    the same. Please give a specific example. I am a novice in this
    field. Please do not mind my ignorance.

    A S Narang

    asnarang.chd, Mar 19, 2007

  2. asnarang.chd

    Mike Easter Guest

    asnarang.chd wrote:
    Subject: Accessing newsgroups through e-mail.

    We aren't going to talk about accessing nntp news thru' email at this
    time. Maybe later.

    > I am using Microsoft Outlook 2003 for accessing my e-mails.

    OL is a MAPI messaging client for the MS Office suite which has a number
    of useful functions in that context including email, but does not
    natively perform as a newsagent. Almost all OL users use a different MS
    application for that purpose, OE Outlook Express, which has a similar
    name and can also be used for email, but is not a MAPI client like OL
    and /can/ be used as a newsagent.

    > Can I use
    > Microsoft Outllook to access the newsgroups and post questions to the
    > newsgroups.

    The basic answer is no. The more complicated answer is 'not natively'.
    The really complicated answer is 'Yes, but....'

    There is such a thing as a MAPI add-on for OL called NewsHound which
    enables one to interact in newsgroup activities in OL. I don't know of
    anyone who uses NewsHound.

    The best way for you to start is to use OE to access newsgroups.

    First you should find a nntp newsserver. Then you should use OE to
    create a news account for that newsserver. Then you should start using
    OE and the newsserver instead of GG googlegroups and not use OL for
    newsing at all.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Mar 19, 2007

  3. asnarang.chd

    Demolitio Guest

    asnarang.chd wrote:
    > I am using Microsoft Outlook 2003 for accessing my e-mails. Can I use
    > Microsoft Outllook to access the newsgroups and post questions to the
    > newsgroups. Please let me know how can I configure the account for
    > the same. Please give a specific example. I am a novice in this
    > field. Please do not mind my ignorance.
    >
    > A S Narang

    well, i can't give you that much information, as newsgroup settings
    differ depending on who your provider is, but you can easily set up your
    newsreader withing outlook express by clicking on the "tools" option
    located at the top of the window, and from there, clicking on
    "accounts".Click on "add-> news" then follow the step-by-step
    instructions you see on the screen.

    good luck :~)

    Demolitio, Mar 19, 2007
  4. asnarang.chd

    Demolitio Guest

    Demolitio wrote:
    > asnarang.chd wrote:
    >> I am using Microsoft Outlook 2003 for accessing my e-mails. Can I use
    >> Microsoft Outllook to access the newsgroups and post questions to the
    >> newsgroups. Please let me know how can I configure the account for
    >> the same. Please give a specific example. I am a novice in this
    >> field. Please do not mind my ignorance.
    >>
    >> A S Narang
    >>

    > well, i can't give you that much information, as newsgroup settings
    > differ depending on who your provider is, but you can easily set up your
    > newsreader withing outlook express by clicking on the "tools" option
    > located at the top of the window, and from there, clicking on
    > "accounts".Click on "add-> news" then follow the step-by-step
    > instructions you see on the screen.
    >
    > good luck :~)

    sorry, my instructions apply to Outlook express only. I desperatly need
    a coffee.

    Demolitio, Mar 19, 2007
  5. asnarang.chd

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-03-19, asnarang.chd <> wrote:
    > I am using Microsoft Outlook 2003 for accessing my e-mails. Can I use
    > Microsoft Outllook to access the newsgroups and post questions to the
    > newsgroups. Please let me know how can I configure the account for
    > the same. Please give a specific example. I am a novice in this
    > field. Please do not mind my ignorance.
    >
    > A S Narang

    You cannot use Outlook for accessing usenet; use Outlook Express instead
    (which is the program you'll get if you have a 'newsgroups' menu item in
    Outlook, anyway).

    You seem to be accessing the internet using an ISP account with
    <http://www.sancharnet.in/>, and I can't find anything on their website
    about a news-server, so presumably they are among the ISPs who have chosen
    not to provide one. You will therefore have to sign up with one of the
    public news-servers instead; a web search will produce links to several.
    I can recommend the one I use, which you can read about here
    <http://www.individual.net/>. There are instructions on their website for
    setting up some of the popular news-reader programs for use with their
    service.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Mar 19, 2007
  6. asnarang.chd

    Demolitio Guest

    Whiskers wrote:
    > On 2007-03-19, asnarang.chd <> wrote:
    >> I am using Microsoft Outlook 2003 for accessing my e-mails. Can I use
    >> Microsoft Outllook to access the newsgroups and post questions to the
    >> newsgroups. Please let me know how can I configure the account for
    >> the same. Please give a specific example. I am a novice in this
    >> field. Please do not mind my ignorance.
    >>
    >> A S Narang

    > You cannot use Outlook for accessing usenet; use Outlook Express instead
    > (which is the program you'll get if you have a 'newsgroups' menu item in
    > Outlook, anyway).
    >
    > You seem to be accessing the internet using an ISP account with
    > <http://www.sancharnet.in/>, and I can't find anything on their website
    > about a news-server, so presumably they are among the ISPs who have chosen
    > not to provide one. You will therefore have to sign up with one of the
    > public news-servers instead; a web search will produce links to several.
    > I can recommend the one I use, which you can read about here
    > <http://www.individual.net/>. There are instructions on their website for
    > setting up some of the popular news-reader programs for use with their
    > service.

    forgive me for asking a stupid question, but why not just sign up with
    google groups for free, instead? I would be using them anywyas if my ISP
    wasnt providing the servers. i dont mind browser-based usenet.

    Demolitio, Mar 19, 2007
  7. asnarang.chd

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-03-19, Demolitio <> wrote:
    > Whiskers wrote:
    >> On 2007-03-19, asnarang.chd <> wrote:
    >>> I am using Microsoft Outlook 2003 for accessing my e-mails. Can I use
    >>> Microsoft Outllook to access the newsgroups and post questions to the
    >>> newsgroups. Please let me know how can I configure the account for
    >>> the same. Please give a specific example. I am a novice in this
    >>> field. Please do not mind my ignorance.
    >>>
    >>> A S Narang

    >> You cannot use Outlook for accessing usenet; use Outlook Express instead
    >> (which is the program you'll get if you have a 'newsgroups' menu item in
    >> Outlook, anyway).
    >>
    >> You seem to be accessing the internet using an ISP account with
    >> <http://www.sancharnet.in/>, and I can't find anything on their website
    >> about a news-server, so presumably they are among the ISPs who have chosen
    >> not to provide one. You will therefore have to sign up with one of the
    >> public news-servers instead; a web search will produce links to several.
    >> I can recommend the one I use, which you can read about here
    >> <http://www.individual.net/>. There are instructions on their website for
    >> setting up some of the popular news-reader programs for use with their
    >> service.
    >>

    > forgive me for asking a stupid question, but why not just sign up with
    > google groups for free, instead? I would be using them anywyas if my ISP
    > wasnt providing the servers. i dont mind browser-based usenet.

    Asnarang.chd used Google Groups to post the question; so not much point
    mentioning that as an option.

    Beats me how anyone can cope with usenet newsgroups via the Google web
    forum interface; the current version is somewhat better than the previous
    one, but it's still horrible compared with any but the most limited real
    newsreader programs.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Mar 19, 2007
  8. asnarang.chd

    Mike Easter Guest

    Whiskers wrote:

    > Beats me how anyone can cope with usenet newsgroups via the Google web
    > forum interface;

    I think that some people can't imagine that something can happen without
    a browser interface. They interface with their desktop with a browser,
    they interact with their mail with a browser, they interact with their
    ISP with a browser, they interact with webforums with a browser, and
    they interact with usenet newsgroups with a browser.

    I interact with my router with a browser, and with my cablemodem with a
    browser, and read my Belarc advisor or my SIW report on my hardware with
    a browser.

    For some people, the fastest was to get something done is with a
    commandline interface or a keyboarded console; for others, if it isn't
    the 'familiar' browser interface to point and click it is impossible.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Mar 19, 2007
  9. asnarang.chd

    Vanguard Guest

    "asnarang.chd" <> wrote in message
    >I am using Microsoft Outlook 2003 for accessing my e-mails. Can I use
    > Microsoft Outllook to access the newsgroups and post questions to the
    > newsgroups. Please let me know how can I configure the account for
    > the same. Please give a specific example. I am a novice in this
    > field. Please do not mind my ignorance.

    Outlook does not support NNTP (Network News Transfer Protocol). It
    hasn't and it won't. Outlook Express supports NNTP (and what Outlook
    calls via its News menu). Why the concern about not being able to read
    newsgroup posts in an e-mail client? Newsgroups are NOT e-mail.

    You could buy Newshound which loads as a plug-in to Outlook so you could
    see newsgroups within Outlook, but why pay for it when you already have
    OE which is free?

    Vanguard, Mar 19, 2007
  10. asnarang.chd

    Vanguard Guest

    "Demolitio" <> wrote in message
    > Whiskers wrote:
    >> On 2007-03-19, asnarang.chd <> wrote:
    >>> I am using Microsoft Outlook 2003 for accessing my e-mails. Can I
    >>> use
    >>> Microsoft Outllook to access the newsgroups and post questions to
    >>> the
    >>> newsgroups. Please let me know how can I configure the account for
    >>> the same. Please give a specific example. I am a novice in this
    >>> field. Please do not mind my ignorance.
    >>>
    >>> A S Narang

    >> You cannot use Outlook for accessing usenet; use Outlook Express
    >> instead (which is the program you'll get if you have a 'newsgroups'
    >> menu item in Outlook, anyway).
    >>
    >> You seem to be accessing the internet using an ISP account with
    >> <http://www.sancharnet.in/>, and I can't find anything on their
    >> website about a news-server, so presumably they are among the ISPs
    >> who have chosen not to provide one. You will therefore have to sign
    >> up with one of the public news-servers instead; a web search will
    >> produce links to several. I can recommend the one I use, which you
    >> can read about here <http://www.individual.net/>. There are
    >> instructions on their website for setting up some of the popular
    >> news-reader programs for use with their service.
    >>

    > forgive me for asking a stupid question, but why not just sign up with
    > google groups for free, instead? I would be using them anywyas if my
    > ISP wasnt providing the servers. i dont mind browser-based usenet.

    Okay, just as some examples of features that aren't present when using a
    webnews-for-dummies interface:

    - Just how are you going to mark or tag the threads in which you are
    interested AND have them sorted so they show at the top of the message
    list (so they're right there at the top for you to see when you revisit
    the newsgroup)?

    - How are you going to read those posts when you are offline? The
    majority of home users are still using dial-up and some limit session
    duration or charge by minute of connect time regardless of the volume of
    traffic (i.e., the user gets charged even when idle on the network).

    - How are you going to use rules to color-code messages that are of most
    interest to you within a group?

    - If interested in binaries, even non-porn ones, just how are you going
    to get them using a webnews-for-dummies interface to an *emulated* NNTP
    provider who doesn't permit attachments to any posts sent or retrieved
    through their service?

    - Since Google Groups threads by Subject, just how are you going to
    separate different threads but which have the exact same Subject string?
    When reading "threads" at Google Groups, way too often you'll see some
    other thread(s) mixed in.

    - If you aren't interested in messages over N days old (because you're
    only interested in participating in the new ones), just how are you
    going to filter Google Groups to show you just the last few days of
    posts rather than all of them (and also have to page through them)?

    You don't use the webnews-for-dummies interface of Google Groups because
    you want to. You only use it because you have to because a real NNTP
    client and service aren't an option at the time.

    Vanguard, Mar 19, 2007
  11. Demolitio wrote:

    > forgive me for asking a stupid question, but why not just sign up with
    > google groups for free, instead? I would be using them anywyas if my ISP
    > wasnt providing the servers. i dont mind browser-based usenet.

    Clues on the page linked in my sig:

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups