    brad

    Laptop OS: Windows XP
    Wireless Router at Home: Linksys

    brad, Nov 19, 2005

  2. brad

    why? Guest

    On 19 Nov 2005 07:29:16 -0800, brad wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I have a wireless network at home but am unable to connect to the
    >office network. However, last week I was at a hotel which had a
    >wireless network and I had no problem connecting.
    >
    >Any suggestions ?

    With such little amount of info, and flat batteries for the crystal
    ball the answer would have to be - by magic.

    Ask your IT department at work, would be the obvious answer.

    >Thanks.
    >
    >brad
    >
    >Laptop OS: Windows XP
    >Wireless Router at Home: Linksys

    Me

    why?, Nov 19, 2005

  3. brad

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2005-11-19, brad <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a wireless network at home but am unable to connect to the
    > office network. However, last week I was at a hotel which had a
    > wireless network and I had no problem connecting.
    >
    > Any suggestions ?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > brad
    >
    > Laptop OS: Windows XP
    > Wireless Router at Home: Linksys

    Could it possibly be that the hotel want to provide a service to their
    guests and so deliberatey provide wireless network access, whereas your
    employer deliberately stops all unauthorised access to what is presumably
    a private and 'mission critical' LAN?

    Of course, the hotel's network could have been wide open just because
    whoever set it up doesn't know what they're doing.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Nov 19, 2005
  4. brad

    Mitch Guest

    In article <>,
    brad <> wrote:

    > I have a wireless network at home but am unable to connect to the
    > office network. However, last week I was at a hotel which had a
    > wireless network and I had no problem connecting.
    >
    > Any suggestions ?

    If you are talking about three different wireless systems:
    At home, you probably didn't set up restricted access -- or when you
    did, you entered the settings that gave you access. Right?
    At the hotel, they want their customers to have access, so they
    wouldn't restrict access either.
    But why would they leave it open at work? Obviously, a company would
    want to keep their network private and secure. You probably need a
    password and/or account -- and you have to ask the people that manage
    the network.

    If you mean you want to connect to the network at work while you are AT
    HOME:
    Well, you told us how you connect at home (which doesn't make any
    difference), but you didn't tell us ANYTHING about the system you are
    trying to use -- the work one. You didn't say what kinds of settings or
    protocols you are using, what programs, or what went wrong.

    Give us a clue -- what program were you using to connect to the network
    at work?

    Mitch, Nov 20, 2005
  5. brad

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "brad" <> wrote in news:1132414156.756244.116780
    @g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a wireless network at home but am unable to connect to the
    > office network. However, last week I was at a hotel which had a
    > wireless network and I had no problem connecting.
    >
    > Any suggestions ?

    You even know about the information in the below link? Most likely the
    hotel you were at didn't have a FW or a NAT router setting there or the
    FW or router were configured to allow/open the inbound ports to traffic
    the application on your machine needed open.

    http://www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/port-forwarding-dmz.asp

    As opposed to you not knowing the above and that you must port forward
    the inbound ports on the router so that your connection application
    running on the machine can communicate.

    You should keep the machine out of the DMZ

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Nov 20, 2005