. Great package for the

    $.
    > >
    > > Cheers, Jason (remove ... to reply)
    > > Video & Gaming: http://gadgetaus.com

    >
    > If I recall correctly, 6.0.6 is a locale-specific version. For English
    > users, 6.0.3 is the latest version. I'm almost positive. :)
    >
    > --
    > James Addison
    > http://www.pjsoft.ca


    Hi James,

    Yes, the latest version is 6.03 (6.03.0018 to be exact).

    Rock solid performance here. Looking forward to v7.

    Regards,

    Hal Lowe
    http://hals.vstoremarket.com (HaloweGraphics SuperStore)
    http://www.halowe-graphics.com/tinc?key=0TmhZVQ5&formname=web_email
    http://www.halowe-graphics.com/photo.html (free original video textures)
    http://1and1.com/?k_id=7391019 (Best website host/great prices)
     
    Hal, Sep 11, 2004
    #12
  13. On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 18:57:03 GMT, James Addison <> wrote:

    >
    >All I can say is, fair enough. I really do want to tell everyone what's
    >new and fixed, etc., but I can't leak information... other than what
    >I've already implied


    I have several complaints about 5 and 6
    one is there is no UNDO when you accidentally delete an image or a folder of
    images. there should be a lot more UNDO capability built in other than editing.
    Another is when opening a folder, sometimes (5 was really bad), the program
    would not "stick" when you hilited a folder for it to open.
    Often you ended up with the previous folder opening again.
    but I had it happen in 6.03 today.

    Also, the template for file name changes when saving from the camera to the
    folders in ACDC, are very poor. I have spent literally hours installing,
    uninstalling, reinstalling, deleting regedit, deleting file application, yada,
    yada all in an attempt to get the program to reinstate the original template
    format. Got to be an easier way to do this.

    enough... needless to say, I have used ACDSee for going on 10 yrs about as long
    as Forte's Agent email client.

    the 32 version had less problems than the present 6 or the total POC/POS v.5
    .... I finally have 6 working well now but hell, I am using an Intel 3.2ghz
    Intel PERL mobo, SATA drives, an 800 FSB, 2 gb of 400 DDR, an ATI 9600XT,
    yada....

    yeah, it screams but so did ACD32 on a K6 400mhz with 188mb of ram.

    program is bloated and trying to do to much. may check into Gimp or other Linux
    s/w...

    fwiw
    chas
    --
    chas
    The new Canon DSLR elist. no trolls, etc
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canon-dslr/join

    ....
     
    schuetzen - RKBA!, Sep 12, 2004
    #13
  14. schuetzen - RKBA! wrote:

    > I have several complaints about 5 and 6
    > one is there is no UNDO when you accidentally delete an image or a folder of
    > images. there should be a lot more UNDO capability built in other than editing.
    > Another is when opening a folder, sometimes (5 was really bad), the program
    > would not "stick" when you hilited a folder for it to open.
    > Often you ended up with the previous folder opening again.
    > but I had it happen in 6.03 today.
    >
    > Also, the template for file name changes when saving from the camera to the
    > folders in ACDC, are very poor. I have spent literally hours installing,
    > uninstalling, reinstalling, deleting regedit, deleting file application, yada,
    > yada all in an attempt to get the program to reinstate the original template
    > format. Got to be an easier way to do this.
    >
    > enough... needless to say, I have used ACDSee for going on 10 yrs about as long
    > as Forte's Agent email client.
    >
    > the 32 version had less problems than the present 6 or the total POC/POS v.5
    > ... I finally have 6 working well now but hell, I am using an Intel 3.2ghz
    > Intel PERL mobo, SATA drives, an 800 FSB, 2 gb of 400 DDR, an ATI 9600XT,
    > yada....
    >
    > yeah, it screams but so did ACD32 on a K6 400mhz with 188mb of ram.
    >
    > program is bloated and trying to do to much. may check into Gimp or other Linux
    > s/w...
    >
    > fwiw
    > chas
    > --
    > chas
    > The new Canon DSLR elist. no trolls, etc
    > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canon-dslr/join
    >
    > ...


    If you are having troubles with the software, the best place to turn is
    to our public forums at http://forums.acdsystems.com, where a member of
    our customer support team or perhaps another user will respond. They
    may be able to help you with the issues you raise here.

    As always, thank you for your comments - keep them coming. We want user
    feedback.

    --
    James Addison
    http://www.pjsoft.ca
     
    James Addison, Sep 12, 2004
    #14
  15. John

    Gadgets Guest

    > I have several complaints about 5 and 6 one is there is no UNDO when you
    > accidentally delete an image or a folder


    Check your options - 'use recycle bin' is there...


    Cheers, Jason (remove ... to reply)
    Video & Gaming: http://gadgetaus.com
     
    Gadgets, Sep 12, 2004
    #15
  16. John

    Mark M Guest

    "schuetzen - RKBA!" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 18:57:03 GMT, James Addison <>

    wrote:
    >
    > >
    > >All I can say is, fair enough. I really do want to tell everyone what's
    > >new and fixed, etc., but I can't leak information... other than what
    > >I've already implied

    >
    > I have several complaints about 5 and 6
    > one is there is no UNDO when you accidentally delete an image or a folder

    of
    > images. there should be a lot more UNDO capability built in other than

    editing.

    If you want to undo, then let it use the Windows recycle bin.
    ACDSee does use it by default. If it's not using it, it's because you told
    it not to.

    > Another is when opening a folder, sometimes (5 was really bad), the

    program
    > would not "stick" when you hilited a folder for it to open.
    > Often you ended up with the previous folder opening again.
    > but I had it happen in 6.03 today.
    >
    > Also, the template for file name changes when saving from the camera to

    the
    > folders in ACDC, are very poor.


    I agree with this.
    There should be a capacity for simply adding a prefix to existing
    file-names...rather than replacing the whole original filename.
     
    Mark M, Sep 12, 2004
    #16
  17. Gadgets wrote:

    >
    >Check your options - 'use recycle bin' is there...


    oh, that is certainly very self explanatory!!! NOT!

    why not put a typical/standard icon with the counter clockwise green arrow in
    the icon header???

    THAT would be a hecksite more useful...

    fwiw
    --
    chas
    The new Canon DSLR elist. no trolls, etc
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canon-dslr/join

    ....
     
    schuetzen - RKBA!, Sep 12, 2004
    #17
  18. Gadgets wrote:

    >
    >Check your options - 'use recycle bin' is there...


    oh, that is certainly very self explanatory!!! NOT!

    why not put a typical/standard icon with the counter clockwise green arrow in
    the icon header???

    THAT would be a hecksite more useful...

    fwiw
    --
    chas
    The new Canon DSLR elist. no trolls, etc
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canon-dslr/join

    ....
     
    schuetzen - RKBA!, Sep 12, 2004
    #18
  19. John

    Guest

    On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 12:24:11 -0500, schuetzen - RKBA!
    <> wrote:

    >Gadgets wrote:
    >
    >>
    >>Check your options - 'use recycle bin' is there...

    >
    >oh, that is certainly very self explanatory!!! NOT!
    >
    >why not put a typical/standard icon with the counter clockwise green arrow in
    >the icon header???
    >
    >THAT would be a hecksite more useful...
    >
    >fwiw



    Recycle bin isn't much good if you are moving things around and
    accidentally relax a mouse finger and drop a picture in another folder
    on route to the correct one. It can take a lot of searching to find it
    again. And why should one have to resort to a recycle bin when even
    windows explorer has an undo delete/move etc?

    MJ
     
    , Sep 12, 2004
    #19
  20. wrote:

    > Recycle bin isn't much good if you are moving things around and
    > accidentally relax a mouse finger and drop a picture in another folder
    > on route to the correct one. It can take a lot of searching to find it
    > again. And why should one have to resort to a recycle bin when even
    > windows explorer has an undo delete/move etc?
    >
    > MJ


    This is a very good point - one that I'll be sure to forward to key
    people at ACD Systems. Thanks for everyone participating in this thread.

    --
    James Addison
    http://www.pjsoft.ca
     
    James Addison, Sep 12, 2004
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Arawak
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    973
    Arawak
    Aug 20, 2003
  2. Georges Preddivous

    Online Merchant Reviews Updated

    Georges Preddivous, Jul 21, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    514
  3. Madison Lapierre
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    534
  4. princess
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    903
    princess
    May 12, 2007
  5. princes
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    801
    princes
    May 12, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page