    --
    David Williams
    Email:

    David Williams, Feb 28, 2004

  2. I don't think we have any document that really explains
    the theory behind using IRB on the AP. Basically,
    a BVI is a software interface that is used for layer 3
    configuration of a bridge group. On the AP (assuming
    no VLANs), the FastEthernet0 and the Dot11Radio0 interfaces
    will be in bridge-group 1, and the BVI1 interface allows
    you to configure layer 3 stuff (like an IP address) that
    applies to bridge-group 1.

    So layer 3 stuff goes on BVI1; layer 2 stuff would go
    on FastEthernet0 and/or Dot11Radio0.

    Aaron

    ---

    ~
    ~ Hello all,
    ~ I have a general question about access points
    ~ and IRB. I was wondering why do we have to
    ~ enter 'bridge irb' on the AP? What does
    ~ IRB have to do with this? Why does the AP
    ~ have a BVI1 interface?
    ~ I must admit
    ~ I don't much about IRB other than it involves
    ~ bridging so if someone can explain I would
    ~ appreciate it. Does this involved the fact
    ~ that an access point can act as a bridge
    ~ i.e. connect two wired networks?
    ~
    ~ If someone can point me to a doc that would
    ~ be great.
    ~
    ~ Thanks,

    Aaron Leonard, Mar 1, 2004