Accessing Local Area Network While Connected To A VPN

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by izzbo, Mar 15, 2006.

  1. izzbo

    izzbo Guest

    This is a two part question.

    Here is the senerio. When I work from home I connect to my home network
    using my wireless connection. If I want to access network resources at
    work I need to connect to the network at work using Cisco's VPN Client.

    Question 1: Is it possible to configure my wireless connection or VPN
    so I can access network resources at work and access resources on my
    home network at the same time? (When I connect to the VPN, the default
    gateway for my wireless card is removed and the default gateway for the
    VPN is used.)

    Question 2: If I connect to my router using both my wireless connection
    and my local area connection and connect to the VPN, is it possible to
    use my DSL internet connection to access the internet but use the VPN
    to access the network resources at work? (In other words, when I
    connect to the VPN and the open a web browser, I am going through the
    VPN and it is rather slow and if I download or stream anything, it is
    going to be over the network at work. I want to use the VPN to access
    only the network resources at work and have all other traffic come
    through my internet connection at home, like I wasn't connected to the
    VPN.)

    Does that make any sense? Any ideas would be of great help.

    Thanks,

    Izzbo
    izzbo, Mar 15, 2006

  2. There is this one option in VPN properties called use remote gateway.
    Try that.
    --
    Regards
    Tarundeep Singh Kalra

    Tarundeep Singh, Mar 15, 2006

  3. izzbo

    izzbo Guest

    Thanks Tarundeep. The use remote gateway option is in microsoft's VPN
    client, correct. We need to use Cisco's VPN Client. The Cisco client
    has an option called "Allow Local LAN Access." I tried using that, but
    that didn't change anything. We need to use the Cisco client because we
    use group authentication. Once we establish a connection to the VPN
    server on the group level, we need to enter our individual user name
    and password. The group password is encrypted so I don't know what that
    is. I'm sure I could get around it, but it's not worth the effort right
    now.

    Any other suggestions on the Windows level you think could work?
    izzbo, Mar 16, 2006