    wireless network by connecting a wireless access point (via cat5 cable) to
    the router. Should I configure the WAP to use the same channel that's
    already being used by the wireless router or should I use a different channel?
    =?Utf-8?B?THVtaW5hcnk=?=, Sep 24, 2004

  2. =?Utf-8?B?THVtaW5hcnk=?=

    Jeff Durham Guest

    Linksys recommends using the same channel when setting up another access
    point. Everyone else says to use a different channel. I think you should
    use a different channel. Roaming should work as well in this situation
    where you walk with your laptop and it will switch to the stronger signal
    without losing a connection. When deciding on channel numbers, use
    non-overlapping channels. Good choices would be 1 and 6, 2 and 7, 3 and 8,
    and so on. Channels 1 and 11 would work fine too. You want to minimize the
    interference for access points that are within proximity of each other.

    As another example, let's say you had a three access points where the first
    and third access point are too far apart for their signal to reach each
    other. In that situation, you could use channels 1, 6, and 11 or you
    something like 1, 6, and 1. Even though the first and third are the same,
    they are too far apart for it too matter.

    Be sure all other settings are identical such as SSID and WEP/WPA/none. The
    only difference should be IP address and channel number.

    Jeff

    Jeff Durham, Sep 24, 2004

  3. =?Utf-8?B?THVtaW5hcnk=?=

    GuitarMan Guest

    "Jeff Durham" <> wrote in message
    > Linksys recommends using the same channel when setting up another access
    > point. Everyone else says to use a different channel. I think you should
    > use a different channel. Roaming should work as well in this situation
    > where you walk with your laptop and it will switch to the stronger signal
    > without losing a connection. When deciding on channel numbers, use
    > non-overlapping channels. Good choices would be 1 and 6, 2 and 7, 3 and
    > 8, and so on. Channels 1 and 11 would work fine too. You want to
    > minimize the interference for access points that are within proximity of
    > each other.
    >
    > As another example, let's say you had a three access points where the
    > first and third access point are too far apart for their signal to reach
    > each other. In that situation, you could use channels 1, 6, and 11 or you
    > something like 1, 6, and 1. Even though the first and third are the same,
    > they are too far apart for it too matter.
    >
    > Be sure all other settings are identical such as SSID and WEP/WPA/none.
    > The only difference should be IP address and channel number.
    >
    > Jeff

    Where did you get this information?
    GuitarMan, Sep 24, 2004
  4. =?Utf-8?B?THVtaW5hcnk=?=

    Jeff Durham Guest

    I used google and looked at a variety of sources. Linksys' documentation
    describes roaming and says to use the same channel. Everyone else said to
    use a different channel. I was successful trying it both ways. Now that I
    understand how it works, it makes more sense to use separate channels. Barb
    Bowman also had a good article on this.

    Try searching this in google:

    wireless roaming access point

    Jeff

    Jeff Durham, Sep 24, 2004
  5. =?Utf-8?B?THVtaW5hcnk=?=

    >I used google and looked at a variety of sources. Linksys' documentation
    >describes roaming and says to use the same channel. Everyone else said to
    >use a different channel. I was successful trying it both ways. Now that I
    >understand how it works, it makes more sense to use separate channels.
    >Barb Bowman also had a good article on this.
    >
    > Try searching this in google:
    >
    > wireless roaming access point
    >
    > Jeff

    Thanks Jeff...
    I was playing around with this myself and was wondering if I shoud have the
    WAP/Router and 2nd WAP set to the same channel and SSID or not.
    GuitarMan, Sep 24, 2004
  6. =?Utf-8?B?THVtaW5hcnk=?=

    Jeff Durham Guest

    Definitely use the same SSID and encryption settings to allow roaming. The

    Jeff Durham, Sep 24, 2004
  7. =?Utf-8?B?THVtaW5hcnk=?=

    Jack Guest

    Hi.

    All the settings but channel should be the same.

    Whether to use the same channel or not depends on the distances between the
    hardware units and on the sensitivity and scanning practice of the Wireless
    clients.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Since changing a channel takes few seconds try what best for you.

    Jack, Sep 25, 2004