    I have the wireless router setup, with shared files, and my printer. What I
    can't figure out is how to use a program on my desktop computer from my
    notebook computer. What do I do?

    =?Utf-8?B?V2hlZWxydW5lcg==?=, Aug 29, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?V2hlZWxydW5lcg==?=

    Malke Guest

    Wheelruner wrote:

    > How can I access programs from my desktop computer using my notebook
    > computer and a wireless network router?
    >
    > I have the wireless router setup, with shared files, and my printer.
    > What I can't figure out is how to use a program on my desktop computer
    > from my notebook computer. What do I do?

    Unless the program was designed to do this (and most consumer-level
    programs are not), you can't do this. Unless the program was designed
    to be run on a server with client workstations connecting, you will
    need to install the program on your notebook in order to use it.

    What you can do is share the data - files you made in the programs -
    between the two computers.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Malke, Aug 29, 2006

  3. Per Wheelruner:
    >How can I access programs from my desktop computer using my notebook computer
    >and a wireless network router?

    Read up on "Remote Desktop" - which, I think, is available only in XP
    Professional. However I'd bet there are at leas a dozen programs that do the
    same thing.

    It's not exactly what you want, but if you save the document you're working on
    to your laptop, it might be close enough.
    --
    PeteCresswell

    (PeteCresswell), Aug 29, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?V2hlZWxydW5lcg==?=

    Malke Guest

    (PeteCresswell) wrote:

    > Per Wheelruner:
    >>How can I access programs from my desktop computer using my notebook
    >>computer and a wireless network router?

    > Read up on "Remote Desktop" - which, I think, is available only in XP
    > Professional. However I'd bet there are at leas a dozen programs
    > that do the same thing.
    >
    > It's not exactly what you want, but if you save the document you're
    > working on to your laptop, it might be close enough.

    You're quite right about remote desktop apps - I didn't think about them
    in relation to the OP's question but of course I should have done. It
    would help if we knew exactly what program he wanted to run, but
    certainly the remote desktop function of XP or a third-party one would
    do the trick.

    Good catch! Thanks!

    Malke

    Malke, Aug 29, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?V2hlZWxydW5lcg==?=

    AJR Guest

    Wheelruner is not exactly clear as to "how to use a program on my desktop
    computer from my
    notebook computer." Is the intent to run the program as if installed on the
    notebook - e.g. an application server required. Remote desktop would not
    meet that goal since he would be running the program on the desktop with
    results on the desktop - not the laptop.

    AJR, Aug 29, 2006