    I still havent had a really good look yet, so maybe by the time someone
    replies Ill have it worked out (fingers x'ed)

    TIA :)

    XPD, Apr 4, 2007

  2. XPD

    Mike Dee Guest

    "XPD" <> wrote in
    news::

    > I know this group is mainly full of Win/Lin users but itll be a
    > start :)
    >
    > Just picked up a G3 Mac cheap running OS 9.1.
    > Can someone tell me how to access my Windows network shares from
    > the Mac ?

    What Windows OS are you running?

    If its Win2k server you will have the software you need, but if its XP
    or newer you won't and will require some 3rd party software (called
    Dave).

    Read:
    http://www.adobe.com/devnet/dreamweaver/articles/accessing_win.html

    Scroll down for MacOS 9 section, there is also a link for "Dave" in
    same page.

    > I still havent had a really good look yet, so maybe by the time
    > someone replies Ill have it worked out (fingers x'ed)

    If you were sharing via a Linux network, you could share both Windows
    and Mac via Samba and NetaTalk.

    --
    dee

    Mike Dee, Apr 4, 2007

  3. XPD

    XPD Guest

    "Mike Dee" <> wrote in message
    >> Just picked up a G3 Mac cheap running OS 9.1.
    >> Can someone tell me how to access my Windows network shares from
    >> the Mac ?

    > What Windows OS are you running?
    >
    > If its Win2k server you will have the software you need, but if its XP
    > or newer you won't and will require some 3rd party software (called
    > Dave).
    >
    > Read:
    > http://www.adobe.com/devnet/dreamweaver/articles/accessing_win.html
    >
    > Scroll down for MacOS 9 section, there is also a link for "Dave" in
    > same page.

    Cheers for that - on XP and found I need some extra software....just trying
    a trial version of MacLAN atm.
    Will have a look at Dave as well tho.

    XPD, Apr 4, 2007
  4. XPD

    Mike Dee Guest

    "XPD" <> wrote in

    > "Mike Dee" <> wrote:

    [...]
    >> Read: http://www.adobe.com/devnet/dreamweaver/articles/accessing_win.html
    >>
    >> Scroll down for MacOS 9 section, there is also a link for "Dave"
    >> in same page.

    > Cheers for that - on XP and found I need some extra
    > software....just trying a trial version of MacLAN atm.
    > Will have a look at Dave as well tho.

    YW. - MacLan works pretty well too, IIRC. It's been a while since
    I've been in that situation, but had used MacLan before and found it
    to work quite well (I wasn't aware they were still in the business).

    --
    dee

    Mike Dee, Apr 4, 2007
  5. XPD

    XPD Guest

    "Mike Dee" <> wrote in message
    >> Cheers for that - on XP and found I need some extra
    >> software....just trying a trial version of MacLAN atm.
    >> Will have a look at Dave as well tho.

    > YW. - MacLan works pretty well too, IIRC. It's been a while since
    > I've been in that situation, but had used MacLan before and found it
    > to work quite well (I wasn't aware they were still in the business).
    >
    > --
    > dee

    Yeah its still going, bought out by CA however.

    XPD, Apr 4, 2007
  6. XPD

    David Empson Guest

    XPD <> wrote:

    > I know this group is mainly full of Win/Lin users but itll be a start :)

    There are a few Mac users here.

    > Just picked up a G3 Mac cheap running OS 9.1.
    > Can someone tell me how to access my Windows network shares from the Mac ?

    PCMacLan and DAVE were the main commercial solutions: PCMacLan adds
    Mac-compatible file sharing (AFP) to Windows, DAVE adds
    Windows-compatible file sharing (SMB) to the Mac.

    Both Apple's and Microsoft's "server" OSes support the other platform,
    but if you are just sharing files on "client" OSes then there is no
    built-in solution.

    Some roundabout solutions include running an FTP client and server, or a
    file sharing product like Hotline.

    If you are able to upgrade to Mac OS X, it would be much easier as Mac
    OS X includes Samba. Getting a cheap copy of an older version of Mac OS
    X should be easy enough, and may work out cheaper than buying a
    commercial file sharing product.

    Exactly which version you can run depends on the computer model,
    installed RAM and available hard drive space. You should go for the
    latest version possible (at least 10.2, and 10.3 is much better).

    To run 10.3, the computer must have a built-in USB port, which rules out
    "beige" G3 PowerMacs but includes all iMac models. The beige G3s will
    run 10.2.

    In either case I'd recommend 256 MB RAM and 6 GB hard drive space as a
    reasonable minimum, though more of both is better. The absolute minimum
    for these versions is 128 MB RAM and 4 GB hard drive space, but it would
    be painful.

    Another option (though somewhat defeating the purpose of having a Mac in
    the first place) would be to run a PowerPC Linux variant on it (Yellow
    Dog?), and use Samba on that.

    You could get really silly and run Virtual PC with Windows 95 (later
    versions of Windows are likely to be too slow to be usable).

    --
    David Empson

    David Empson, Apr 4, 2007
  7. XPD

    Mike Dee Guest

    (David Empson) wrote in

    [...]
    > Some roundabout solutions include running an FTP client and
    > server, or a file sharing product like Hotline.
    >
    > If you are able to upgrade to Mac OS X, it would be much easier as
    > Mac OS X includes Samba. Getting a cheap copy of an older version
    > of Mac OS X should be easy enough, and may work out cheaper than
    > buying a commercial file sharing product.
    >
    > Exactly which version you can run depends on the computer model,
    > installed RAM and available hard drive space. You should go for
    > the latest version possible (at least 10.2, and 10.3 is much
    > better).
    >
    > To run 10.3, the computer must have a built-in USB port, which
    > rules out "beige" G3 PowerMacs but includes all iMac models. The
    > beige G3s will run 10.2.

    While the OP didn't say if his G3 Mac was "old or new world", I
    have a beige G3 running very contentedly on 10.3x at the moment.
    I used XpostFacto to perform this minor wonderment. Not the latest
    version of XPF (4.x) - which is supposed to work on this Mac but
    danged if I can get it to work, I am using with great success
    XPostFacto vers. 3.1 on a beige 266 G3 (OS X 10.3.9).
    http://eshop.macsales.com/OSXCenter/XPostFacto/Framework.cfm?page=XPostFacto.html

    > In either case I'd recommend 256 MB RAM and 6 GB hard drive space
    > as a reasonable minimum, though more of both is better. The
    > absolute minimum for these versions is 128 MB RAM and 4 GB hard
    > drive space, but it would be painful.
    >
    > Another option (though somewhat defeating the purpose of having a
    > Mac in the first place) would be to run a PowerPC Linux variant on
    > it (Yellow Dog?), and use Samba on that.
    >
    > You could get really silly and run Virtual PC with Windows 95
    > (later versions of Windows are likely to be too slow to be
    > usable).

    I'm that kind of "silly" ;-)
    You can "speed" Win98 up a tad on VPC (and a beige G3 Mac) if you run
    the *ware addon 98lite. OTOH, Win95 on a beige G3 runs fairly well up
    to 486 speed LOL. - Networking via VPC to a 'real' Win box is easy.

    --
    dee

    Mike Dee, Apr 4, 2007
  8. XPD

    XPD Guest

    "David Empson" <> wrote in message

    > Exactly which version you can run depends on the computer model,
    > installed RAM and available hard drive space. You should go for the
    > latest version possible (at least 10.2, and 10.3 is much better).
    >
    > To run 10.3, the computer must have a built-in USB port, which rules out
    > "beige" G3 PowerMacs but includes all iMac models. The beige G3s will
    > run 10.2.
    >
    > In either case I'd recommend 256 MB RAM and 6 GB hard drive space as a
    > reasonable minimum, though more of both is better. The absolute minimum
    > for these versions is 128 MB RAM and 4 GB hard drive space, but it would
    > be painful.

    Got plenty of RAM and HDD to play with in it :)
    Basic specs+pic : http://xpdnz.blogspot.com/

    XPD, Apr 4, 2007
  9. XPD

    David Empson Guest

    XPD <> wrote:

    > "David Empson" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Exactly which version you can run depends on the computer model,
    > > installed RAM and available hard drive space. You should go for the
    > > latest version possible (at least 10.2, and 10.3 is much better).
    > >
    > > To run 10.3, the computer must have a built-in USB port, which rules out
    > > "beige" G3 PowerMacs but includes all iMac models. The beige G3s will
    > > run 10.2.
    > >
    > > In either case I'd recommend 256 MB RAM and 6 GB hard drive space as a
    > > reasonable minimum, though more of both is better. The absolute minimum
    > > for these versions is 128 MB RAM and 4 GB hard drive space, but it would
    > > be painful.

    > Got plenty of RAM and HDD to play with in it :)
    > Basic specs+pic : http://xpdnz.blogspot.com/

    Hope you don't mind me quoting...

    > [Blue & White] G3 Tower 350mhz
    > 700mb RAM
    > 6gb IDE HDD
    > 40gb IDE HDD
    > ??gb SCSI HDD
    > 20" Apple Monitor - one heavy bastard - crushed one of my fingers getting
    > it inside.
    >
    > OS 9.1 with a heap of applications. Will upgrade it to OS X ASAP as
    > nothing out there runs on 9.1 these days :p

    Great! A Blue and White G3 is a good starting point for playing with Mac
    OS X. 350 MHz will be a little slow, and the video card might not give
    you much in the way of pretty graphics effects, so don't judge it too
    harshly given that you are using an eight year old computer.

    Given those specs, you can easily run the current version of Mac OS X
    (10.4, Tiger), if you don't mind buying it new ($239) or can find a
    second hand copy. The second hard market might offer up more copies of
    10.4 after 10.5 (Leopard) is released, some time in the next two or
    three months. (Leopard probably won't work on your B&W G3.)

    The G3 processor is somewhat of a limitation: a fair amount of software
    in the audio/video/image realm requires a G4 (for the vector processing
    unit), so things like DVD encoding in software are not feasible. It will
    be fine for general productivity software, networking, etc.

    10.4 will keep your options open as far as possible for software
    compatibility. There is still a fair amount of software which works on
    10.3.9, but 10.2 support is rare in new versions of software.

    --
    David Empson

    David Empson, Apr 4, 2007
  10. XPD

    >> Got plenty of RAM and HDD to play with in it :)
    >> Basic specs+pic : http://xpdnz.blogspot.com/

    > Hope you don't mind me quoting...

    Knock yourself out :)

    > Given those specs, you can easily run the current version of Mac OS X
    > (10.4, Tiger), if you don't mind buying it new ($239) or can find a
    > second hand copy. The second hard market might offer up more copies of
    > 10.4 after 10.5 (Leopard) is released, some time in the next two or
    > three months. (Leopard probably won't work on your B&W G3.)

    Yeah seen quite a few copies kicking around on TM....

    > The G3 processor is somewhat of a limitation: a fair amount of software
    > in the audio/video/image realm requires a G4 (for the vector processing
    > unit), so things like DVD encoding in software are not feasible. It will
    > be fine for general productivity software, networking, etc.

    Thats fine, I mainly bought it to play with so I can expand my knowledge and
    services into the Mac arena :)
    Dont plan on doing much more than breaking it (software that is) ;)

    Thanks for the info :)

    XPD, Apr 5, 2007