    access point or do i need a new modem. I'm still a bit confused.

    Thanks very much indeed.

    Andy

    AndyPr, Nov 16, 2004

  2. AndyPr

    Malke Guest

    AndyPr wrote:

    > Further to my previous plea for help I'd be very grateful if somebody
    > could just clarify what additional hardware I need before i can set up
    > my WiFi system.
    > I have a computer with a PCI wireless network adaptor card in it
    > (model MSI PC54G2). This computer is linked to the internet via a USB
    > non wireless Zyxel modem. I have a second desktop computer that I want
    > to put upstairs and share the internet connection and peripherals such
    > as printers etc. This computer has a USBwireless G network adaptor. Do
    > i just need to purchase an access point or do i need a new modem. I'm
    > still a bit confused.
    >
    > Thanks very much indeed.
    >
    > Andy

    Here is a link from Linksys which will help you in deciding what to get
    and how to set it up. Of course you don't have to buy Linksys
    equipment; I just think this webpage is laid out very well and makes
    networking much clearer:

    http://www.linksys.com/edu/

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers

    Malke, Nov 16, 2004

  3. AndyPr

    AndyPr Guest

    Hi Malke.
    Thanks very much indeed for that link. It suddenly makes everything much
    clearer to me. I appreciate it you taking the time to help me out.

    Andy

    AndyPr, Nov 16, 2004
  4. AndyPr

    Malke Guest

    AndyPr wrote:

    > Hi Malke.
    > Thanks very much indeed for that link. It suddenly makes everything
    > much clearer to me. I appreciate it you taking the time to help me
    > out.
    >
    > Andy

    Great! And *I* appreciate it that you let me know I helped.

    Malke

    Malke, Nov 16, 2004
  5. One other item you will need. Since you are using a USB modem, you can not
    connect it directly to your wireless router. So you will have to run an
    internet sharing program on the computer connected to the modem called a
    proxy. There are many out there, just do a search on the web. I used one
    awhile back called WinGate.

    But if its in your budget and want to make things easier, get a modem that
    supports ethernet connections.

    Robert Jacobs, Jan 14, 2005