    people's computers.

    Any help or pointers would be appreciated.

    Bob.
    Bob Regis, Oct 24, 2003

  2. Bob Regis

    Harrison Guest

    You may not have sharing enabled.
    You may be using a different workgroup or domain name.
    You may be using a firewall?

    Harrison, Oct 24, 2003

  3. Bob Regis

    Liz Guest

    "Bob Regis" wrote
    > I hope that this the correct newsgroup...
    >
    > I am in University accomodation, and have network access in my home.
    > I am using Win XP.
    >
    > Other people in the accomodation seem to access files on other peoples
    > computers by clicking on My Network Places.
    >
    > However when I do this, it just lists MSN explorer (after a short while) and
    > nothing else. Curiously, my computer's files are not accessible from these
    > people's computers.

    Did you disable XP's ICF? If the Internet Connection Firewall is
    enabled on a local area network, ICF will block File and Printer Sharing.

    Adding Windows XP to an Existing Network
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/addxp.htm
    Liz, Oct 24, 2003
  4. Bob Regis wrote:

    > I hope that this the correct newsgroup...
    >
    > I am in University accomodation, and have network access in my home.
    > I am using Win XP.
    >
    > Other people in the accomodation seem to access files on other peoples
    > computers by clicking on My Network Places.
    >
    > However when I do this, it just lists MSN explorer (after a short while)
    > and nothing else. Curiously, my computer's files are not accessible from
    > these people's computers.
    >
    > Any help or pointers would be appreciated.
    >
    > Bob.

    I'd suggest you contact the IT person at your University. This is an
    international newsgroup which is not affiliated with anything.

    But I have a question of you: Why in the WORLD would you want everyone else
    on the LAN (Local Area Network) to be able to browse through your files
    whenever they want to?!
    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA
    Gary G. Taylor, Oct 25, 2003
  5. Bob Regis

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 12:00:06 +0100, "Bob Regis" <> wrote:

    >I hope that this the correct newsgroup...
    >
    >I am in University accomodation, and have network access in my home.
    >I am using Win XP.
    >
    >Other people in the accomodation seem to access files on other peoples
    >computers by clicking on My Network Places.
    >
    >However when I do this, it just lists MSN explorer (after a short while) and
    >nothing else. Curiously, my computer's files are not accessible from these
    >people's computers.

    You need to connect to the network.

    >Any help or pointers would be appreciated.
    >
    >Bob.

    -Barry
    ========
    Voicemail/fax number +14136227640