    release way before Vista so I just want a all around Photo and editor
    without paying a hundred dollars. I'm a beginner so I don't need anything
    professional.
    Richard, Mar 27, 2009

  2. Richard wrote:

    > I'm a beginner so I don't need anything professional.

    You could probably get by with the oft-recommended Irfanview.
    http://irfanview.com/ Free.

    If you find yourself beyond 'beginner' and want something more
    Photoshop-like, look at The Gimp. Also free.
    http://gimp.org/

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 27, 2009

  3. Richard

    Mike Easter Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > Many years ago I bought ACDsee 6.0 and I'm thinking about buying another
    > Photos manager.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_image_viewers This article
    presents a comparison of image viewers and image organizers which can be
    used for image viewing.

    41 apps characterized in 4 different tables for general characteristics,
    supported desktop environments, supported fileformats, and features --
    half of them are free, half of them are windows. That means in general
    that the other half aren't.

    If you figure out which acdsee6 functions you actually want, you'll be
    better able to choose something.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Mar 27, 2009
  4. Richard

    Ian Jackson Guest

    In message <gqj4p0$dhl$>, Beauregard T. Shagnasty
    <> writes
    >Richard wrote:
    >
    >> I'm a beginner so I don't need anything professional.

    >You could probably get by with the oft-recommended Irfanview.
    >http://irfanview.com/ Free.
    >
    >If you find yourself beyond 'beginner' and want something more
    >Photoshop-like, look at The Gimp. Also free.
    >http://gimp.org/

    I have ADCsee, Irfanview, and several others. I tried Picassa, but
    simply couldn't get the hang of some of the things it did.

    However, for almost all my photos, I use FastStone Image Viewer.
    http://www.faststone.org/

    [This is freeware, but donation is suggested. After using it for about
    three years, when my conscience eventually got the better of me, I
    donated, and they took $15 off me. This seemed to be a standard, fixed
    amount.]

    FastStone Image Viewer lacks Photoshop's 'clone' tool (and a lot of the
    other 'really clever' stuff). 'The Gimp' has many of these, but it seems
    much more complicated than FastStone, and I haven't really tried to use
    it much. FastStone is very easy to use, and is certainly worth a try.
    --
    Ian
    Ian Jackson, Mar 27, 2009
  5. Richard

    Ian Jackson Guest

    In message <>, Mike Easter
    <> writes
    >Richard wrote:
    >> Many years ago I bought ACDsee 6.0 and I'm thinking about buying another
    >> Photos manager.

    >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_image_viewers This article
    >presents a comparison of image viewers and image organizers which can be
    >used for image viewing.
    >
    >41 apps characterized in 4 different tables for general characteristics,
    >supported desktop environments, supported fileformats, and features --
    >half of them are free, half of them are windows. That means in general
    >that the other half aren't.
    >
    >If you figure out which acdsee6 functions you actually want, you'll be
    >better able to choose something.

    That's a very useful link. Thanks.
    --
    Ian
    Ian Jackson, Mar 27, 2009
  6. Richard

    Zo Guest

    Richard brought next idea :
    > Many years ago I bought ACDsee 6.0 and I'm thinking about buying another
    > Photos manager. ACDsee has so much stuff out there I'm not sure what to buy.
    > I figure they would have version 7,8 and so on but now they have all kinds of
    > crap and I'm not sure what to get. ver. 6 was good but of course it was
    > release way before Vista so I just want a all around Photo and editor without
    > paying a hundred dollars. I'm a beginner so I don't need anything
    > professional.

    I found this one not too long ago that's worth a look. I really like
    the speak/think bubbles feature that you can apply to your photos.

    Photoscape

    http://www.photoscape.org/ps/main/index.php

    --
    Zo
    "Caution Water On Road During Rain" -- A sign in Malaysia.
    Zo, Mar 28, 2009
  7. Richard

    Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote:

    >Many years ago I bought ACDsee 6.0 and I'm thinking about buying another
    >Photos manager. ACDsee has so much stuff out there I'm not sure what to buy.
    >I figure they would have version 7,8 and so on but now they have all kinds
    >of crap and I'm not sure what to get. ver. 6 was good but of course it was
    >release way before Vista so I just want a all around Photo and editor
    >without paying a hundred dollars. I'm a beginner so I don't need anything
    >professional.

    I use ACDsee 3.1 - it was the versions after that point that it
    started to go bloatware, you can see it happen here:
    http://www.oldversion.com/ACDSee.html

    ACDsee is my default graphic viewer...
    --

    Dynamite fishermen accidentally kill the world's most unlucky diver.
    http://www.cdnn.info/news/safety/s090324.html
  8. Richard

    thanatoid Guest

    wrote in

    For me, ver 2.22 was the last non-bloated non-pig.
    And the price those bastards charge for it (yes, I actually
    bought it)! Unbelievable.

    --
    "Who knows what the OP is talking about?"
    (about thanatoid)
    thanatoid, Mar 29, 2009