accounting software - web based maybe

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Andrew, Dec 9, 2003.

  1. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    im currently using MYOB accounting software, But i have reached the need to
    have multi user support (over a network) - 2 users accessing the data file
    at the same time, Ive spoken with MYOB and to do this i need to upgrade my
    Version 12 to accounting plus version 6 - however this will cost me over
    $1000 - which is quite alot - considering my version only costed $300 odd

    So, im looking for a new solution, Web based would be nice

    Does anyone know of any Open source small business accounting packages
    available? - or maybe a package from another vendor, ive looked at Quicken -
    but didnt really like it

    Features required:
    invoicing clients
    entering supplier invoices
    Email support - emailing invoices (this is a must)
    GST/Tax support

    MYOB is pretty good, but if there is a better solution i wouldnt mind trying
    it out

    Any comments appreciated - Except silly ones!

    Cheers
    Andrew

    Andrew, Dec 9, 2003

  2. Andrew

    sal Guest

    On Tue, 9 Dec 2003 21:09:54 +1300, "Andrew" <>
    wrote:

    >im currently using MYOB accounting software, But i have reached the need to
    >have multi user support (over a network) - 2 users accessing the data file
    >at the same time, Ive spoken with MYOB and to do this i need to upgrade my
    >Version 12 to accounting plus version 6 - however this will cost me over
    >$1000 - which is quite alot - considering my version only costed $300 odd
    >
    >So, im looking for a new solution, Web based would be nice
    >
    >Does anyone know of any Open source small business accounting packages
    >available? - or maybe a package from another vendor, ive looked at Quicken -
    >but didnt really like it
    >
    >Features required:
    >invoicing clients
    >entering supplier invoices
    >Email support - emailing invoices (this is a must)
    >GST/Tax support
    >
    >MYOB is pretty good, but if there is a better solution i wouldnt mind trying
    >it out
    >
    >Any comments appreciated - Except silly ones!
    >
    >Cheers
    >Andrew

    Modernbill ?

    sal, Dec 9, 2003

  3. On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 21:09:54 +1300, Andrew wrote:

    > im currently using MYOB accounting software, But i have reached the need to
    > have multi user support (over a network) - 2 users accessing the data file
    > at the same time, Ive spoken with MYOB and to do this i need to upgrade my
    > Version 12 to accounting plus version 6 - however this will cost me over
    > $1000 - which is quite alot - considering my version only costed $300 odd

    All the Multiuser stuff is around this price.

    Look at Quickbooks Pro 5 user. It's worth it, but is about $1100 IIRC.

    > Does anyone know of any Open source small business accounting packages
    > available? - or maybe a package from another vendor, ive looked at Quicken -
    > but didnt really like it

    Gnucash - a Quicken workalike. Look on Freshmeat.net for others.

    > MYOB is pretty good, but if there is a better solution i wouldnt mind trying
    > it out

    We found Quickbooks was better and produces output which our accountant
    could import for audits (cost reductions!)
    MYOB ran out of steam at about 1000 clients which wasn't helpful.

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Dec 9, 2003
  4. Andrew

    Matt B Guest

    In news:_qfBb.12170$,
    Andrew <> said:
    > im currently using MYOB accounting software, But i have reached the
    > need to have multi user support (over a network) - 2 users accessing
    > the data file at the same time, Ive spoken with MYOB and to do this i
    > need to upgrade my Version 12 to accounting plus version 6 - however
    > this will cost me over $1000 - which is quite alot - considering my
    > version only costed $300 odd
    >
    > So, im looking for a new solution, Web based would be nice
    >
    > Does anyone know of any Open source small business accounting packages
    > available? - or maybe a package from another vendor, ive looked at
    > Quicken - but didnt really like it
    >
    > Features required:
    > invoicing clients
    > entering supplier invoices
    > Email support - emailing invoices (this is a must)
    > GST/Tax support
    >
    > MYOB is pretty good, but if there is a better solution i wouldnt mind
    > trying it out
    >
    > Any comments appreciated - Except silly ones!

    Moneyworks - www.cognito.co.nz

    Oh, and "floogle"
    (Couldn't resist)
    --
    Regards,

    Matt B
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people.
    Those who get binary...
    And those who don't.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Matt B, Dec 9, 2003
  5. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    > > MYOB is pretty good, but if there is a better solution i wouldnt mind
    > > trying it out
    > >
    > > Any comments appreciated - Except silly ones!

    > Moneyworks - www.cognito.co.nz
    >
    > Oh, and "floogle"
    > (Couldn't resist)
    > --

    Looks good - but cost the same as myob - so prob should just stick with it

    Andrew, Dec 10, 2003
  6. Andrew

    Matt B Guest

    In news:gZvBb.12313$,
    Andrew <> said:
    >>> MYOB is pretty good, but if there is a better solution i wouldnt
    >>> mind trying it out
    >>>
    >>> Any comments appreciated - Except silly ones!

    >> Moneyworks - www.cognito.co.nz
    >>
    >> Oh, and "floogle"
    >> (Couldn't resist)
    >> --

    > Looks good - but cost the same as myob - so prob should just stick
    > with it

    trust me - it's well worth a look, try the demo

    --
    Regards,

    Matt B
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people.
    Those who get binary...
    And those who don't.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Matt B, Dec 10, 2003
  7. Andrew

    Mike Dee Guest

    "Andrew" <> wrote in

    > Does anyone know of any Open source small business accounting packages
    > available?

    Open source? GnuCash perhaps?
    <http://www.au.gnucash.org/>

    Mike Dee, Dec 10, 2003
  8. Andrew

    me here Guest

    Andrew wrote:
    > im currently using MYOB accounting software, But i have reached the need to
    > have multi user support (over a network) - 2 users accessing the data file
    > at the same time, Ive spoken with MYOB and to do this i need to upgrade my
    > Version 12 to accounting plus version 6 - however this will cost me over
    > $1000 - which is quite alot - considering my version only costed $300 odd
    >
    > So, im looking for a new solution, Web based would be nice
    >
    > Does anyone know of any Open source small business accounting packages
    > available? - or maybe a package from another vendor, ive looked at Quicken -
    > but didnt really like it
    >
    > Features required:
    > invoicing clients
    > entering supplier invoices
    > Email support - emailing invoices (this is a must)
    > GST/Tax support
    >
    > MYOB is pretty good, but if there is a better solution i wouldnt mind trying
    > it out
    >
    > Any comments appreciated - Except silly ones!
    >
    > Cheers
    > Andrew

    Have a look at SQL Ledger (www.sql-ledger.org)

    Web based and seems well recommended but I have never used it.

    Gavin

    me here, Dec 10, 2003
  9. me here wrote:

    > Andrew wrote:
    >
    >> im currently using MYOB accounting software, But i have reached the
    >> need to
    >> have multi user support (over a network) - 2 users accessing the data
    >> file
    >> at the same time, Ive spoken with MYOB and to do this i need to
    >> upgrade my
    >> Version 12 to accounting plus version 6 - however this will cost me over
    >> $1000 - which is quite alot - considering my version only costed $300 odd
    >>
    >> So, im looking for a new solution, Web based would be nice
    >>
    >> Does anyone know of any Open source small business accounting packages
    >> available? - or maybe a package from another vendor, ive looked at
    >> Quicken -
    >> but didnt really like it
    >>
    >> Features required:
    >> invoicing clients
    >> entering supplier invoices
    >> Email support - emailing invoices (this is a must)
    >> GST/Tax support
    >>
    >> MYOB is pretty good, but if there is a better solution i wouldnt mind
    >> trying
    >> it out
    >>
    >> Any comments appreciated - Except silly ones!
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >> Andrew
    >>

    > Have a look at SQL Ledger (www.sql-ledger.org)
    >
    > Web based and seems well recommended but I have never used it.
    >

    > Gavin

    I would 2nd this suggestion and do use it.

    William Hamilton, Dec 11, 2003