    Alt-Fn-0233 doesn't work.

    Any ideas how I can achieve the same results as on my desktop?

    TIA

    Trent SC, Sep 24, 2005

  2. Trent SC

    Mitch Guest

    In article <43354a14$0$15059$>,
    Trent SC <> wrote:

    > I can use lesser-known characters (accents, umlauts etc) on my desktop's
    > keyboard by using the keypad on the right and typing Alt-0233 for é and so
    > on, but my laptop has no separate number pad, allowing access using the blue
    > Fn key, which I think is common for many lappies. However, pressing
    > Alt-Fn-0233 doesn't work.
    >
    > Any ideas how I can achieve the same results as on my desktop?

    Not clear which bumbers you are using here.
    First, try it with the number keys. That would mean no Function key,
    and not the secondary number keypad set. Just the regular number keys
    that have always been at the top.

    Mitch, Sep 24, 2005

  3. Trent SC

    trout Guest

    Trent SC wrote:

    > I can use lesser-known characters (accents, umlauts etc) on my
    > desktop's keyboard by using the keypad on the right and typing
    > Alt-0233 for é and so on, but my laptop has no separate number pad,
    > allowing access using the blue Fn key, which I think is common for
    > many lappies. However, pressing Alt-Fn-0233 doesn't work.
    >
    > Any ideas how I can achieve the same results as on my desktop?
    >
    > TIA

    Do you mean a keyboard combination, only (as opposed to using a
    charmap)?
    --
    Or just getting the characters?

    trout, Sep 24, 2005
  4. Trent SC

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 13:43:32 +0100, Trent SC wrote:

    >I can use lesser-known characters (accents, umlauts etc) on my desktop's
    >keyboard by using the keypad on the right and typing Alt-0233 for é and so
    >on, but my laptop has no separate number pad, allowing access using the blue

    Buy,
    http://www.pdatoday.com/maximumpda_more/554_0_2_0_M25/

    >Fn key, which I think is common for many lappies. However, pressing
    >Alt-Fn-0233 doesn't work.

    That's after doing Fn-Num Lock to turn the numbers on first?

    >Any ideas how I can achieve the same results as on my desktop?

    You mean on the laptop?

    Windows 2000 (if that's what you are using)

    Start / Programs / Accessories / System Tools / Character Map

    or for several versions of Windows

    Start / Run / charmap / OK

    Me

    why?, Sep 24, 2005
  5. Trent SC

    Trax Guest

    "Trent SC" <> wrote:

    |>I can use lesser-known characters (accents, umlauts etc) on my desktop's
    |>keyboard by using the keypad on the right and typing Alt-0233 for é and so
    |>on, but my laptop has no separate number pad, allowing access using the blue
    |>Fn key, which I think is common for many lappies. However, pressing
    |>Alt-Fn-0233 doesn't work.
    |>
    |>Any ideas how I can achieve the same results as on my desktop?

    You could use PowerPro http://powerpro.webeddie.com/

    After setting it up you could have a menu bar popup when the
    application(s) that need this is run. And press the appropriate
    bar/menu/area to get the character.

    You could even get fancy and make an L or other shapes with your mouse
    (mouse actions) to print characters.

    Or you could google for: keyboard macro

    --
    pournography
    http://www.liquidsculpture.com/

    Trax, Sep 25, 2005
  6. Trent SC

    Trent SC Guest

    >>I can use lesser-known characters (accents, umlauts etc) on my desktop's
    >>keyboard by using the keypad on the right and typing Alt-0233 for é and so
    >>on, but my laptop has no separate number pad, allowing access using the
    >>blue

    > Buy,
    > http://www.pdatoday.com/maximumpda_more/554_0_2_0_M25/
    >
    >>Fn key, which I think is common for many lappies. However, pressing
    >>Alt-Fn-0233 doesn't work.

    > That's after doing Fn-Num Lock to turn the numbers on first?

    Ah. Got it, thanks.

    Trent SC, Sep 26, 2005