access problems for HP notebook running Vista Home Premium

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Mike Webb, Jul 20, 2007.

  1. Mike Webb

    Mike Webb Guest

    I've got a WLAN as part of our network. Six AP's (D-Link DWL-2200AP;s) and
    a managed switch (D-Link DES-3828). One AP is wired to the switch with an IP
    on the LAN - 192.168.16.x. Two SSID's - one for access to the LAN (it is
    WPA2 enabled) and the other is for guests/visitors (no security) [we are
    alone in a avery rural area]. On the switch I have 3 VLAN's -- System
    (default), LAN and Guest. I have configured a static route pointing to the
    internal network. I created one IP interface (I don't really understand
    them), pointing to the internal network.

    I am testing this setup with the notebook. It can detect the 2 SSID's fine,
    but I can't conect. The notebook diagnostics say it is getting no response
    from the AP. Checked the log of the AP - nothing there, and no client info.
    Checked the Security Log in Event Viewer on the server (Small Business
    Server 2003 Premium SP2) and saw Event ID's 529 and 680 for the attempts.
    Apparently the access is being passed right to the server to verify the
    credentials -- although I was not given a login window. (same results for
    either SSID)

    What am I doing wrong??

    --
    Mike Webb
    Platte River Whooping Crane Maintenance Trust, Inc.

    Mike Webb, Jul 20, 2007

  2. "Mike Webb" <> wrote in message
    > I've got a WLAN as part of our network. Six AP's (D-Link DWL-2200AP;s)
    > and a managed switch (D-Link DES-3828). One AP is wired to the switch with
    > an IP on the LAN - 192.168.16.x. Two SSID's - one for access to the LAN
    > (it is WPA2 enabled) and the other is for guests/visitors (no security)
    > [we are alone in a avery rural area].

    If the AP only has one IP# then the two SSIDs are using the same network,
    therefore the network is unsecured because everyone can just connect to the
    Guest SSID instead of the LAN SSID and still get to the same place. Unless
    the AP is capable of using the VLANs with a Virtual interface for each VLAN,
    and the VLANs are separated from each other by a LAN Router running
    ACLs,...the Guest SSID is serving no real purpose other than to provide a
    "way around" the LAN SSID

    > On the switch I have 3 VLAN's -- System (default), LAN and Guest.

    Ok, but those are just "human friendly" names for the VLANs,...they have to
    actually run on separate IP Segments and that is what really distiguishes
    them from one another at the network level. Also a Switch may have
    VLANs,..but a Switch cannot route between the VLAN so it is usless by
    itself. There has to be a LAN Router to route between the IP Segments to
    handle routing (and possibly ACLs) between them. Now there are Layer3
    Switches that are a Switch and a LAN Router built into the same
    hardware,..but you need to indicate if you have that,...if you just call it
    a Switch then a Switch is all we think you have. For clarity, with a Layer3
    Switch you need to call it a "Switch" when refering to the Layer2 Switching
    functions,...but refer to it as a Router when refering to its Layer3 routing
    function (treat it like it was two separeate devices).

    > I have configured a static route pointing to the internal network. I
    > created one IP interface (I don't really understand them), pointing to the
    > internal network.

    I don't understand what you are talking about there. I see no need for a
    static route in a fairly simple three-subnet LAN.

    > I am testing this setup with the notebook. It can detect the 2 SSID's
    > fine, but I can't conect. The notebook diagnostics say it is getting no
    > response from the AP. Checked the log of the AP - nothing there, and no
    > client info. Checked the Security Log in Event Viewer on the server (Small
    > Business Server 2003 Premium SP2) and saw Event ID's 529 and 680 for the
    > attempts. Apparently the access is being passed right to the server to
    > verify the credentials -- although I was not given a login window. (same
    > results for either SSID)

    I don't understand your environment well enough to make any other comments
    yet.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    Phillip Windell, Jul 20, 2007

  3. Mike Webb

    Mike Webb Guest

    Sorry about the confusion. The switch is a L3 one, and I have 3 IP
    Interfaces on it -- one for each VLAN (with the hlpe of D-Link's tech
    support).

    I am unable to connect from this notebook, nor an old Tablet PC running XP
    Pro (only capable of 802.1b), but was able to connect fine with 2 yr old
    Dell D820 notebook with acard that can do 802.1b & g. Don't know why, but
    it works and tells me the setup is okay.

    Mike

    Mike Webb, Jul 20, 2007
  4. "Mike Webb" <> wrote in message
    > Sorry about the confusion. The switch is a L3 one, and I have 3 IP
    > Interfaces on it -- one for each VLAN (with the hlpe of D-Link's tech
    > support).
    >
    > I am unable to connect from this notebook, nor an old Tablet PC running XP
    > Pro (only capable of 802.1b), but was able to connect fine with 2 yr old
    > Dell D820 notebook with acard that can do 802.1b & g. Don't know why, but
    > it works and tells me the setup is okay.

    I don't know.
    Better wait and see what the other guys here think about it.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    Phillip Windell, Jul 20, 2007