    access these newsgroups. I know I can go through Google Groups. But, is that
    the best way???

    Mel

    MB, Sep 23, 2003

  2. MB

    Boomer Guest

    MB said:

    > Got a question. I got my new DELL system. I have also been
    > thinking about scrapping my dial-up and going to a cable modem
    > via Charter Communications.
    >
    > Currently, I use Prodigy and they have a very nice newserver.
    >
    > If I go with Charter (they say they don't have a newserver), how
    > can I access these newsgroups. I know I can go through Google
    > Groups. But, is that the best way???
    >
    > Mel

    Hi

    If you just want text groups this server is free and great retention.

    News.Individual.NET
    http://news.individual.net/

    If you want to read about more servers you can read through these
    groups.
    alt.binaries.news-server-comparison
    alt.free.newsservers

    Boomer, Sep 23, 2003

  3. MB

    Richard Guest

    MB wrote:

    > Got a question. I got my new DELL system. I have also been thinking
    > about
    > scrapping my dial-up and going to a cable modem via Charter
    > Communications.

    > Currently, I use Prodigy and they have a very nice newserver.

    > If I go with Charter (they say they don't have a newserver), how can I
    > access these newsgroups. I know I can go through Google Groups. But,
    > is that
    > the best way???

    > Mel

    Somebody told you wrong then. Charter outsources through supernews.
    The server name for charter is news.charter.new and your headers would show
    corp.supernews.com.
    I am with charter and love it. Now if you want another source of news, try
    www.newsguy.com
    Pay by the year and save a bundle.
    www.ultrafeed.com is expensive but they carry all groups and have no
    bandwidth limits.
    www.supernews.com good service but filter a ton of stuff so bad it slows the
    system sometimes.
    Dozens of other services but many don't provide quality service as they
    should.

    Richard, Sep 23, 2003
  4. MB wrote:

    > Got a question. I got my new DELL system. I have also been thinking about
    > scrapping my dial-up and going to a cable modem via Charter Communications.

    > Currently, I use Prodigy and they have a very nice newserver.

    > If I go with Charter (they say they don't have a newserver), how can I
    > access these newsgroups. I know I can go through Google Groups. But, is that
    > the best way???

    No. It's the worst way. It's an archive, so it's slow to get posts, and the
    web interface is clunky.

    I've been using http://newsguy.com for years. $39.xx a year, and you
    also get 50MB of ad-free webspace, and a couple of POP mailboxes.
    There's also web access for the email and news feed. Larger packages, hosting,
    access, etc. available. Extremely reliable. Good value. I'm just a
    subscriber -- no affiliation.

    --
    Blinky Linux RU 297263
    Nixon's secretary now at MS? http://snurl.com/rosemary