    I have Spybot installed and everytime I access the internet it takes a long
    time to open a page. Any ideas?
    , Dec 3, 2004

  2. °Mike° Guest

    On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 21:38:06 -0500, in
    <>
    scrawled:

    >I have Spybot installed

    Which "Spybot"?

    > and everytime I access the internet it takes a long
    >time to open a page. Any ideas?

    What makes you think the two are connected?

    Perhaps you should provide more details. Please read
    the following, and rephrase your query:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Dec 3, 2004

  3. Toolman Tim Guest

    "" <> wrote in message
    |I have Spybot installed and everytime I access the internet it takes a long
    | time to open a page. Any ideas?

    Well, turn OFF the Spybot Search & Destroy TSR program: in version 1.3, you
    have to run Spybot in Advanced mode, then click on Tools (left column) and
    Resident (in the window). Remove the checkmarks from both options. Then load
    your Internet pages and see if it is any different.
    Toolman Tim, Dec 3, 2004
  4. Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message

    > "" <> wrote in message
    > |I have Spybot installed and everytime I access the internet it takes a

    long
    > | time to open a page. Any ideas?
    > |
    > Well, turn OFF the Spybot Search & Destroy TSR program: in version 1.3,

    you
    > have to run Spybot in Advanced mode, then click on Tools (left column) and
    > Resident (in the window). Remove the checkmarks from both options. Then

    load
    > your Internet pages and see if it is any different.

    Thanks for the help.
    , Dec 3, 2004
  5. trout Guest

    wrote:

    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "" <> wrote in
    >> message news:...
    >>> I have Spybot installed and everytime I access the internet it
    >>> takes a long time to open a page. Any ideas?
    >>>

    >> Well, turn OFF the Spybot Search & Destroy TSR program: in version
    >> 1.3, you have to run Spybot in Advanced mode, then click on Tools
    >> (left column) and Resident (in the window). Remove the checkmarks
    >> from both options. Then load your Internet pages and see if it is
    >> any different.
    >>

    > Thanks for the help.

    Did it make any difference when you turned it off? I'm just
    wondering, as I wouldn't *expect* the two things to be related....
    --
    "Just curious about the problem. Is it 'fixed'?"
    trout, Dec 3, 2004
  6. Toolman Tim Guest

    Newsguy67 wrote in message news:...

    | "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    | >
    | > Newsguy67 wrote in message
    | > |I have Spybot installed and everytime I access the internet it takes a
    | long
    | > | time to open a page. Any ideas?
    | > |
    | > Well, turn OFF the Spybot Search & Destroy TSR program: in version 1.3,
    | you
    | > have to run Spybot in Advanced mode, then click on Tools (left column)
    and
    | > Resident (in the window). Remove the checkmarks from both options. Then
    | load
    | > your Internet pages and see if it is any different.
    | >
    | Thanks for the help.

    Well, it *might* help. I don't use the teatimer function, and the other
    doesn't seem to affect my Internet speed. I do have the download blocker
    turned on, but I have broadband (cable) and it's fast enough that it
    probably wouldn't be an issue.
    Toolman Tim, Dec 3, 2004
  7. Toolman Tim Guest

    "trout" <> wrote in message
    | wrote:
    |
    | > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    | >>
    | >> "" <> wrote in
    | >> message news:...
    | >>>
    | >> Well, turn OFF the Spybot Search & Destroy TSR program: in version
    | >> 1.3, you have to run Spybot in Advanced mode, then click on Tools
    | >> (left column) and Resident (in the window). Remove the checkmarks
    | >> from both options. Then load your Internet pages and see if it is
    | >> any different.
    | >>
    | > Thanks for the help.
    |
    | Did it make any difference when you turned it off? I'm just
    | wondering, as I wouldn't *expect* the two things to be related....
    | --
    | "Just curious about the problem. Is it 'fixed'?"

    (I don't think it will help, but since the OP thought it was related, then
    he could at least test his theory by disabling it.)
    Toolman Tim, Dec 3, 2004
  8. trout Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:

    > "trout" <> wrote in message
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message

    >>> Thanks for the help.

    >> Did it make any difference when you turned it off? I'm just
    >> wondering, as I wouldn't *expect* the two things to be related....
    >> --
    >> "Just curious about the problem. Is it 'fixed'?"
    >>

    > (I don't think it will help, but since the OP thought it was related,
    > then he could at least test his theory by disabling it.)

    Not faulting the advice. Given the question, it would be the first
    logical step.
    And I *would* like to know if such a thing was possible, and then, why.
    And *if* not, maybe help the poster consider other possibilities.
    --
    "I learn things 'here', much more than I advise."
    trout, Dec 3, 2004
  9. Toolman Tim Guest

    "trout" <> wrote in message
    | Toolman Tim wrote:
    |
    | > "trout" <> wrote in message

    | >> Did it make any difference when you turned it off? I'm just
    | >> wondering, as I wouldn't *expect* the two things to be related....
    | >> --
    | >> "Just curious about the problem. Is it 'fixed'?"
    | >>
    | > (I don't think it will help, but since the OP thought it was related,
    | > then he could at least test his theory by disabling it.)
    |
    | Not faulting the advice. Given the question, it would be the first
    | logical step.
    | And I *would* like to know if such a thing was possible, and then, why.
    | And *if* not, maybe help the poster consider other possibilities.
    | --
    | "I learn things 'here', much more than I advise."

    I learn a lot here too - some new "tricks & tools" most every week.
    Toolman Tim, Dec 3, 2004
  10. Guest

    "trout" <> wrote in message
    > wrote:
    >
    > > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> "" <> wrote in
    > >> message news:...
    > >>>
    > >> Well, turn OFF the Spybot Search & Destroy TSR program: in version
    > >> 1.3, you have to run Spybot in Advanced mode, then click on Tools
    > >> (left column) and Resident (in the window). Remove the checkmarks
    > >> from both options. Then load your Internet pages and see if it is
    > >> any different.
    > >>

    > > Thanks for the help.

    > Did it make any difference when you turned it off? I'm just
    > wondering, as I wouldn't *expect* the two things to be related....
    > --
    > "Just curious about the problem. Is it 'fixed'?"

    Unfortunately it didn't help. Everytime I access a webpage I get the
    message "Web site found....waiting for reply", and then it would just
    struggle to open. And then it only opens in spurts. When I remove SpyBot
    SD 1.3 then my webpages open like normal.....almost instantaneously. I have
    cable modem access. When I install Spybot I don't install the teatimer or
    the internet block thingy. I remember on my old machine, Spybot did not
    cause this problem for me.

    , Dec 3, 2004
  11. Guest

    "" <> wrote in message

    > "trout" <> wrote in message
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message

    > > > Thanks for the help.

    > > Did it make any difference when you turned it off? I'm just
    > > wondering, as I wouldn't *expect* the two things to be related....
    > > --
    > > "Just curious about the problem. Is it 'fixed'?"
    > >

    > Unfortunately it didn't help. Everytime I access a webpage I get the
    > message "Web site found....waiting for reply", and then it would just
    > struggle to open. And then it only opens in spurts. When I remove SpyBot
    > SD 1.3 then my webpages open like normal.....almost instantaneously. I

    have
    > cable modem access. When I install Spybot I don't install the teatimer or
    > the internet block thingy. I remember on my old machine, Spybot did not
    > cause this problem for me.

    What I do notice is that all the grapics on a page takes a long time to
    load. The text on the page comes up very fast.
    , Dec 3, 2004
  12. Barry OGrady Guest

    On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 21:38:06 -0500, "" <> wrote:

    >I have Spybot installed and everytime I access the internet it takes a long
    >time to open a page. Any ideas?

    Spybot is not the problem.
    Spybot only runs when you run it. Don't run spybot wile on the net.

    -Barry
    ========
    Barry OGrady, Dec 3, 2004
  13. Guest

    "" <> wrote in message

    > "" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "trout" <> wrote in message

    > > > Did it make any difference when you turned it off? I'm just
    > > > wondering, as I wouldn't *expect* the two things to be related....
    > > > --
    > > > "Just curious about the problem. Is it 'fixed'?"
    > > >

    > > Unfortunately it didn't help. Everytime I access a webpage I get the
    > > message "Web site found....waiting for reply", and then it would just
    > > struggle to open. And then it only opens in spurts. When I remove

    SpyBot
    > > SD 1.3 then my webpages open like normal.....almost instantaneously. I

    > have
    > > cable modem access. When I install Spybot I don't install the teatimer

    or
    > > the internet block thingy. I remember on my old machine, Spybot did not
    > > cause this problem for me.
    > >

    > What I do notice is that all the grapics on a page takes a long time to
    > load. The text on the page comes up very fast.

    And one other thing. Normally I get cable modem speeds of 2.9
    megabits/second. With SD 1.3 installed I get speeds of 185 kilobits/second.
    So it seems that SD is causing my cable speeds to go down.
    , Dec 3, 2004