Access problems when using wireless

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by VirtualGraeme, Jan 29, 2005.

  1. I have an ADSL modem/router to which I have connected a wireless
    router. I
    have set up both devices as DHCP servers and have a desktop PC and
    laptop
    connected to them. However I have a couple of problems with the setup.

    1. In order to be able to access the wireless router setup screens
    using its
    preset IP address (192.168.0.1) from the desktop PC I have to connect
    its
    LAN cable to the wireless router. If I hook up the desktop directly to
    the
    modem/router (192.168.1.1) the web browser cannot reach the wireless
    router.
    Why is this? Should only the modem / router act as a DHCP server?

    2. I can connect to the internet, get email, web surf and make VPN
    connections from my laptop using wireless. However for some reason when
    using wireless I cannot connect to the fileservers at my workplace over
    the
    VPN connection. I can connect to the Exchange server at work (using
    Outlook
    in both online and offline mode) but if I try to synchronize files or
    get at
    files on the file servers everything grinds to a halt. This does not
    happen
    if I use a LAN cable connected to the modem/router, I am able to
    synchronize
    files and access the files without any problems.

    Are these two issues indicative of an incorrect configuration of the
    two
    devices?

    Thanks...Graeme
    VirtualGraeme, Jan 29, 2005