    Network Connection Status screen shows packets being sent and received.

    Does this mean someone is on my wireless network?
    If so, is it possible to see what machine is connected?
    =?Utf-8?B?TWlraWVTbGF0cw==?=, Feb 25, 2007

  2. Hi
    If some one is on your Wireless connection and using the Internet you would
    not see any thing on your computer since the traffic goes through the Router
    directly to the Internet.
    If some one is accessing your Wireless and your Hard Drive allow sharing,
    then you should see traffic in and out of your Hard Drive and your Network
    connection.
    If it is a "Leecher" there would be an extra IP usage that can be seen in
    the Router's DHCP table.
    If indeed some one is invading your system there is No easy way to find the
    culprit.
    Secure your system and be done with it.
    From the weakest to the Strongest..
    No Security
    MAC
    WEP
    WPA-PSK
    WPA-AES
    WPA2
    Wireless Security - <http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html>
    WEP, WPA, and the Future - <http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html>
    The security must be set according to lowest capable Wireless component.
    I.e. even most of you Wireless are capable to do WPA2, but one device is
    only capable to do WEP, the whole system must be configured to WEP.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Feb 25, 2007

  3. Thanks Jack. I'll have a go at that.

    Regards Mikie

    =?Utf-8?B?TWlraWVTbGF0cw==?=, Feb 25, 2007
  4. =?Utf-8?B?TWlraWVTbGF0cw==?=

    Barb Bowman Guest

    Please DO secure your wireless network as Jack outlined. The icon
    lights could be:

    1. windows autupdate checking and downloading updates
    2. your anti virus program checking for updates and downloading
    3. requests to your router to renew your DHCP address
    4. lots of other valid requests like the above

    However there are other programs that might be causing the activity,
    so you also might run an anti spyware/malware scan just to be sure.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP
    Barb Bowman, Feb 25, 2007
  5. Thanks Barb I actually found through the router software that a couple of
    freeloaders were camped on my wireless network. So I have solved that
    situation.

    But would their presence produce traffic through my desktop which is on the
    wireless network? I can't see how.

    But the lights activity stopped when I denied the pirates access so it's a
    bot of a mystery to me.

    Thanks again

    Michael

    =?Utf-8?B?TWlraWVTbGF0cw==?=, Feb 28, 2007
  6. =?Utf-8?B?TWlraWVTbGF0cw==?=

    Barb Bowman Guest

    what operating system? what sharing method? have you thoroughly
    checked your hard drive for unknown files?

    Barb Bowman, Feb 28, 2007