Access point on Network works but can't find an IP address for it.

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by brush-head, Aug 18, 2007.

  1. brush-head

    brush-head Guest

    Hi all,
    have just started a new job and have come across something I haven't
    encountered before and am beginning to run out of options/ideas.

    Have a small (max 60 nodes) LAN. There is a Procurve switch (can't
    remember the model number - has 48 ports) and on one of these ports a
    Linksys WAP54g access point is connected. There is only wep security
    available on this particular model and it isn't enabled. I want to
    configure it and this is where my problem presents itself.

    I have tried tracking down the IP address of the AP. I've used Angry IP
    to report all IPs on the network and accessed all devices including the
    Pro-Curve and a proper networked printer I didn't know we had! But I
    can't find an IP for the AP, so that I can reconfigure the device.

    I've managed to download a manual for the AP which covers the current
    model (includes wpa) and that says that if I connect directly to the
    only ethernet port on the AP with the CD, I should be able to configure
    it. You've guessed it - no CD.

    I could of course get a new AP but I don't know if I'll finish in a
    similar position & I think the reason is that most things have been
    configured for DHCP including this ProCurve switch and the assignment of
    fixed IP addresses seems to have been done on the basis of excluding
    specific addresses from the dhcp scope - and not in any particular order
    either. I've been used to a specific scope where ranges of addresses
    have been set aside for fixed IP and within that for particular types of
    device like networked printers, servers, and other "static" devices and
    leaving DHCP mainly for desktops and notebooks and other variable pieces
    of kit.

    Having said all this the AP works, wide open, but it works.

    Any thoughts are welcome.

    brush-head, Aug 18, 2007

  2. Hi
    First try this free application,
    http://www.softperfect.com/products/networkscanner/
    If it des not show connect the AP directly to a stand alone computer (you
    might need a cross over cable), reset it and reconfigure.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Aug 18, 2007

  3. brush-head

    Lem Guest

    Re: Access point on Network works but can't find an IP address forit.

    brush-head wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > have just started a new job and have come across something I haven't
    > encountered before and am beginning to run out of options/ideas.
    >
    > Have a small (max 60 nodes) LAN. There is a Procurve switch (can't
    > remember the model number - has 48 ports) and on one of these ports a
    > Linksys WAP54g access point is connected. There is only wep security
    > available on this particular model and it isn't enabled. I want to
    > configure it and this is where my problem presents itself.
    >
    > I have tried tracking down the IP address of the AP. I've used Angry IP
    > to report all IPs on the network and accessed all devices including the
    > Pro-Curve and a proper networked printer I didn't know we had! But I
    > can't find an IP for the AP, so that I can reconfigure the device.
    >
    > I've managed to download a manual for the AP which covers the current
    > model (includes wpa) and that says that if I connect directly to the
    > only ethernet port on the AP with the CD, I should be able to configure
    > it. You've guessed it - no CD.
    >
    > I could of course get a new AP but I don't know if I'll finish in a
    > similar position & I think the reason is that most things have been
    > configured for DHCP including this ProCurve switch and the assignment of
    > fixed IP addresses seems to have been done on the basis of excluding
    > specific addresses from the dhcp scope - and not in any particular order
    > either. I've been used to a specific scope where ranges of addresses
    > have been set aside for fixed IP and within that for particular types of
    > device like networked printers, servers, and other "static" devices and
    > leaving DHCP mainly for desktops and notebooks and other variable pieces
    > of kit.
    >
    > Having said all this the AP works, wide open, but it works.
    >
    > Any thoughts are welcome.

    You don't need a CD to configure the AP. Just connect a computer using
    a regular ethernet cable to the jack on the back of the AP (you don't
    need a cross-over cable because the the AP has an Auto-Crossover
    (MDI/MDI-X) Port).

    The default IP address of the AP is 192.168.1.245 (subnet mask
    255.255.255.0).

    Make sure that the NIC of the computer is set with a static IP in the
    correct subnet (default 192.168.1.x subnet mask 255.255.255.0).

    If you can't figure out the IP address of the AP and the default doesn't
    work, press the reset button on the back of the router for at least
    10-20 seconds. This will restore ALL factory defaults, including
    setting the AP's IP address to a static value of 192.168.1.245 and
    resetting any password that had been set to gain access to the AP's
    configuration screens.

    If you are concerned that your LAN's DHCP server has set aside specific
    IP addresses for use as static addresses (and you don't know what they
    are; but why can't you access the LAN's DHCP server and find out what's
    set aside?), note that the WAP54G can be set to obtain its IP from the
    DHCP server. So, unless there is some other device on the LAN that is
    using a hard-coded IP address to access the IP (and I can't imagine what
    that might be), you can just configure the AP to use DHCP.

    Remember to re-set the NIC of the computer you use to configure the AP
    back to obtaining its own IP address via DHCP when you are finished
    using it.

    As to encryption, regardless of what the manual says, this AP is capable
    of WPA-PSK with AES encryption. This capability was added in 2003
    (WPA2, however, may only be available in ver. 3 of the WAP54G). If this
    option is not available (when you finally get access to the AP's
    configuration utility), flash the AP with the latest firmware from
    Linksys. If you flash, (a) NEVER flash over a wireless connection,
    ALWAYS from using a wired connection, and (b) make SURE that there is no
    chance of losing power while the flashing operation is underway.

    Unless you are totally unconcerned with security, do not use WEP. Use
    WPA-PSK with AES (unless, of course, you have a RADIUS server for
    WPA-Enterprise).

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

    Lem, Aug 18, 2007
  4. brush-head

    brush-head Guest

    brush-head wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > have just started a new job and have come across something I haven't
    > encountered before and am beginning to run out of options/ideas.
    >
    > Have a small (max 60 nodes) LAN. There is a Procurve switch (can't
    > remember the model number - has 48 ports) and on one of these ports a
    > Linksys WAP54g access point is connected. There is only wep security
    > available on this particular model and it isn't enabled. I want to
    > configure it and this is where my problem presents itself.
    >
    > I have tried tracking down the IP address of the AP. I've used Angry IP
    > to report all IPs on the network and accessed all devices including the
    > Pro-Curve and a proper networked printer I didn't know we had! But I
    > can't find an IP for the AP, so that I can reconfigure the device.
    >
    > I've managed to download a manual for the AP which covers the current
    > model (includes wpa) and that says that if I connect directly to the
    > only ethernet port on the AP with the CD, I should be able to configure
    > it. You've guessed it - no CD.
    >
    > I could of course get a new AP but I don't know if I'll finish in a
    > similar position & I think the reason is that most things have been
    > configured for DHCP including this ProCurve switch and the assignment of
    > fixed IP addresses seems to have been done on the basis of excluding
    > specific addresses from the dhcp scope - and not in any particular order
    > either. I've been used to a specific scope where ranges of addresses
    > have been set aside for fixed IP and within that for particular types of
    > device like networked printers, servers, and other "static" devices and
    > leaving DHCP mainly for desktops and notebooks and other variable pieces
    > of kit.
    >
    > Having said all this the AP works, wide open, but it works.
    >
    > Any thoughts are welcome.

    Thanks for the responses guys - both incredibly useful and I'm sure when
    I get back in on Monday that I'll be able to resolve this one way or the
    other.

    brush-head, Aug 19, 2007