    Specifically, I am looking for some old email correspondence that I believe
    was compressed and does not show in the normal email folder.
    TIA John
    John Shamblin, Jan 24, 2005

  2. John Shamblin

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "John Shamblin" <jshamatcomcast.net> wrote in message
    | When doing a disk cleanup in Win XP, I see a message that the program is
    | "compressing old files" to save disk space. If I want to access one or
    more
    | of these "compressed" files later how do I go about it? I have tried to
    | search for compressed files using Windows XP search tool as well as Google
    | Desktop Search but nothing turns up.
    | Specifically, I am looking for some old email correspondence that I
    believe
    | was compressed and does not show in the normal email folder.
    | TIA John

    File compression in XP is "transparent". If a file is compressed, and you
    attempt to access it, the file is automatically un-compressed. If you are
    missing messages from your email folder, that is not a compression issue.
    That is a "lost email" issue. And it's highly unlikely that you will be able
    to get it back.
    Toolman Tim, Jan 25, 2005