    likely, that I'll forget something. I'm wondering if there is a way to
    log on to my home computer remotely, i.e. with Remote Desktop. How do I
    get access to my machine? My ISP is Vodafone.

    Gib Bogle, Apr 23, 2013

  2. Gib Bogle

    victor Guest

    On 23/04/2013 8:28 p.m., Gib Bogle wrote:
    > We're heading overseas for a few months, and although I will try to take
    > everything I need with me on a laptop, it's always possible, indeed
    > likely, that I'll forget something. I'm wondering if there is a way to
    > log on to my home computer remotely, i.e. with Remote Desktop. How do I
    > get access to my machine? My ISP is Vodafone.

    http://www.gotomypc.com/remote_access/remote_access
    or
    https://secure.logmein.com/
    You could also use Dropbox for your files, just in case your power goes
    off at home.

    victor, Apr 23, 2013

  3. Gib Bogle

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <kl5gmr$lsc$>, , Gib
    Bogle says...

    > We're heading overseas for a few months, and although I will try to take
    > everything I need with me on a laptop, it's always possible, indeed
    > likely, that I'll forget something. I'm wondering if there is a way to
    > log on to my home computer remotely, i.e. with Remote Desktop. How do I
    > get access to my machine? My ISP is Vodafone.

    Teamviewer - set it up in "Setup Unattended Access" mode (but don't
    install it in that mode, well, I don't think you should. I guess you
    can always turn it off).

    However, if you do a default install, it's only running erm... when you
    run it! :) But when heading away on holiday, use that option, and you
    can "name" it, and ensure you use a good password.

    It will work regardless of a changing IP, firewall, etc - it'll find the
    PC via the name via Teamviewer server.

    Awesome remote control program I think - and free for personal use.

    http://www.teamviewer.com

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Apr 23, 2013
  4. Gib Bogle

    Donchano Guest

    On Tue, 23 Apr 2013 23:18:45 +1200, Dave Doe <> shouted
    from the highest rooftop:

    >In article <kl5gmr$lsc$>, , Gib
    >Bogle says...
    >>
    >> We're heading overseas for a few months, and although I will try to take
    >> everything I need with me on a laptop, it's always possible, indeed
    >> likely, that I'll forget something. I'm wondering if there is a way to
    >> log on to my home computer remotely, i.e. with Remote Desktop. How do I
    >> get access to my machine? My ISP is Vodafone.

    >Teamviewer - set it up in "Setup Unattended Access" mode (but don't
    >install it in that mode, well, I don't think you should. I guess you
    >can always turn it off).
    >
    >However, if you do a default install, it's only running erm... when you
    >run it! :) But when heading away on holiday, use that option, and you
    >can "name" it, and ensure you use a good password.
    >
    >It will work regardless of a changing IP, firewall, etc - it'll find the
    >PC via the name via Teamviewer server.
    >
    >Awesome remote control program I think - and free for personal use.
    >
    >http://www.teamviewer.com

    I agree with everything Gib Bogle has said about TeamViewer. I use it
    on my laptop every time I'm away from my home PC. Well ... almost
    every time. I'm still wondering how I made the connection if there's a
    power cut and my PC turns off automatically via my UPS. Like how do I
    reboot my computer from a remote location and open TeamViewer after
    the reboot.

    From what Gib sez I think I can figure out how to configure TV to load
    automatically when the PC reboots, but I'm at a total loss to figure
    out how to remotely reboot the PC.

    Donchano, Apr 23, 2013
  5. Gib Bogle

    JohnO Guest

    On Apr 24, 8:08 am, Donchano <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 23 Apr 2013 23:18:45 +1200, Dave Doe <> shouted
    > from the highest rooftop:
    >

    > >In article <kl5gmr$>, , Gib
    > >Bogle says...

    > >> We're heading overseas for a few months, and although I will try to take
    > >> everything I need with me on a laptop, it's always possible, indeed
    > >> likely, that I'll forget something. I'm wondering if there is a way to
    > >> log on to my home computer remotely, i.e. with Remote Desktop.  How do I
    > >> get access to my machine?  My ISP is Vodafone.

    > >Teamviewer - set it up in "Setup Unattended Access" mode (but don't
    > >install it in that mode, well, I don't think you should.  I guess you
    > >can always turn it off).

    > >However, if you do a default install, it's only running erm... when you
    > >run it! :)  But when heading away on holiday, use that option, and you
    > >can "name" it, and ensure you use a good password.

    > >It will work regardless of a changing IP, firewall, etc - it'll find the
    > >PC via the name via Teamviewer server.

    > >Awesome remote control program I think - and free for personal use.

    > >http://www.teamviewer.com

    > I agree with everything Gib Bogle has said about TeamViewer. I use it
    > on my laptop  every time I'm away from my home PC. Well ... almost
    > every time. I'm still wondering how I made the connection if there's a
    > power cut and my PC turns off automatically via my UPS. Like how do I
    > reboot my computer from a remote location and open TeamViewer after
    > the reboot.
    >
    > From what Gib sez I think I can figure out how to configure TV to load
    > automatically when the PC reboots, but I'm at a total loss to figure
    > out how to remotely reboot the PC.

    Are TV, GTMPC etc better than just using RDP to your computer,
    combined with something like dyndns?

    JohnO, Apr 23, 2013
  6. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    On 24/04/2013 8:08 a.m., Donchano wrote:

    >> Awesome remote control program I think - and free for personal use.
    >>
    >> http://www.teamviewer.com

    > I agree with everything Gib Bogle has said about TeamViewer.

    Actually Dave Doe is the man - I know nothing!

    Gib Bogle, Apr 23, 2013
  7. Gib Bogle

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    d, Donchano says...

    > On Tue, 23 Apr 2013 23:18:45 +1200, Dave Doe <> shouted
    > from the highest rooftop:
    >
    > >In article <kl5gmr$lsc$>, , Gib
    > >Bogle says...
    > >>
    > >> We're heading overseas for a few months, and although I will try to take
    > >> everything I need with me on a laptop, it's always possible, indeed
    > >> likely, that I'll forget something. I'm wondering if there is a way to
    > >> log on to my home computer remotely, i.e. with Remote Desktop. How do I
    > >> get access to my machine? My ISP is Vodafone.

    > >Teamviewer - set it up in "Setup Unattended Access" mode (but don't
    > >install it in that mode, well, I don't think you should. I guess you
    > >can always turn it off).
    > >
    > >However, if you do a default install, it's only running erm... when you
    > >run it! :) But when heading away on holiday, use that option, and you
    > >can "name" it, and ensure you use a good password.
    > >
    > >It will work regardless of a changing IP, firewall, etc - it'll find the
    > >PC via the name via Teamviewer server.
    > >
    > >Awesome remote control program I think - and free for personal use.
    > >
    > >http://www.teamviewer.com

    > I agree with everything Gib Bogle has said about TeamViewer. I use it
    > on my laptop every time I'm away from my home PC. Well ... almost
    > every time. I'm still wondering how I made the connection if there's a
    > power cut and my PC turns off automatically via my UPS. Like how do I
    > reboot my computer from a remote location and open TeamViewer after
    > the reboot.

    I think that depends on the UPS s/w. You can probably configure the UPS
    s/w to do ask for a gracefull shutdown, question is, can you ask it to
    do a reboot? And then what if the power's not back up?

    For that type of thing, you normally need a special hardware card.

    However... what about "wake on LAN". This sometimes works as intended
    :) It is OS independent - a BIOS function.

    So... the PC is shutdown nicely by the UPS.
    The power comes back on some time later.
    The PC gets the 'wake on LAN' signal, and starts up.
    And with that, Teamviwer service is up, and you can remote back on
    again.

    So reboot the PC, and go into the BIOS settings, and see if you can find
    a "Wake on LAN" function that you can set to ON.

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Apr 24, 2013
  8. Gib Bogle

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <-september.org>,
    , Dave Doe says...

    > In article <>,
    > d, Donchano says...
    > >
    > > On Tue, 23 Apr 2013 23:18:45 +1200, Dave Doe <> shouted
    > > from the highest rooftop:
    > >
    > > >In article <kl5gmr$lsc$>, , Gib
    > > >Bogle says...

    > > >Teamviewer - set it up in "Setup Unattended Access" mode (but don't
    > > >install it in that mode, well, I don't think you should. I guess you
    > > >can always turn it off).
    > > >
    > > >However, if you do a default install, it's only running erm... when you
    > > >run it! :) But when heading away on holiday, use that option, and you
    > > >can "name" it, and ensure you use a good password.
    > > >
    > > >It will work regardless of a changing IP, firewall, etc - it'll find the
    > > >PC via the name via Teamviewer server.
    > > >
    > > >Awesome remote control program I think - and free for personal use.
    > > >
    > > >http://www.teamviewer.com

    > > I agree with everything Gib Bogle has said about TeamViewer. I use it
    > > on my laptop every time I'm away from my home PC. Well ... almost
    > > every time. I'm still wondering how I made the connection if there's a
    > > power cut and my PC turns off automatically via my UPS. Like how do I
    > > reboot my computer from a remote location and open TeamViewer after
    > > the reboot.

    > I think that depends on the UPS s/w. You can probably configure the UPS
    > s/w to do ask for a gracefull shutdown, question is, can you ask it to
    > do a reboot? And then what if the power's not back up?
    >
    > For that type of thing, you normally need a special hardware card.
    >
    > However... what about "wake on LAN". This sometimes works as intended
    > :) It is OS independent - a BIOS function.
    >
    > So... the PC is shutdown nicely by the UPS.
    > The power comes back on some time later.
    > The PC gets the 'wake on LAN' signal, and starts up.
    > And with that, Teamviwer service is up, and you can remote back on
    > again.
    >

    > So reboot the PC, and go into the BIOS settings, and see if you can find
    > a "Wake on LAN" function that you can set to ON.

    Oh shit, I forgot to add, there are often other cool BIOS functions that
    will do the same, maybe even better. Many modern BIOS's support a power
    feature, so that you can "return to last state" (no good if your UPS
    has caused a gracefull shutdown, as that state will therefore be OFF),
    but often you can set a "start always" option too. In short, when the
    PC gets power, it starts.

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Apr 24, 2013
  9. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    On 23/04/2013 11:18 p.m., Dave Doe wrote:
    > In article <kl5gmr$lsc$>, , Gib
    > Bogle says...
    >>
    >> We're heading overseas for a few months, and although I will try to take
    >> everything I need with me on a laptop, it's always possible, indeed
    >> likely, that I'll forget something. I'm wondering if there is a way to
    >> log on to my home computer remotely, i.e. with Remote Desktop. How do I
    >> get access to my machine? My ISP is Vodafone.

    > Teamviewer - set it up in "Setup Unattended Access" mode (but don't
    > install it in that mode, well, I don't think you should. I guess you
    > can always turn it off).
    >
    > However, if you do a default install, it's only running erm... when you
    > run it! :) But when heading away on holiday, use that option, and you
    > can "name" it, and ensure you use a good password.
    >
    > It will work regardless of a changing IP, firewall, etc - it'll find the
    > PC via the name via Teamviewer server.
    >
    > Awesome remote control program I think - and free for personal use.
    >
    > http://www.teamviewer.com

    Thanks! I will install and try it.

    Gib Bogle, Apr 24, 2013
  10. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    On 23/04/2013 9:19 p.m., victor wrote:
    > On 23/04/2013 8:28 p.m., Gib Bogle wrote:
    >> We're heading overseas for a few months, and although I will try to take
    >> everything I need with me on a laptop, it's always possible, indeed
    >> likely, that I'll forget something. I'm wondering if there is a way to
    >> log on to my home computer remotely, i.e. with Remote Desktop. How do I
    >> get access to my machine? My ISP is Vodafone.

    > http://www.gotomypc.com/remote_access/remote_access
    > or
    > https://secure.logmein.com/
    > You could also use Dropbox for your files, just in case your power goes
    > off at home.

    So there are a couple of remote access options. I'm going to try
    TeamViewer first.

    Gib Bogle, Apr 24, 2013
  11. Gib Bogle

    Gordon Guest

    On 2013-04-24, Gib Bogle <> wrote:
    > On 23/04/2013 11:18 p.m., Dave Doe wrote:
    >> In article <kl5gmr$lsc$>, , Gib
    >> Bogle says...
    >>>
    >>> We're heading overseas for a few months, and although I will try to take
    >>> everything I need with me on a laptop, it's always possible, indeed
    >>> likely, that I'll forget something. I'm wondering if there is a way to
    >>> log on to my home computer remotely, i.e. with Remote Desktop. How do I
    >>> get access to my machine? My ISP is Vodafone.

    >> Teamviewer - set it up in "Setup Unattended Access" mode (but don't
    >> install it in that mode, well, I don't think you should. I guess you
    >> can always turn it off).
    >>
    >> However, if you do a default install, it's only running erm... when you
    >> run it! :) But when heading away on holiday, use that option, and you
    >> can "name" it, and ensure you use a good password.
    >>
    >> It will work regardless of a changing IP, firewall, etc - it'll find the
    >> PC via the name via Teamviewer server.
    >>
    >> Awesome remote control program I think - and free for personal use.
    >>
    >> http://www.teamviewer.com
    >>

    > Thanks! I will install and try it.

    Clever chap, doing a trial, that is.

    Gordon, Apr 24, 2013
  12. Gib Bogle

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Dave Doe wrote:
    [snip]
    > Oh shit, I forgot to add, there are often other cool BIOS functions
    > that will do the same, maybe even better. Many modern BIOS's support
    > a power feature, so that you can "return to last state" (no good if
    > your UPS has caused a gracefull shutdown, as that state will
    > therefore be OFF), but often you can set a "start always" option too.
    > In short, when the PC gets power, it starts.

    Yep, Shaun the hardware man was just going to chip in with that one. ;)

    With getting programmes started at boot I've always made a shortcut to the
    start (exe) and put it in the 'Startup' folder. However that's back in XP
    days, I've not done it with W7 but there's likely a similar way.... (?)
    --
    /Shaun.

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

    ~misfit~, Apr 25, 2013
  13. In article <>,
    d says...

    > On Tue, 23 Apr 2013 23:18:45 +1200, Dave Doe <> shouted
    > from the highest rooftop:
    >
    > >In article <kl5gmr$lsc$>, , Gib
    > >Bogle says...
    > >>
    > >> We're heading overseas for a few months, and although I will try to take
    > >> everything I need with me on a laptop, it's always possible, indeed
    > >> likely, that I'll forget something. I'm wondering if there is a way to
    > >> log on to my home computer remotely, i.e. with Remote Desktop. How do I
    > >> get access to my machine? My ISP is Vodafone.

    > >Teamviewer - set it up in "Setup Unattended Access" mode (but don't
    > >install it in that mode, well, I don't think you should. I guess you
    > >can always turn it off).
    > >
    > >However, if you do a default install, it's only running erm... when you
    > >run it! :) But when heading away on holiday, use that option, and you
    > >can "name" it, and ensure you use a good password.
    > >
    > >It will work regardless of a changing IP, firewall, etc - it'll find the
    > >PC via the name via Teamviewer server.
    > >
    > >Awesome remote control program I think - and free for personal use.
    > >
    > >http://www.teamviewer.com

    > I agree with everything Gib Bogle has said about TeamViewer. I use it
    > on my laptop every time I'm away from my home PC. Well ... almost
    > every time. I'm still wondering how I made the connection if there's a
    > power cut and my PC turns off automatically via my UPS. Like how do I
    > reboot my computer from a remote location and open TeamViewer after
    > the reboot.
    >
    > From what Gib sez I think I can figure out how to configure TV to load
    > automatically when the PC reboots, but I'm at a total loss to figure
    > out how to remotely reboot the PC.

    Most desktop motherboards have an option in the bios to boot up the
    moment the power comes (back) on. If using a MS operating system, you
    may have to remove the user account password of it to share files, I am
    not sure on that.
    Certainly there are sites available acronis, some cloud sites are but
    some avenues, that will act as a dynamic dns forwarder so you can always
    get hold of your machine so long as it's up and logs itself into them.

    Peter Huebner, Apr 25, 2013
  14. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    On 23/04/2013 8:28 p.m., Gib Bogle wrote:
    > We're heading overseas for a few months, and although I will try to take
    > everything I need with me on a laptop, it's always possible, indeed
    > likely, that I'll forget something. I'm wondering if there is a way to
    > log on to my home computer remotely, i.e. with Remote Desktop. How do I
    > get access to my machine? My ISP is Vodafone.

    Teamviewer seems to work fine. In my case I'm not concerned about the
    restart issue because there will be someone in the house who'll be able
    to boot the machine if necessary. Wake-on-LAN would be nice though - I
    like my computer to get lots of sleep so it's rested and fresh when I
    need it.

    Gib Bogle, Apr 27, 2013