    use Regedit that now accesses my XP registry, which is not what I want.
    How can I access the registry from my OLD O/S?
    WC

    WCH, May 19, 2006

  2. WCH

    Meat Plow Guest

    http://www.argentuma.com/backup/registry-backup.html

    Meat Plow, May 19, 2006

  3. WCH

    WCH Guest

    Meat Plow wrote:
    > On Fri, 19 May 2006 07:14:07 -0400, WCH wrote:
    >
    >> I had a complete O/S failure of my old Windows 2000 Pro. Long story.
    >> Pulled the hard drive with W2k on it, got a new hard drive, installed XP
    >> Pro. Good so far. Attached the older hard drive as a slave so I could
    >> access my data (after all kinds of a/v checks, which came out OK). The
    >> drive appears to be intact and the data accessible. Here's my issue -- a
    >> few of my apps, MS Frontpage 2000 for instance, require a CD key for
    >> reinstallation. I have the CDs but no longer have the key, wherever it
    >> was originally. I assume the information I want is in the registry from
    >> my W2k installation but I don't know how to find and access it. If I use
    >> Regedit that now accesses my XP registry, which is not what I want.
    >> How can I access the registry from my OLD O/S?

    > http://www.argentuma.com/backup/registry-backup.html

    That article helped me FIND the old registry files (at least I think it
    did) but it didn't tell me how to OPEN or READ the files (which is why I
    don't know for sure that "ntuser.dat" is the file I'm looking for. How
    can I open and read ntuser.dat? I tried finding the file, clicking Open
    With and then selecting regedit.exe but that command only offers to add
    the registry values to my XP registry, which is NOT what I want.

    WCH, May 19, 2006
  4. WCH

    dadiOH Guest

    WCH wrote:
    > I had a complete O/S failure of my old Windows 2000 Pro. Long story.
    > Pulled the hard drive with W2k on it, got a new hard drive, installed
    > XP Pro. Good so far. Attached the older hard drive as a slave so I
    > could access my data (after all kinds of a/v checks, which came out
    > OK). The drive appears to be intact and the data accessible. Here's
    > my issue -- a few of my apps, MS Frontpage 2000 for instance, require
    > a CD key for reinstallation. I have the CDs but no longer have the
    > key, wherever it was originally. I assume the information I want is
    > in the registry from my W2k installation but I don't know how to find
    > and access it. If I use Regedit that now accesses my XP registry,
    > which is not what I want. How can I access the registry from my OLD
    > O/S?
    > WC

    This might help you...
    http://www.mcse.ms/archive54-2005-5-1598274.html

    --

    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    dadiOH, May 19, 2006
  5. WCH

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Fri, 19 May 2006 09:05:47 -0400, WCH wrote:

    > Meat Plow wrote:
    >> On Fri, 19 May 2006 07:14:07 -0400, WCH wrote:
    >>
    >>> I had a complete O/S failure of my old Windows 2000 Pro. Long story.
    >>> Pulled the hard drive with W2k on it, got a new hard drive, installed
    >>> XP Pro. Good so far. Attached the older hard drive as a slave so I
    >>> could access my data (after all kinds of a/v checks, which came out
    >>> OK). The drive appears to be intact and the data accessible. Here's
    >>> my issue -- a few of my apps, MS Frontpage 2000 for instance, require a
    >>> CD key for reinstallation. I have the CDs but no longer have the key,
    >>> wherever it was originally. I assume the information I want is in the
    >>> registry from my W2k installation but I don't know how to find and
    >>> access it. If I use Regedit that now accesses my XP registry, which is
    >>> not what I want.
    >>> How can I access the registry from my OLD O/S?

    >> http://www.argentuma.com/backup/registry-backup.html

    > That article helped me FIND the old registry files (at least I think it
    > did) but it didn't tell me how to OPEN or READ the files (which is why I
    > don't know for sure that "ntuser.dat" is the file I'm looking for. How
    > can I open and read ntuser.dat? I tried finding the file, clicking Open
    > With and then selecting regedit.exe but that command only offers to add
    > the registry values to my XP registry, which is NOT what I want.

    Not sure, Google the fucker for yourself.

    Meat Plow, May 19, 2006
  6. WCH

    Trax Guest

    WCH <> wrote:

    |>I had a complete O/S failure of my old Windows 2000 Pro. Long story.
    |>Pulled the hard drive with W2k on it, got a new hard drive, installed XP
    |>Pro. Good so far. Attached the older hard drive as a slave so I could
    |>access my data (after all kinds of a/v checks, which came out OK). The
    |>drive appears to be intact and the data accessible. Here's my issue --
    |>a few of my apps, MS Frontpage 2000 for instance, require a CD key for
    |>reinstallation. I have the CDs but no longer have the key, wherever it
    |>was originally. I assume the information I want is in the registry from
    |>my W2k installation but I don't know how to find and access it. If I
    |>use Regedit that now accesses my XP registry, which is not what I want.
    |> How can I access the registry from my OLD O/S?
    |>WC

    Forget where it's located for the W2K but when you first install your
    OS a copy is made of the registry XP path WINDOWS\repair, while this
    won't if you've never done a system backup (it also updates that
    directory).

    XP dir (registry directory) WINDOWS\system32\config
    will have old backups of the registry. They are the files that end in
    ..BAK if your lucky they will be of a time you can retrieve your info.

    I:E: from an outside source (LiveCD) rename SYSTEM to .OLD and
    SYSTEM.BAK to SYSTEM

    --
    Music videos http://www.milinkito.com/los80.php
    Someone did all the work, so you don't have to :)

    Trax, May 19, 2006
  7. WCH

    Trax Guest

    Trax, May 19, 2006
  8. Have you figured out how to do this? If not, let me know and I'll give you my
    suggestion.

    Moe

    =?Windows-1252?B?1L/UIE13cw==?=, May 20, 2006