    patches.

    Is this possible? If so, how do I do this? Many thanks to the gurus who help
    the regular geeks.

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFyayBpbiBMYSBKb2xsYSBDQQ==?=, Jul 12, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?TWFyayBpbiBMYSBKb2xsYSBDQQ==?=

    Johnathan Guest

    Mark in La Jolla CA wrote:
    > I have 2 small Viao laptops. One has a Cingular Broadband connection.
    > I would like the other Viao to be able to access the internet though
    > the one with the broadband connection. Both laptops are running XP
    > Pro with all the latest patches.
    >
    > Is this possible? If so, how do I do this? Many thanks to the gurus
    > who help the regular geeks.

    Connect a Wireless Router to the modem. Both Laptops will have wirelss
    connectivity

    Johnathan, Jul 12, 2006

  3. =?Utf-8?B?TWFyayBpbiBMYSBKb2xsYSBDQQ==?=

    Lem Guest

    Mark in La Jolla CA wrote:
    > I have 2 small Viao laptops. One has a Cingular Broadband connection. I would
    > like the other Viao to be able to access the internet though the one with the
    > broadband connection. Both laptops are running XP Pro with all the latest
    > patches.
    >
    > Is this possible? If so, how do I do this? Many thanks to the gurus who help
    > the regular geeks.

    Theoretically, this is possible, but you will need either a wi-fi or
    Ethernet NIC in both laptops (in addition to the Cingular connection).
    Essentially, you have to network the two laptops together and then use
    Windows Internet Connection Sharing in the laptop that has the Cingular
    Broadband connection.

    In this somewhat dated article, MS MVP Barb Bowman describes how to set
    up a wi-fi ad-hoc network and implement ICS.

    The article assumes a wired Ethernet broadband connection to the
    Internet and, because it was written pre-SP2, uses WEP security for the
    wi-fi rather than WPA or WPA2 and the old Internet Connection Firewall
    rather than the newer sp2 Windows Firewall. Nevertheless, the
    principles are the same. Of course, because I've never used Cingular
    Broadband, I'm only assuming that it shows up in Network Connections and
    that you therefore ought to be able to share it just as you can share a
    "wired Ethernet broadband connection."

    Lem, Jul 12, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?TWFyayBpbiBMYSBKb2xsYSBDQQ==?=

    Lem Guest

    Johnathan wrote:
    > Mark in La Jolla CA wrote:
    >> I have 2 small Viao laptops. One has a Cingular Broadband connection.
    >> I would like the other Viao to be able to access the internet though
    >> the one with the broadband connection. Both laptops are running XP
    >> Pro with all the latest patches.
    >>
    >> Is this possible? If so, how do I do this? Many thanks to the gurus
    >> who help the regular geeks.

    > Connect a Wireless Router to the modem. Both Laptops will have wirelss
    > connectivity

    AFAIK, Cingular Broadband modems are PCMCIA cards that go into a laptop
    Type II slot. I don't know if there is any straightforward way to
    connect one of these cards to a wireless router.

    Lem, Jul 12, 2006
  5. Re: Accessing internet through a laptop wireless broadband connect

    Perfect. This is what I was looking for. The Cingular Broadband is built in
    so there is not even a PCMCIA card.

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFyayBpbiBMYSBKb2xsYSBDQQ==?=, Jul 12, 2006
  6. =?Utf-8?B?TWFyayBpbiBMYSBKb2xsYSBDQQ==?=

    Lem Guest

    Mark in La Jolla CA wrote:
    > Perfect. This is what I was looking for. The Cingular Broadband is built in
    > so there is not even a PCMCIA card.
    >
    > "Lem" wrote:
    >
    >> Mark in La Jolla CA wrote:
    >>> I have 2 small Viao laptops. One has a Cingular Broadband connection. I would
    >>> like the other Viao to be able to access the internet though the one with the
    >>> broadband connection. Both laptops are running XP Pro with all the latest
    >>> patches.
    >>>
    >>> Is this possible? If so, how do I do this? Many thanks to the gurus who help
    >>> the regular geeks.

    >> Theoretically, this is possible, but you will need either a wi-fi or
    >> Ethernet NIC in both laptops (in addition to the Cingular connection).
    >> Essentially, you have to network the two laptops together and then use
    >> Windows Internet Connection Sharing in the laptop that has the Cingular
    >> Broadband connection.
    >>
    >> In this somewhat dated article, MS MVP Barb Bowman describes how to set
    >> up a wi-fi ad-hoc network and implement ICS.
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_02april08.mspx
    >>

    >> The article assumes a wired Ethernet broadband connection to the
    >> Internet and, because it was written pre-SP2, uses WEP security for the
    >> wi-fi rather than WPA or WPA2 and the old Internet Connection Firewall
    >> rather than the newer sp2 Windows Firewall. Nevertheless, the
    >> principles are the same. Of course, because I've never used Cingular
    >> Broadband, I'm only assuming that it shows up in Network Connections and
    >> that you therefore ought to be able to share it just as you can share a
    >> "wired Ethernet broadband connection."

    Let us know if you get it working. As wireless broadband connections
    become more common, others will probably be asking the same question.

    Lem, Jul 12, 2006
  7. "Lem" <> wrote in message
    > Mark in La Jolla CA wrote:
    >> I have 2 small Viao laptops. One has a Cingular Broadband connection. I
    >> would like the other Viao to be able to access the internet though the
    >> one with the broadband connection. Both laptops are running XP Pro with
    >> all the latest patches. Is this possible? If so, how do I do this? Many
    >> thanks to the gurus who help the regular geeks.

    > Theoretically, this is possible, but you will need either a wi-fi or
    > Ethernet NIC in both laptops (in addition to the Cingular connection).
    > Essentially, you have to network the two laptops together and then use
    > Windows Internet Connection Sharing in the laptop that has the Cingular
    > Broadband connection.
    >
    > In this somewhat dated article, MS MVP Barb Bowman describes how to set up
    > a wi-fi ad-hoc network and implement ICS.
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_02april08.mspx
    >
    > The article assumes a wired Ethernet broadband connection to the Internet
    > and, because it was written pre-SP2, uses WEP security for the wi-fi
    > rather than WPA or WPA2 and the old Internet Connection Firewall rather
    > than the newer sp2 Windows Firewall. Nevertheless, the principles are the
    > same. Of course, because I've never used Cingular Broadband, I'm only
    > assuming that it shows up in Network Connections and that you therefore
    > ought to be able to share it just as you can share a "wired Ethernet
    > broadband connection."

    It's more than theoretical. At different times I have set up all sorts of
    wi-fi including ad-hoc to internet through one computer with a USB ADSL
    modem attached and also others attached to it wired. I have had bluetooth to
    wi-fi which was ICS as well and many others. It is easily done and you don't
    really need to bridge the networks if you don't want to share files between
    the lot but if you DO want to share files, bridge them.

    Diamontina Cocktail, Jul 12, 2006
  8. "Mark in La Jolla CA" <Mark in La Jolla > wrote
    in message news:...
    >I have 2 small Viao laptops. One has a Cingular Broadband connection. I
    >would
    > like the other Viao to be able to access the internet though the one with
    > the
    > broadband connection. Both laptops are running XP Pro with all the latest
    > patches.
    >
    > Is this possible? If so, how do I do this? Many thanks to the gurus who
    > help
    > the regular geeks.

    If you have a wi-fi NIC on each computer, set them up ad-hoc and then ICS to
    Internet. If you don't have a wi-fi NIC on both then set them up wired.
    Easiest way is to buy a crossover cable and set them up that way though you
    can buy a hub and 2 straight through cables. Once set up, ICS to Internet
    again.

    In either case, the Internet connection (Cingular) is the one that is shared
    when using ICS.

    Diamontina Cocktail, Jul 12, 2006
  9. Re: Accessing internet through a laptop wireless broadband connect

    I see that you have previously succeeded in sharing a USB ADSL connection,
    however it is unclear whether you have done this through Windows ICS. I would
    appreciate any help:-

    My system setup:

    Host PC:
    Desktop connected to Speedtouch ADSL modem - Windows Firewall running std -
    no exceptions.
    Wireless Asus NIC - Windows Firewall running std - no exceptions.

    Laptop:
    Wireless Intel NIC

    I have managed to set up an ad hoc connection (with no security). I followed
    Barb Bowmen'd model and the ad-hoc connection is OK. However my laptop is
    still unable to connect to the internet (page cannot be dispalyed). I see
    from Barb's model that my laptop should show an internet gateway, but it does
    not.

    =?Utf-8?B?SW1zdGVy?=, Sep 27, 2006