accesss denied on downstairs computer. what is node type "hybrid"

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?S3VlMg==?=, Jun 30, 2005.

  1. Please explain what hybrid is & how adding it to the registry will enable
    access.
    These are the instructions I was told to follow to get my access back.

    1- Open dos prompt, type ipconfig -all.
    2- Look at the 'Node Type' it probably says Peer-Peer or something (this is
    what mine said)
    .... we want it to say 'Hybrid'
    3- Press 'Start' button > Run... > In the box type regedit. This opens your
    system's registry.
    4- Navigate the tree to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services/NetBT/Parameters
    5- Rt. mouse click and select New > DWORD Value
    6- Name it 'NodeType' (without the quotes)
    7- Rt. mouse click on it and select Modify
    8- Set Value Data to '8' (no quotes)
    9- Leave Base alone. 'Hexadecimal' should be selected
    10- Press 'ok'
    11- Close regedit and reboot. (Your done!)
    12- Open dos prompt and type ipconfig -all
    For node type it should now say 'Hybrid'
    13- Do this to the other computer that you cannot network. Your computers
    should be able to see one another.
    ----------
    I do not know what 'Hybrid' is, but perhaps some of the network guys might
    be able to explain. I have used this on two different occasions and it seems
    to be the only thing that works.
    SYMPTOMS
    When users try to access shared folders, they may receive the following
    error message:
    Access denied. You might not have perrmission to access this network
    resource.

    anyone ??? thanks in advance
    =?Utf-8?B?S3VlMg==?=, Jun 30, 2005

  2. The NodeType parameter determines the sources and order from which NetBT
    attempts to resolve names. Peer-Peer probably indicates P Node, and this
    will not work for you unless you have a WINS server on your network. For
    most workgroup environments, either B node or H node are the best choices.
    See:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;160177

    Doug sherman
    MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP