Access Denied

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Ed., Aug 11, 2004.

  1. Ed.

    Ed. Guest

    Don't think this is a wireless issue but wanted to Post to see if anyone
    could help.
    I have a Linksys WRT54GS wireless router with Speed Booster.
    It is hard wired to a XP Home machine.
    The wireless NIC is in a XP Pro machine. The NIC is the Linksys Speed
    Booster.

    I have a problem. If it is even a problem, I don't know. I don't know if it
    was there before or not because I never had to try to open the folders. The
    thing is I see both computers within each other. They see each other and
    each other sees the shared files or drives I have shared.

    From the XP Home machine I open the C:\ drive that is the Pro machine that
    has it shared. It opens and shows me all the folders. Some folders I can
    open and others I can't. For instance if I try "Documents and Settings," it
    opens. The same with a few others.

    But, if I try to open the folder "Program Files" it will wont' open.
    I get the message:
    " \\my computers name\C\Program Files is not accessible. You might not have
    permission to use this network source. Contact the administrator of this
    server to find out if you access permissions. Access denied." I am the
    administrator and only user. I think the same happens with the Windows
    Folder.

    I installed XP SP/2 final version build 2180 on the Pro machine but don't
    know if that did anything or not. I just happened to notice the above
    problem because I wanted to look into the Program Files folder on it from
    the XP Home machine. It may have been the same before I installed XP SP/2.

    I uninstalled XP SP/2 and ran the Network Wizard on both machines and the
    same thing. On the Pro machine in My Network Places I can access that
    "C:\Program Files" folder, but not when I try from My Network Places on the
    XP Home machine. The shared drive opens as well as some of the folders, but
    a few won't and give me the above message.

    Anyone have any idea what is going on and how to correct it? Or, is this by
    design for some reason.

    Thanks,
    Ed.
    Ed., Aug 11, 2004

  2. Ed.

    Ed. Guest

    OK, thanks for the info and appreciate that. Now we know that there is
    nothing wrong. I wasn't sure if some permissions somewhere got messed up or
    something like. I feel better now that it is the way it is supposes to be.

    Thanks Again for the reply,
    Ed.

    "Mary" <> wrote in message
    > It is by design to protect your files. You cannot share some folders in

    XP.
    > Program Files is one of those folders, as well as System folders. Help

    says:
    > "The Sharing option is not available for the Documents and Settings,

    Program
    > Files, and WINDOWS system folders. In addition, you cannot share folders

    in
    > other user's profiles."
    >
    > "Ed." wrote:
    >
    > > Don't think this is a wireless issue but wanted to Post to see if anyone
    > > could help.
    > > I have a Linksys WRT54GS wireless router with Speed Booster.
    > > It is hard wired to a XP Home machine.
    > > The wireless NIC is in a XP Pro machine. The NIC is the Linksys Speed
    > > Booster.
    > >
    > > I have a problem. If it is even a problem, I don't know. I don't know if

    it
    > > was there before or not because I never had to try to open the folders.

    The
    > > thing is I see both computers within each other. They see each other and
    > > each other sees the shared files or drives I have shared.
    > >
    > > From the XP Home machine I open the C:\ drive that is the Pro machine

    that

    Ed., Aug 11, 2004