    the Internet -- no luck. I need to know what ports to open and share on the
    DI-524 and DI-624s to be able to have access to the USB drives from the
    Internet.

    =?Utf-8?B?R3JlZyBCLg==?=, Apr 3, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?R3JlZyBCLg==?=

    Malke Guest

    Greg B. wrote:

    > I have a wireless network set up that is working fine using a D-Link
    > DI-524 router (192.168.0.24) connected to a cable modem and a DI-624s
    > router (192.168.0.1) connected to the 524 (Lan to Lan) with USB drives
    > plugged into it. I can connect wirelessly to either router and have
    > access to the Internet and to the USB drives on the 624s.
    >
    > I have set up Remote Desktop to access one of the networked computers
    > from the Internet using the private port 3389 to the remote desktop PC
    > and a public port that's not 3389. I can access that PC from the
    > Internet using that public port. (works great!) I can access the USB
    > drives on the 624s from this Remote Desktop connection.
    >
    > I would like to access the USB drives on the DI-624s from the Internet
    > without having to use a Remote Desktop connection to the PC on the
    > network. I have tried using the DMZ on the DI-524 router to set IP
    > address 192.168.0.1 for 'direct access' from the Internet and set the
    > remote management on the DI-624s to on. I should then be able to
    > connect and manage the DI-624s from the Internet -- no luck. I need to
    > know what ports to open and share on the DI-524 and DI-624s to be able
    > to have access to the USB drives from the Internet.

    If I understand what you want to do, this isn't possible unless the usb
    drives are running an operating system. If I understand your setup
    correctly, the usb drives are just data drives. You need the operating
    system to make everything work.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers

    Malke, Apr 3, 2006

  3. "Malke" wrote:

    > Greg B. wrote:
    >
    > > I would like to access the USB drives on the DI-624s from the Internet
    > > without having to use a Remote Desktop connection to the PC on the
    > > network. I have tried using the DMZ on the DI-524 router to set IP
    > > address 192.168.0.1 for 'direct access' from the Internet and set the
    > > remote management on the DI-624s to on. I should then be able to
    > > connect and manage the DI-624s from the Internet -- no luck. I need to
    > > know what ports to open and share on the DI-524 and DI-624s to be able
    > > to have access to the USB drives from the Internet.

    > If I understand what you want to do, this isn't possible unless the usb
    > drives are running an operating system. If I understand your setup
    > correctly, the usb drives are just data drives. You need the operating
    > system to make everything work.
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic"

    Ok, if I can't access the USB drives from the Internet directly, then I will
    coninue to use the Remote Desktop method.

    So, the USB drives hooked to a DI-624s can't be shared over the Internet
    like drives hooked to a D-Link DNS-120.

    =?Utf-8?B?R3JlZyBCLg==?=, Apr 3, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?R3JlZyBCLg==?=

    Jack Guest

    Hi

    USB Drives are Not Independent Ethernet devices and can not be put by them
    self on a Network.

    When USB Drives are plugged into a NAS device, like the D-Link DNS-120 the
    device turns them into NAS, and they can be accessed from the Network (or
    the Internet). http://www.ezlan.net/nas.html

    An alternative solution might be installing an FTP server on one computer
    and pointing the server to the USB Drives. The computer needs to be On in
    order to accept a connection, but No need for Remote Control.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Apr 3, 2006
  5. "Jack" wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > USB Drives are Not Independent Ethernet devices and can not be put by them
    > self on a Network.
    >
    > When USB Drives are plugged into a NAS device, like the D-Link DNS-120 the
    > device turns them into NAS, and they can be accessed from the Network (or
    > the Internet). http://www.ezlan.net/nas.html
    >
    > An alternative solution might be installing an FTP server on one computer
    > and pointing the server to the USB Drives. The computer needs to be On in
    > order to accept a connection, but No need for Remote Control.

    Thanks for the information, Jack.

    I will continue to use the USB drives hooked up to the DI-624s for local
    network access and get a DNS-120 to hook up USB drives to access from the
    Internet. Until then, I will use the Remote Desktop method to access the
    drives on the DI-624s.

    =?Utf-8?B?R3JlZyBCLg==?=, Apr 3, 2006
  6. =?Utf-8?B?R3JlZyBCLg==?=

    Benedictum Guest