Access to Usenet (without using Google Groups!)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by ~BD~, Sep 17, 2009.

  1. ~BD~

    ~BD~ Guest

    I'm managing to resist the temptation to install Windows on my Apple iMac -
    so don't have the luxury of Outlook Express for reading Newsgroups (as I
    have on this XP machine).

    I've tried using Thunderbird but it messed up somewhere (OK - *I* messed it
    up! <g>) ....... and I couldn't get rid of it! Grrrr! So ............

    Today I started afresh with a clean install of OSX Leopard and then I
    updated to Snow Leopard from a CD that arrived earlier this week from
    Amazon.

    I'd appreciate comments fom the wise here on which 'free' newsreaders they
    feel able to recommend for use on my iMac.

    Many thanks.

    --
    Dave

    ~BD~, Sep 17, 2009

  2. "~BD~" <> wrote in

    > I'm managing to resist the temptation to install Windows on my
    > Apple iMac - so don't have the luxury of Outlook Express for
    > reading Newsgroups (as I have on this XP machine).
    >
    > I've tried using Thunderbird but it messed up somewhere (OK - *I*
    > messed it up! <g>) ....... and I couldn't get rid of it! Grrrr!
    > So ............
    >
    > Today I started afresh with a clean install of OSX Leopard and
    > then I updated to Snow Leopard from a CD that arrived earlier this
    > week from Amazon.
    >
    > I'd appreciate comments fom the wise here on which 'free'
    > newsreaders they feel able to recommend for use on my iMac.

    One of the oldest tried-and-true freeware Macintosh usenet readers is
    "MT Newswatcher".

    <http://mt-newswatcher.en.softonic.com/mac>

    HTH,
    John

    John Wunderlich, Sep 18, 2009

  3. ~BD~

    ~BD~ Guest

    "skeeter" <> wrote in message

    > "philo" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "~BD~" <> wrote in message
    >>> I'm managing to resist the temptation to install Windows on my Apple
    >>> iMac - so don't have the luxury of Outlook Express for reading
    >>> Newsgroups (as I have on this XP machine).
    >>>
    >>> I've tried using Thunderbird but it messed up somewhere (OK - *I* messed
    >>> it up! <g>) ....... and I couldn't get rid of it! Grrrr! So
    >>>
    >>> Today I started afresh with a clean install of OSX Leopard and then I
    >>> updated to Snow Leopard from a CD that arrived earlier this week from
    >>> Amazon.
    >>>
    >>> I'd appreciate comments fom the wise here on which 'free' newsreaders
    >>> they feel able to recommend for use on my iMac.
    >>>
    >>> Many thanks.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Dave
    >>>

    >> http://www.eternal-september.org/
    >>

    > i think he's asking what news reader, not server.

    You are correct "skeeter" yet it was good of "philo" to reply (thanks!)

    My fault really - I should have asked about "Usenet news clients", shouldn't
    I? <wink>

    --
    Dave

    ~BD~, Sep 18, 2009
  4. ~BD~

    ~BD~ Guest

    "John Wunderlich" <> wrote in message
    > "~BD~" <> wrote in
    >
    >> I'm managing to resist the temptation to install Windows on my
    >> Apple iMac - so don't have the luxury of Outlook Express for
    >> reading Newsgroups (as I have on this XP machine).
    >>
    >> I've tried using Thunderbird but it messed up somewhere (OK - *I*
    >> messed it up! <g>) ....... and I couldn't get rid of it! Grrrr!
    >> So ............
    >>
    >> Today I started afresh with a clean install of OSX Leopard and
    >> then I updated to Snow Leopard from a CD that arrived earlier this
    >> week from Amazon.
    >>
    >> I'd appreciate comments fom the wise here on which 'free'
    >> newsreaders they feel able to recommend for use on my iMac.

    > One of the oldest tried-and-true freeware Macintosh usenet readers is
    > "MT Newswatcher".
    >
    > <http://mt-newswatcher.en.softonic.com/mac>
    >
    > HTH,
    > John

    Thank you, John

    It seems 'just the ticket'! I'll give it a try.

    I appreciate your help. :)

    --
    Dave

    ~BD~, Sep 18, 2009
  5. On Thu, 17 Sep 2009 18:57:46 -0400, ~BD~ <> wrote:

    > I'm managing to resist the temptation to install Windows on my Apple
    > iMac -
    > so don't have the luxury of Outlook Express for reading Newsgroups (as I
    > have on this XP machine)

    <slaps forehead>
    you bought an imac? Do you want to be banned from the microsoft newsgroups
    forever???
    --
    Max Wachtel
    This post was created using Opera@USB: http://www.opera-usb.com/

    What's in a Name?, Sep 19, 2009
  6. ~BD~

    ~BD~ Guest

    <whispering> Psst .......... Max!
    I haven't told anyone on the Microsoft groups so they'd never know - would
    they?!!! ;)

    --
    Dave

    ~BD~, Sep 19, 2009