Access Point (not router) with mac filtering, does one exist?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Robert Blackwell, Aug 30, 2004.

  1. I just want to add wifi to my network but I don't want it to be open to any
    computer so I need mac filtering. Is there an access point that can do this?
    Robert Blackwell, Aug 30, 2004

  2. Robert Blackwell

    Robban Guest

    Hi,
    Most access points offer MAC filtering. I am using a Linksys WAP54G (AP
    only) which has MAC filtering and I have just installed MAC filtering on a
    Belkin AP of a friend.
    Advice: download the AP's user manual from the web and check the feature
    list before running to your local store.

    /rob

    Robban, Aug 30, 2004

  3. Well, I used to have an mn-500 that was not configurable when it was in ap
    mode, so that's why I'm asking.
    Robert Blackwell, Aug 31, 2004
  4. Robert Blackwell

    Sooner Al Guest

    The Buffalo WBR-G54 does that. I used mine as an access point only before I got my broadband cable
    ISP. You can also configure the Buffalo to assign specific IP addresses to DHCP clients based on the
    client MAC Address, ie. a pseudo static IP address...

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    Sooner Al, Aug 31, 2004