    should be faster. (all the ip and URLs here are not real ones)

    thanks

    RTR

    RTR, Sep 18, 2007

  2. RTR

    Trendkill Guest

    On Sep 18, 6:06 pm, RTR <> wrote:
    > hello guys,
    >
    > here is a strange things. I have a URL eg:http://70.20.19.111/asp/main.aspx
    > when I use the url with IP the access is really slow.
    >
    > But when I use the name instead of IP address in URL it is blazing
    > fast and works.
    > eg:http://test.test.com/asp/main.aspx
    >
    > I am confused why is this happening. I would think IP based access
    > should be faster. (all the ip and URLs here are not real ones)
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > RTR

    Are you NATing? Are you using the external address (the NATed one) or
    the internal address? I'd assume the DNS is definitely the external
    one...or I could be on the wrong path completely. Any insight here?

    Trendkill, Sep 18, 2007

  3. RTR

    RTR Guest

    nating.

    But funny thing is here is an example.

    if you go to http://www.microsoft.com the site loads up very fast.
    but if you go to http://207.46.232.182 it loads really really slow and
    sometime times out.(this is a real ip of microsoft.com)

    hope you understand the issue.

    RTR, Sep 19, 2007
  4. On Sep 18, 9:24 pm, RTR <> wrote:
    > nating.
    >
    > But funny thing is here is an example.
    >
    > if you go tohttp://www.microsoft.com the site loads up very fast.
    > but if you go tohttp://207.46.232.182it loads really really slow and
    > sometime times out.(this is a real ip of microsoft.com)
    >
    > hope you understand the issue.

    Are you using any sort of a proxy server? You might use Wireshark or
    another packet sniffer to look and see if it is actually connecting to
    207.46.232.182 when you browse to www.microsoft.com. Occasionally,
    you might have issues using the IP addresses for some sites if they
    have more than one site hosted on a single IP and are using the host
    address to determine what site you want, but that shouldn't really
    make it slower or anything. It'll just give you an error.

    Oliver Garraux, Sep 19, 2007
  5. RTR

    Peter Guest

    Greetings,

    > here is a strange things. I have a URL eg: http://70.20.19.111/asp/main.aspx
    > when I use the url with IP the access is really slow.
    >
    > But when I use the name instead of IP address in URL it is blazing
    > fast and works.
    > eg: http://test.test.com/asp/main.aspx

    This might be a case of crook name resolution for the server, in that
    the DNS entry is following the correct Server, but the IP address is
    not. Poorly written Web pages can also cause this.

    Cheers................pk.

    --
    Peter from Auckland.

    Peter, Sep 19, 2007
  6. RTR

    Trendkill Guest

    On Sep 18, 9:24 pm, RTR <> wrote:
    > nating.
    >
    > But funny thing is here is an example.
    >
    > if you go tohttp://www.microsoft.com the site loads up very fast.
    > but if you go tohttp://207.46.232.182it loads really really slow and
    > sometime times out.(this is a real ip of microsoft.com)
    >
    > hope you understand the issue.

    Wonder if it could have something to do with reverse look-up, which
    could be different based on whether or not you are using the internal
    or external IP when you go directly. When you go to the DNS name, you
    come from outside and the source is from your external NAT interface.
    However if you are using the local IP when going directly, that will
    not resolve via reverse-lookup if this is a linksys type situation and
    you don't have an internal DNS server. I have seen things like this
    on a few different occasions.

    Trendkill, Sep 19, 2007
  7. RTR

    RTR Guest

    I used microsoft.com as an example this is happenning with anysite if
    I go using IP it loads very slow, go using name loads really fast.

    RTR, Sep 19, 2007
  8. RTR

    MC Guest

    RTR wrote:
    > I used microsoft.com as an example this is happenning with anysite if
    > I go using IP it loads very slow, go using name loads really fast.

    I would go with what the previous post indicated, if using a proxy
    server or even some firewalls doing any sort of DNS reverse lookup could
    slow it down if not resolving back to a name and having to timeout.

    When you say slow, is there a delay before the page even starts to load,
    or is the page contents just taking a while to display as the page loads ?

    MC, Sep 19, 2007