Accessing Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by John, Nov 19, 2008.

  1. John

    John Guest

    I have a Compaq Presario F557 thats no longer working and I need to
    get some files off the HDD. I took the drive out and was thrown for a
    loop. The drive is a Fujitsu mhw2100bh sata drive. Its a funny design,
    I have a sata to usb adapter kit but cant plug it into the drive. The
    drive has a wierd setup and theres no way the adapter can connect to
    the pins. Any one ever hooked up to one of these drives. Here are some
    pics of the drive and the adapter Im using.
    Thanks
    John

    drive:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-250GB-Compaq-Presario-F557-F558-F560ET-Hard-Drive_W0QQitemZ230308237897QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPCC_Drives_Storage_Internal?hash=item230308237897&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

    adapter:

    http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0288075
     
    John, Nov 19, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. John

    Scribner Guest

    On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 17:12:19 -0800 (PST), John <>
    wrote:

    >I have a Compaq Presario F557 thats no longer working and I need to
    >get some files off the HDD. I took the drive out and was thrown for a
    >loop. The drive is a Fujitsu mhw2100bh sata drive. Its a funny design,
    >I have a sata to usb adapter kit but cant plug it into the drive. The
    >drive has a wierd setup and theres no way the adapter can connect to
    >the pins. Any one ever hooked up to one of these drives. Here are some
    >pics of the drive and the adapter Im using.
    >Thanks
    >John
    >
    >drive:
    >http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-250GB-Compaq-Presario-F557-F558-F560ET-Hard-Drive_W0QQitemZ230308237897QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPCC_Drives_Storage_Internal?hash=item230308237897&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318
    >
    >adapter:
    >
    >http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0288075



    Hi John:
    You need to use the cables that came with the kit to connect the
    drive to the adapter and to power. The red cable will go from the
    drive to the adapter and use the Molex to SATA power adapter to
    connect to the black power supply.

    http://www.cablesunlimited.com/products/Newgallery.aspx?GroupCode=I3523
     
    Scribner, Nov 19, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. John

    John Guest

    On Nov 18, 8:38 pm, Scribner <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 17:12:19 -0800 (PST), John <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    > >I have a Compaq Presario F557 thats no longer working and I need to
    > >get some files off the HDD. I took the drive out and was thrown for a
    > >loop. The drive is a Fujitsu mhw2100bh sata drive. Its a funny design,
    > >I have a sata to usb adapter kit but cant plug it into the drive. The
    > >drive has a wierd setup and theres no way the adapter can connect to
    > >the pins. Any one ever hooked up to one of these drives. Here are some
    > >pics of the drive and the adapter Im using.
    > >Thanks
    > >John

    >
    > >drive:
    > >http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-250GB-Compaq-Presario-F557-F558-F560ET-Hard-D...66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

    >
    > >adapter:

    >
    > >http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=02....

    >
    > Hi John:
    >     You need to use the cables that came with the kit to connect the
    > drive to the adapter and to power.  The red cable will go from the
    > drive to the adapter and use the Molex to SATA power adapter to
    > connect to the black power supply.
    >
    > http://www.cablesunlimited.com/products/Newgallery.aspx?GroupCode=I3523


    I tried hooking the cable from the drive to the adapter( the red cable
    in the link you supplied) it did not work and the SATA light on the
    adapter never lit up, Im not sure what you mean by Molex, but there is
    not other power suplly option beside plugging into the usb slot. Am I
    missing something here?
    Thanks
    John
     
    John, Nov 19, 2008
    #3
  4. Go to any big box electronics store like Frys or Microcenter and buy an
    external USB hard drive for under $20


    "John" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have a Compaq Presario F557 thats no longer working and I need to
    > get some files off the HDD. I took the drive out and was thrown for a
    > loop. The drive is a Fujitsu mhw2100bh sata drive. Its a funny design,
    > I have a sata to usb adapter kit but cant plug it into the drive. The
    > drive has a wierd setup and theres no way the adapter can connect to
    > the pins. Any one ever hooked up to one of these drives. Here are some
    > pics of the drive and the adapter Im using.
    > Thanks
    > John
    >
    > drive:
    > http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-250GB-Compaq-Presario-F557-F558-F560ET-Hard-Drive_W0QQitemZ230308237897QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPCC_Drives_Storage_Internal?hash=item230308237897&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318
    >
    > adapter:
    >
    > http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0288075
     
    Michael Miller, Nov 19, 2008
    #4
  5. John

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 07:47:57 -0500, "Michael Miller"
    <> wrote:

    >Go to any big box electronics store like Frys or Microcenter and buy an
    >external USB hard drive for under $20


    And that's going to help the OP get his files off that drive HOW?
    --
    To reply via e-mail, remove The Obvious from my e-mail address.
     
    Evan Platt, Nov 19, 2008
    #5
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Nate
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,180
    Ed Mullen
    Feb 21, 2004
  2. Accessing my hard drive

    , Oct 18, 2005, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    630
  3. =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obkhCb3lk?=

    Accessing an external hard drive

    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obkhCb3lk?=, Jan 6, 2007, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    385
    Jack \(MVP-Networking\).
    Jan 8, 2007
  4. Hurricane1000

    Accessing 2nd hard drive

    Hurricane1000, Jan 14, 2007, in forum: Computer Information
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    391
  5. Ozark

    Need help accessing USB Hard Drive

    Ozark, Jan 21, 2007, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    15
    Views:
    536
    Ralph Wade Phillips
    Jan 25, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page