Access Denied errors when trying delete a WIndows XP folder

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by farseer, Feb 11, 2007.

  1. farseer

    farseer Guest

    Ok, for years i've had to deal with this on and off. Now that i am
    all grown up and over 30, i figured i should stop procrastinating and
    ask why this happens and how to resolve. Here's the issue

    I have a website i am putting together. At times this means i need to
    delete and create folders depending on what i'm doing. I tend to do
    this for my "themes" folder for my website, so that i test swapping
    out new themes by backing up the original themes folder and nenaming
    the new themes folder to "theme". Now i am able to go back and forth
    with this many times. But occassionally, there will come a time where
    i can't delete the folder when i want to revert to the origianal. My
    first thought is usually that some other app, or IIS may have a file
    in that folder open. But then i go through and close all apps and
    STILL i can't delete that folder.

    IT appears there may be a lingering file lock on some files in that
    folder or on the folder itself. Does anyone know of a tool to see
    what apps or processes might have a lock on that folder? Also, since
    i am the ADMIN of my box, why can't i force a delete of that folder
    somehow?

    thanks of any advice.
    farseer, Feb 11, 2007

  2. farseer

    why? Guest

    On 11 Feb 2007 08:59:06 -0800, farseer wrote:

    >Ok, for years i've had to deal with this on and off. Now that i am
    >all grown up and over 30, i figured i should stop procrastinating and

    So why keep going on, with a long story?

    >ask why this happens and how to resolve. Here's the issue
    >
    >I have a website i am putting together. At times this means i need to
    >delete and create folders depending on what i'm doing. I tend to do
    >this for my "themes" folder for my website, so that i test swapping

    CSS will rebrand a site very quickly, so will using the same file name
    for all banners, logos. You just swap out the files.

    >out new themes by backing up the original themes folder and nenaming
    >the new themes folder to "theme". Now i am able to go back and forth
    >with this many times. But occassionally, there will come a time where
    >i can't delete the folder when i want to revert to the origianal. My
    >first thought is usually that some other app, or IIS may have a file

    IIS on your server of the remote webhosting server.

    >in that folder open. But then i go through and close all apps and
    >STILL i can't delete that folder.

    So you closed, AV, Anti Spyware, Index contents is off.

    It's not trivial to write an app to check for file locks in other apps.

    >IT appears there may be a lingering file lock on some files in that
    >folder or on the folder itself. Does anyone know of a tool to see

    A reboot works wonders.

    The best you could do is ,

    Often mentioned in 24HSHD, www.sysinternals.com see process explorer
    first, then perhaps diskmon , filemon and process monitor (which is
    part filemon and regmon together).
    or
    Make sure you have closed AV, ASpy apps, indexing, maybe even a 3rd
    party undelete recycle bin.

    >what apps or processes might have a lock on that folder? Also, since
    >i am the ADMIN of my box, why can't i force a delete of that folder
    >somehow?

    You aren't locking the folder, a process is so it's open no matter what
    account..

    Then of course you will have already tried, www.google.com or
    http://support.microsoft.com and also found

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/242131
    which points back to sysinternals from a simple search you could have
    done.

    >thanks of any advice.

    Me
    why?, Feb 11, 2007