access drops ip replaced with win default

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?S2FyZW5NYXJpZQ==?=, Apr 7, 2005.

  1. I dont know if I am allowed to post liks or not... the detailed account of
    this issue can be viewed in the link below:

    http://www.experts-exchange.com/Networking/Q_21348495.html

    If the link doesnt work... here is a brief description:

    three machines = all XP PRO
    TWO desktops ONE laptop
    Wireless NIC intergrated into Laptop, Motorola NIC cards in desktop
    SBG900 Motorola wireless modem gateway COMCAST internet connection. 64-bit
    encryption.
    Panda Internet Security.

    the IP drops and is replaced by the windows default 169.254.xxx.xx

    I have had the cable ppl here, and they are showing a good signal. I have
    called the Motorola support ppl, and they get me going for a while, but then
    after a few hours the ip drops again.

    This has been going on for about a month. I have tried numerous routers and
    modems, but it happens on all systems with any router/modem. Within the last
    few days, i have noticed an available network showing up, but I cannot access
    it. I am starting to wonder if someone is accessing my service, and how to
    stop it.

    =?Utf-8?B?S2FyZW5NYXJpZQ==?=, Apr 7, 2005

  2. I read the link you provided describing your issue in more detail. Here's a
    test you can do: using a wire to connect your laptop, do you have and can
    you maintain an IP address? From your description of the problem, my guess
    would be no. If that's the case, you have a problem with your router.

    Peter

    Peter Bui[MS], Apr 7, 2005

  3. Hi Peter!

    As I updated the EE thread...

    It seems there might have been a few problems at play here, as evidenced in
    the posts throughout that thread. It was jumping from one issue to another,
    and my inexperience made me confuse them all.

    With a wired network, I had no problems connecting to the internet on any
    machine. I had tried three different routers and two different modems, and as
    long as I was wireless, I would lose the IP and it was replaced with the win
    default. Upon suggestion in the other thread, I checked what else was showing
    up in my networks....

    Once I installed a brand new Motorola SBG900 and matching NIC, I was
    noticing an available network that was NOT mine. I could not connect to it,
    but it was there whenever I lost signal. With Motorola tech support, I turned
    off all machines, and reset the unit and rebuilt it from scratch,
    initializing the built in firewall and setting up encryption. That was
    yesterday at 3:00PM and as of then, I have not been kicked off...

    While this is the longest I have had continuous service without being kicked
    off, it has been less than 24 hours... so I am not resting easy until it has
    been a bit longer!

    So, let me ask... is it possible that if someone were to pick up my signal,
    and gain access to my service, that it would kick me off? Could they get
    control of the network and therefore not allow me to renew the IP thru my
    router?

    :) Thanks so much for your reply!!

    =?Utf-8?B?S2FyZW5NYXJpZQ==?=, Apr 8, 2005