    inside web server from the inside using outside IP address.
    Thank you very much for any help!
    , Jan 19, 2007

  2. Thrill5 Guest

    I think its possible but only if your server and client are on different
    networks.

    Scott

    Thrill5, Jan 19, 2007

  3. Rod Dorman Guest

    In article <>,
    <> wrote:
    >I have a CISCO SOHO 91 router and on my LAN I have a web server. My
    >SOHO 91 is connected to an ADSL modem so it get a new IP address every
    >24h from my ISP.

    i.e. you don't have a static address,

    >I managed to configure it so that people can access my server from the
    >internet,

    Have you checked to make sure that's permitted by your ISP's TOS?

    >but when I try accessing it from one of my inside computers
    >using external IP address (dyndns - works from the outside), it won't
    >work.
    >Is it possible to make this work? I'd like to be able to access my
    >inside web server from the inside using outside IP address.

    The recommended way to do this is to run split DNS so 'internal'
    queries will get the internal address.

    An alternative is to edit the hosts file on every machine that needs
    to resolve to the internal address.

    --
    -- Rod --
    rodd(at)polylogics(dot)com
    Rod Dorman, Jan 19, 2007
  4. Guest

    Rod Dorman wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > <> wrote:
    > >I have a CISCO SOHO 91 router and on my LAN I have a web server. My
    > >SOHO 91 is connected to an ADSL modem so it get a new IP address every
    > >24h from my ISP.

    > i.e. you don't have a static address,
    >
    > >I managed to configure it so that people can access my server from the
    > >internet,

    > Have you checked to make sure that's permitted by your ISP's TOS?
    >
    > >but when I try accessing it from one of my inside computers
    > >using external IP address (dyndns - works from the outside), it won't
    > >work.
    > >Is it possible to make this work? I'd like to be able to access my
    > >inside web server from the inside using outside IP address.

    > The recommended way to do this is to run split DNS so 'internal'
    > queries will get the internal address.
    >
    > An alternative is to edit the hosts file on every machine that needs
    > to resolve to the internal address.

    I have the (quite possibly mistaken) idea that the NATter should
    be able to takecare of this but various (small) efforts have failed to
    make it work. There has been some discussion here about it
    over the last year or so.

    i.e. The router "knows" that you have a static nat configured
    and as part of the nat process it fixes up the DNS responses to
    point to your internal address in the case where the returned
    address is your external static nat address.

    Maybe a figment of my imagination.
    , Jan 21, 2007