    the same software but CPU2 accesses the database from CPU1. There is a delay
    when accessing the DB from CPU1. What can I do to speed up the speed that it
    accesses the db?
    MC Hammer, Feb 13, 2009

  2. MC Hammer

    James Egan Guest

    On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 08:56:28 -0800, MC Hammer <MC
    > wrote:

    >CPU1 is my server/workstation and CPU2 is just a workstation. They both run
    >the same software but CPU2 accesses the database from CPU1. There is a delay
    >when accessing the DB from CPU1. What can I do to speed up the speed that it
    >accesses the db?

    It's largely a matter of where the processing gets done. With a
    desktop database like Access the processing is all front end so huge
    amounts of data may have to travel across the network for just a
    simple query. With a proper database like SQL Server the majority of
    the processing will be done by the server so the amount of data
    needing to traverse the network will be much less.

    Perhaps you can look at using some sort of remote access software.
    Remote desktop, VNC or the like.

    Jim.
    James Egan, Feb 13, 2009