ACDSee 10 Photo Manager

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by BRH, Oct 11, 2007.

  1. BRH

    BRH Guest

    Just wondering whether anyone here is using ACDSee 10 Photo Manager.
    And, if so, what your experiences have been. I think that it's only
    recently been released (Version 10), so perhaps it's not being widely
    used yet.

    I downloaded the 30-day trial and, based upon a quick look, it seems
    pretty slick (although I can't compare it against previous versions). I
    particularly like the Photo Calendar view.

    I haven't tried tagging and cataloging yet, since I'm not sure yet
    whether I'll be buying it after the trial period expires. Can anyone
    comment on how useful the database functions are? I don't have a huge
    number of photos (yet) - the number is below 1000 at this point. How
    does it run after the datavase records (photos) number in the thousands?
    Any tips on how to tag/catalog efficiently?

    Any thoughts on this product (positive or negative) would be welcomed.

    Thanks.

    BRH, Oct 11, 2007

  2. BRH

    Paul Furman Guest

    BRH wrote:
    > Just wondering whether anyone here is using ACDSee 10 Photo Manager.
    > And, if so, what your experiences have been. I think that it's only
    > recently been released (Version 10), so perhaps it's not being widely
    > used yet.
    >
    > I downloaded the 30-day trial and, based upon a quick look, it seems
    > pretty slick (although I can't compare it against previous versions). I
    > particularly like the Photo Calendar view.
    >
    > I haven't tried tagging and cataloging yet, since I'm not sure yet
    > whether I'll be buying it after the trial period expires. Can anyone
    > comment on how useful the database functions are? I don't have a huge
    > number of photos (yet) - the number is below 1000 at this point. How
    > does it run after the datavase records (photos) number in the thousands?
    > Any tips on how to tag/catalog efficiently?

    ACD4's database (few years old version) gets corrupt above a certain
    size so I don't use if for annotation. I do use the program though, for
    browsing & culling & batch renaming new sort orders. My old version is
    quick & handy. I love that I can right-click & browse a folder & it
    opens fast.

    --
    Paul Furman Photography
    http://edgehill.net

    Paul Furman, Oct 13, 2007

  3. The company worked very hard on ACDSee Pro 2, they had a long beta period
    and for the most part listened to the feedback they got. I think it is the
    best version they have released. But, we are talking about the Pro 2 version
    and not the cheaper standard version.

    One thing I still don't like is the photo editor that they include with it.
    They have a much better one that they sell seperatly. However, I will not
    buy it as I feel it should have been included with the Pro 2 program.

    For image cataloging and editing I use Lightroom. It isn't perfect (far from
    it) but it is one of the best workflows I have seen. I can process 1500
    shots in a very short period of time and since I tend to shoot 1500 during a
    day trip and I shoot RAW it is nice being able to get through the quickly.

    Psynosis

    Psygnosis - Silent Running, Oct 14, 2007
  4. BRH

    Paul Furman Guest

    Psygnosis - Silent Running wrote:

    > The company worked very hard on ACDSee Pro 2, they had a long beta
    > period and for the most part listened to the feedback they got. I think
    > it is the best version they have released. But, we are talking about the
    > Pro 2 version and not the cheaper standard version.
    >
    > One thing I still don't like is the photo editor that they include with
    > it. They have a much better one that they sell seperatly. However, I
    > will not buy it as I feel it should have been included with the Pro 2
    > program.
    >
    > For image cataloging and editing I use Lightroom. It isn't perfect (far
    > from it) but it is one of the best workflows I have seen. I can process
    > 1500 shots in a very short period of time and since I tend to shoot 1500
    > during a day trip and I shoot RAW it is nice being able to get through
    > the quickly.

    Sounds good, I should take a look at Lightroom. Culling & sorting is a
    big deal for me too, that's why I sometimes use ACDsee still.. because
    it'll do some particular thing.

    PS On another topic, I hesitate to put my annotation in a proprietary
    system so I just keep annotation in text files with matching names. I
    suppose I should commit to a real database though. I'm just really stuck
    on file folder names doing most of the organizing.

    --
    Paul Furman Photography
    http://edgehill.net

    Paul Furman, Oct 14, 2007
  5. BRH

    BRH Guest

    Paul Furman wrote:

    > Psygnosis - Silent Running wrote:
    >
    >> The company worked very hard on ACDSee Pro 2, they had a long beta
    >> period and for the most part listened to the feedback they got. I
    >> think it is the best version they have released. But, we are talking
    >> about the Pro 2 version and not the cheaper standard version.
    >>
    >> One thing I still don't like is the photo editor that they include
    >> with it. They have a much better one that they sell seperatly.
    >> However, I will not buy it as I feel it should have been included with
    >> the Pro 2 program.
    >>
    >> For image cataloging and editing I use Lightroom. It isn't perfect
    >> (far from it) but it is one of the best workflows I have seen. I can
    >> process 1500 shots in a very short period of time and since I tend to
    >> shoot 1500 during a day trip and I shoot RAW it is nice being able to
    >> get through the quickly.

    > Sounds good, I should take a look at Lightroom. Culling & sorting is a
    > big deal for me too, that's why I sometimes use ACDsee still.. because
    > it'll do some particular thing.
    >
    > PS On another topic, I hesitate to put my annotation in a proprietary
    > system so I just keep annotation in text files with matching names. I
    > suppose I should commit to a real database though. I'm just really stuck
    > on file folder names doing most of the organizing.

    Thanks to you both for your replies. Since I already have CaptureNX for
    processing my Raw images, I don't want to make the investment into
    Lightroom or (probably) ACDSeePro 2.

    The main thing I'm looking for is efficiency in tagging/cataloging and
    displaying images because the browswer feature in Capture NX and the
    View NX don't seem to cut it for me.

    Paul - Would you know was ACDSEE Pro offers in those areas that ACDSee
    10 Photo Manager doesn't?

    Thanks again!

    BRH, Oct 14, 2007
  6. BRH wrote:
    > Paul Furman wrote:
    >
    >> Psygnosis - Silent Running wrote:
    >>
    >>> The company worked very hard on ACDSee Pro 2, they had a long beta
    >>> period and for the most part listened to the feedback they got. I
    >>> think it is the best version they have released. But, we are talking
    >>> about the Pro 2 version and not the cheaper standard version.
    >>>
    >>> One thing I still don't like is the photo editor that they include
    >>> with it. They have a much better one that they sell seperatly.
    >>> However, I will not buy it as I feel it should have been included
    >>> with the Pro 2 program.
    >>>
    >>> For image cataloging and editing I use Lightroom. It isn't perfect
    >>> (far from it) but it is one of the best workflows I have seen. I can
    >>> process 1500 shots in a very short period of time and since I tend to
    >>> shoot 1500 during a day trip and I shoot RAW it is nice being able to
    >>> get through the quickly.

    >> Sounds good, I should take a look at Lightroom. Culling & sorting is a
    >> big deal for me too, that's why I sometimes use ACDsee still.. because
    >> it'll do some particular thing.
    >>
    >> PS On another topic, I hesitate to put my annotation in a proprietary
    >> system so I just keep annotation in text files with matching names. I
    >> suppose I should commit to a real database though. I'm just really
    >> stuck on file folder names doing most of the organizing.
    >>

    > Thanks to you both for your replies. Since I already have CaptureNX for
    > processing my Raw images, I don't want to make the investment into
    > Lightroom or (probably) ACDSeePro 2.
    >
    > The main thing I'm looking for is efficiency in tagging/cataloging and
    > displaying images because the browswer feature in Capture NX and the
    > View NX don't seem to cut it for me.

    If you are just interested in a photo browser (and not RAW file
    converter), there's none better than Photo Mechanic by CameraBits.
    Highly recommended.

    http://www.camerabits.com/pages/PM4.html

    - Peter

    Peter Lawrence, Oct 18, 2007