    has hundreds of photo's in it.
    Any help appreciated,
    Cheri
    Cheri Bogowitz, Feb 7, 2006

  2. Cheri Bogowitz wrote:
    > I removed a HD from a dead computer and encased it as an external drive. I
    > get "access denied" message when I want to open the "My Documents" of the
    > old drive. How can I overcome this problem. The "My Documents" file there
    > has hundreds of photo's in it.
    > Any help appreciated,
    > Cheri

    Have a look at:-
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&sd=tech
    GreenieLeBrun, Feb 7, 2006

  3. Cheri Bogowitz

    JD Guest

    GreenieLeBrun wrote:
    > Cheri Bogowitz wrote:
    >
    >>I removed a HD from a dead computer and encased it as an external drive. I
    >>get "access denied" message when I want to open the "My Documents" of the
    >>old drive. How can I overcome this problem. The "My Documents" file there
    >>has hundreds of photo's in it.
    >>Any help appreciated,
    >>Cheri

    > Have a look at:-
    > How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&sd=tech

    or you could simply convert the external drive to Fat32 as the fat file
    system does not contain any ownership bits, this would be a better file
    system for an external drive anyway.

    you can use program such as Symantec/Norton Partition Magic (you only
    need the rescue floppy's) or you can use windows XP's convert command,
    from the command line type "convert c: /FS:FAT32" REPLACE c: with the
    external drive name.

    JD
    JD, Feb 7, 2006
  4. Cheri Bogowitz

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    JD wrote:
    > GreenieLeBrun wrote:
    >> Cheri Bogowitz wrote:
    >>
    >>> I removed a HD from a dead computer and encased it as an external
    >>> drive. I
    >>> get "access denied" message when I want to open the "My Documents" of
    >>> the
    >>> old drive. How can I overcome this problem. The "My Documents" file
    >>> there
    >>> has hundreds of photo's in it.
    >>> Any help appreciated,
    >>> Cheri

    >> Have a look at:-
    >> How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&sd=tech
    >>

    > or you could simply convert the external drive to Fat32 as the fat file
    > system does not contain any ownership bits, this would be a better file
    > system for an external drive anyway.
    >
    > you can use program such as Symantec/Norton Partition Magic (you only
    > need the rescue floppy's) or you can use windows XP's convert command,
    > from the command line type "convert c: /FS:FAT32" REPLACE c: with the
    > external drive name.

    Convert will only convert FAT/FAT32 to NTFS, not the other way See
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;214579

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus